View Poll Results: would your dog protect you?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

36 50.70%
  • I hope so

12 16.90%
  • no

14 19.72%
  • not sure

9 12.68%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would your dog protect you?

I voted yes because I know Tito would, he has bit my boyfriend when we were playing rough.

I am not too sure of Bo, but he does follow Tito's lead a lot. I hope I never need to find out, he has a really strong bite, and could do a lot of damage to someone if he wanted to.

Bella is a scared cat, and runs at the sound of loud voices.

Absolutely!!
    Unfortunately he protects me from EVERYTHING, including things I do not need protection from!! Like Collin! He tries to bite him every night before he leaves when he comes into the bedroom to kiss me goodnight.

I'd say Josie would for sure. I've been walking at night and some drunks have come up to me and creeped me out, and Josie flipped out when he got too close and scared him off. I think she would protect me. We've done the "mock fighht" think and josie jumps up like she doesn't like it

I duno about Zeke..I've never needed protection to say so or not.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Depends on the dog. For most of them no--Huskies aren't known for their protective instincts. Earle does get upset when I get upset so I think he might.

The one who most people are afraid of, Heyoka, wouldn't. He's a big doofus. He'd be more likely to lick someone to death than to even growl at them!

The one who most definately would is Chum. He's a pretty unlikely choice--he's small, skinny and not very scary looking. Last winter, Stuart came home very late one night, wearing a big parka, heavy boots and hat. I was already in bed, with Chum snuggled up to me. Stuart didn't say anything as he walked into the bedroom. Chum was up, standing over me, teeth bared, seriously intending to hurt whoever was coming in. Fortunately, Stuart recognized that Chum wasn't kidding and stopped walking and started talking. Once Chum recognized his voice and I got the lights turned on, he relaxed. Every since then, I always keep Chum inside when I am home alone at night!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I don't know for sure if Finn would or not. But, I do recall one night when I was walking him in Dallas, about 3 am. There was a shady character on the sidewalk close to us and I didn't even see him at first. Finn got tense and basically kept me up against the fence to our community (I would walk outside of the fence, as that was where the grass was, between the community fence and the sidewalk and road.). At first, I didn't know what was up, but, he kept me pinned. I saw the guy, and, then I saw him cross the street. I think Finn actually intimidated him. And, once, when I was living in a house with a roommate, my ex came into the yard and didn't say anything. Finn could only tell that there was someone there, and, he started growling. Chris did the same thing that Glacier's husband did. He stopped and started talking to him. So, I know that Finn would react, but, I don't know how strongly. I hope I never have to find out!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I know SammyJ can bark up a storm if someone comes close to the door, but outside, he doesnt bark at hardly any one that comes up, and some people hes overly friendly with..I dont know what he would do I someone came in and I didnt tell him to stop..umm prob run and hide..lol..lol.but I love him any way..lol..

I voted, "I hope so."

Kia's growled at someone only once. In my old apartment, the sliding glass door faced the parking lot. A guy was coming up the walk to the main door and Kia's hairs went up and she growled, then barked. She's never done it since.

If Andy and I hug, she'll bark and try to seperate us. Sometimes when I wrestle with Andy, or my dad, or my sisters, she'll bark and whine, but she's never attacked them if they come at me.

Dad once hid behind some trees with a mask on. He ran out at my friend and I. We screamed. Kia tucked tail and ran away.

So again.. I hope so.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I voted I hope so...Micki I know would definately, and I am the only one in my family he would protect, the only problem we have now is he is constantly trying to protect me from everything. Jack, probably not...Mini, not me but she would my mom or dad, Shadow and Kyra...maybe.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Of course! She protects me so much when we are on the street with her, especialy if I am alone, and my dad isnt with me.....
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

I voted no. Casey will usually run for cover if she hears anything and bubba might want to but he is too small to help much.

Although I was at a lake onetime out on a raft and yelled for casey and she swam out and acted like she was swimming out to save me.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I found out the hard way! When i was going out with my bf he went to hug me and she stepped in between us and started growling ans snarling.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Our bassets are way too laid back for that...

I don't think Camen will protect me in a way of attacking someone but he will bark once or twice to people he dosn't know yet, But he is still young and i think that most dogs who are protective are older pups.
    So maybe he will when he get's older.

No way! If Payson sensed danger he would run and hide!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Tango would depending on the situation, if someone was attacking me she's definitley try her very best to stop them but if someone just broke into the house she'd probably bark and the hide nehind me lol (she's not the bravest dog in thw world...). Keeva and Winston would NEVER let anyone just walk in the door uninvited let alone attack someone in the family, they're both very protective of their home and family. Tia's too much of a chicken, she'd probably just run and hide in the corner until she felt it was safe to come out (definitely not your typical Dachshund)...

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller