Thread: How to handle Ferret with my cold?

Hybrid View

How to handle Ferret with my cold?

I found out that Ferret's are the only domesticated animal that can catch colds from humans. They can also give colds to humans. When I got my ferret back from my father mine had a cold. I shortly got one after that!
    Now, I've taken on a cold again. I am very nervous about handling my ferret. I wash my hands before handling food or her. However, I am still worried about transmitting my cold to her. She's been through alot and I don't want her to get sick again.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? No gloves because she hates gloves and wants to "bite" them. I feel really bad that I haven't played with her much. Do you think it is still too dangerous to play with her until I get well?
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

You must limit your contact with your ferret until you are all better. Hand wash prior to any handling of your baby, but keep your distance. A cold only lasts a few days so she'll be ok until you are well again. I too have a cold too and my ferret boys are feeling a bit neglected but it is in their best interest that I stay away as much as possible till the cold is gone. It's really hard cause they are just so darn cute, but I would never forgive myself if I made them sick. Take your vitamins, get lots of rest and get better soon.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

A common cold is only contagious for the first 2-5 days after symptoms appear so he won't be neglected for too long.

I think it would be safe to say that you can let him run around and the such just don't handle him unless you have to. Picking him up to move him to & from his cage and for cleaning his cage should be fine. Myself & a lot of my friends have done so for years & years and never had a ferret catch a cold. Pretty much you just don't want to snuggle with him or handle him TOO often. And wash your hands before & after handling him.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.