Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new car purchase....

new car purchase....

I'm finally going to be getting a new car, and after I finished panicing about going back to a car payment... I narrowed it down to these 4. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge, good or bad with any of them.

Honda CRV
    Toyota RAV4
    Kia Sportage
    Hyndai Tucson

My neighbor just wrecked her KIA... she walked away alive but her car was a mess.. I guess thats why they say KIA stands for "Killed In Action"

Anyway I've always been partial to Pontiac,s Chevrolets and Toyotas (my dream car is a Toyota Supra ) and of those three you have a Toyota listed so I say go for it

facebook

Sorry I can't give you any advice on any of those models. But we have a Dodge Durango and really like it (except for the gas milage of course) and we also have a Plymouth Grand Voyager (for the doggies!).

Good luck on car hunting, I know what a pain in the behind it can be. All I can say is test drive and do some research and see which one fits you best!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Oh I LOVE Durangos! Not the newer ones, they are sooo ugly. But my parents have a 2001 and its AWESOME! Gas mileage isn't TOO bad, my uncles gets even worse though, like 14mpg! His has a problem though. On average my parents actually gets pretty high for an SUV, around 20 or so

SUVs though are very prone to flipping because they're top heavy. That's why I prefer cars because the wider wheelbase and not as tall!

facebook

I have heard bad things about Kias in general too. My friend had one when we were in college and she was in an accident (she was fine) bur her car was really bad.

I'd read some reveiws on them somewhere on the net first.

I don't what your looking for or what not but the Rav4's are nice, they drive nice, handle nice but are not very roomy at all. I don't know how well they hold up in crashes.

I've had a few friends who had the CRV's (about 5-7 years ago when they first came out) they weren't happy with them, noone of them have that vehicle anymore. I think they didn't handle well in the snow and had some mechanical problems. I don;t know what they are like now-a-days.

I've also known someone who crashed a Kia Sportage, the people were injured (nothing real serious though) and the vehicle was totaled! The other car (a chevy something) had hardly any damage.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I am going to reiterate what the others have said about the Sportage. I know someone who was rear-ended at red light. His Sportage was totalled, but he was not hurt. I have also heard that CRV's don't handle as well as some others.

YIKS The Kia doesn't sound like the best option. I've checked the Rav4 and CRV with my insurance, but not the Kia, I'm thinking now I should....I've read reviews on the RAV4 and CRV both are good. The tucson isn't getting as good a review, but the Kia seemed to be. anna_66 I agree I really like the Durango, but the gas would probably cost more than the car payment for me. I drive 35 mi to work 1 way and live in San Diego which basically translates into a huge gas bill even on my civic. The problem is I'm tired of trying to fit 4 big dogs into the back seat of my civic then when I have people in that same seat apologizing for all the dog hair. I think it's the pups goal in life to knock whatever sheet I put down off, so they can sit on the seats , which is why I'm aiming for a small SUV where I can put the back seats down.

What about a Jimmy then lol

facebook

Can I add one to your list?

I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander. It's similar in price to those you mentioned. I've had mine for 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. Mitsubishi is fantastic on backing their cars. It's considered a compact SUV and I think is pretty roomy. Both me and the hubby are on the fluffier side of the weight spectrum and have driven cross country in it very comforably luggage, coolers and all.

My 2 cents.

Good luck on which ever you buy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Quote Originally Posted by pnance
    . anna_66 I agree I really like the Durango, but the gas would probably cost more than the car payment for me. I drive 35 mi to work 1 way and live in San Diego which basically translates into a huge gas bill even on my civic. The problem is I'm tired of trying to fit 4 big dogs into the back seat of my civic then when I have people in that same seat apologizing for all the dog hair. I think it's the pups goal in life to knock whatever sheet I put down off, so they can sit on the seats , which is why I'm aiming for a small SUV where I can put the back seats down.
    I can totally understand that. OK you probably don't want a van, but I've heard good things about the Honda vans...good resale value, good gas milage and they go forever! But if your wanting something like the CRV I do remember a couple people on a mastiff board I belong to having a one and seem to really like them.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

My dad has CR-V. He hasn't had a problem with it so far...it's actually in great shape. I believe it's a 2003 or 2004. We take the dogs sometimes in it, it's very roomy. I live in FL so I'm not sure about the handling in the snow...but I don't really like driving it because it feels a little top heavy. Well, I drive a Toyota Corolla so I guess it would feel different...but it's a pretty nice car.

My mom had an older CR-V, we just ended up trading it in because it started giving her problems, rattling noises and such. I don't suggest older than a 2003. I don't know much about the rest of the cars.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've never consider the outlander, for some reason I thought they fell into the larger SUV catagory? Thanks for the link, I'll check those out. I didn't considered the vans for the same reason, I thought they might be on the big side for what I'd be comfortable with. I'm planning to do some test drives this weekend, which I'm both dreading and looking forward to. If I could test the cars without some of the sales people I'd be much happier. No offense to anyone who sells cars I've just had some really pushy ones before who drive me nuts.

Jeeps! We had a Gran Cherokee for 8 years and never had a problem with it. And now we have a Liberty.IMO,Jeeps are one of the best SUVS out there.
    Out of your list,i would get the Toyota or Honda.

just curious......

I see everyone saying NO to Kia's - which is cool, I used to have a sportage and hated it because I felt "lame" in it in high school when everyone else had "cool" cars....but did you notice the pattern?

Every Kia that was in an accident might have been totaled, but the people came out of it fine or with little injuries. That says something for their safety rating I would say. It is great on gas mileage, has a really good warranty, and the NEW model looks pretty cute.

That said, I would probably go with the Honda (excellent resell value and good reliability) or the Kia (good pricing and safety rating + warranty....bad resell value though)
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day