Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bird Adivice..???

New Bird Adivice..???

I just got a bird, a cockatail, saturday, he seems pretty relaxed, he will eat and play, he doesnt seem shy, he will copy your whistles too, but hes still kind of shy about us holding him, what do we have to do to make him used to us?

another question..how do we tell if if our cockatail is a male or female?

cockatiels

males have yellow heads/faces and solid under there tails and females have stripes under there tails and females usually don't talk/whistle.So you most likely have a male
    Let him get used to you,he is most likely scared,give him treats and talk to him,Go slow!He sounds friendly.It takes time.

my tiel

my teil still doesn't like to cuddle she will sit on my knee and get her head strached she LOVES that

Teils

Teils can live 18 plus years if feed them a good diet with pellets,fresh veggies/fruits,and some seed.I feed mine Zupreem pellets and nutri-berries.Have some toys in the cage 4 or 5.My teil took a while to get used to toys.

bird talk magazine

bird talk magazine is a great magazine and was my life saver cockatiels for dummies is a great book

All i have in the cage now is food water and one toy (which he loves), and also i forget what its called, it looks like a big grape, its used to keep his beak clipped, you know what im talking about....

i tried bananas with him but he doesnt seem to like it, what else should i try?

You said females dont talk? can u teach them or dont they at all? i hope this one can be tought to talk, like i said before hes pretty nosiy and cherps alot!

here is a pic of him, so you can tell me if its a him or her.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by racing_gurl07; 10-31-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Hi there, you DEFINITELY have a female tiel Was your tiel handfed or parent raised? If she was handraised, she should be very willing and submissive to human hands, almost like a puppy dog. If she was parent raised (most pet store cockatiels are), then she should be a little apprehensive and unwilling to cuddle. I agree with crazy_caique. It takes a tremendous amount of time and loving patience to gain a bird's trust and loyalty. However, once you forge a relationship with the bird, it will last until the bird's last breath. These creatures are usually fiercely loyal to their owners to the point of jealousy. Because of that, it is a good idea to socialize your tiel by having multiple family members take turns training and taming her. Of course, take things slow. I usually give a few days to let the newly acquired bird time to familiarize itself with its surroundings. Some birds are more easily adaptable and can settle in within a matter of one or two days whereas others can take weeks.

In the meantime, keep your tiel's enviornment quiet and quite dark. Try to avoid harsh lights and loud noises. Always keep a fresh supply of water and seed and pellets. You don't need to introduce fresh foods at the moment because chances are she'll ignore them. When she HAS settled in, you can begin to introduce dark, leafy greens like kale and dark lettuce (NOT Iceberg lettuce) and carrot tops and bok choy and broccoli. Then, you can start to introduce fruits and other solids like carrots. Most birds ignore these items, so you MAY have to withhold the daily seed portion of her diet, but do not withhold food for more than a few hours at a time. Be consistent and your bird will soon catch on. Good Luck and please ask questions if you're confused and need clarification!

I also forgot...That cage looks quite small, and, from my point of view, it looks like a cylandrical cage. Is that right? If so, please return the cage and buy a rectangular cage. Cylandrical cages don't give frightened birds a corner to hide in and it confuses them. Birds should also be able to stretch their wings out and not touch the edges of the cage. You can find very affordable, bird-friendly cages at large chain stores like PetCo and PetSmart.

tiels

my female tiel DOES TALK the grape is a mineral block

teils

my teil talks because she learned it from my mom's quaker who talks like crazy,they don't live in the same cage and don't play together at all beacuse they don't get along and sweet p can hurt emmy easily,my tiel loves this toy called x-small mardi gras blocks you can buy them at birdieboutique.com What's her name?How many perches do you have in there?have three diff(one rope,one sandy*helps trim toe nails*and on wood)alwas have a mineral block or cuttlebone in with her

perches

Bells I heard tiels like but Emmy could care less even thought she has one,she likes cotton rope,safe paper,and plastic chains,perches there are soo many naturel,sandy,wood,and many more

tiels

sometimes i have more perches in don't over do it there are soooo many bird toys

we named her spike, didnt know if she was a male or female, but she seems to like that name. at the pet store one lady (the manager) said she is hand fed but this other girl i asked asid she wasnt. but she seems fine, she chirps and i go over there and she just cocks her head and wants you to talk to her, the only way she is shy is if you put your hand in the cage, but when u just look at her she will come up to you, so she doesnt seem shy at all, compared to other birds i have seen. she also has 3 perches. but i will get 3 different ones like you said.

you do the "wolf call" and she will repeate it, its so cute, she just learned that in 3 days, she didnt know it at the pet store. what words does your tiel know? to teach them words you just have to repeate alot dont you?

tiels

one peekaboo and she is learning another pretty bird

tiels

emmy doesn't wolf whistle but sweet p(quaker)does and the best talking birds i heard are the grey,quaker,and budgie/parakeet