Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retractable Leads/People!

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    My problem is the dogs actually snap the little nylon line that comes out of the handle.
    Really? Not ours and Niņo has broken several other leads.

Niņo & Eliza

That makes me mad to!People should not walk their dogs if they can't controll them,One time I was walking Chica in a park when I saw another dog on a very long rope tied to a tree.Well the dog got up and started running towards me and Chica.It reached us before you knew it. I started screaming and picked up Chica in to my arms. The owner was not around during this episode.That scared me to death. I thought that dog would bite me or Chica. But I got away from it real fast!!! I was fuming MADDDD!!!!!

I hate retractable leashes! Not only do you have no control over your dog, they can hurt people! I dont know how many times I've seen people tripped by them, and last week when i was at the dog beach someone had their dog on a retractable leash and my dog was off leash and went to go play with their dog, but the other dog didnt want to play so i went over and grabbed Sam's collar. The leash wrapped around my arm and the dog took off and the leash cut my arm! I have this really huge gash in my arm right where my elbow bends! Those leahses just arent safe!

I hate retractable leashes for that reason! If you're going to be in public or walking on the sidewalk, your dog NEEDS to be close to you for that exact reason!!!

Too many times have customers come in to petco with their dogs on retractable leashes fully extended and while checking the customer out the dog wanders off and ends up knocking over all kinds of stuff and ARGH!! Eitehr train your dog to have MANNERS or get a 4ft leash!!!

facebook

I used a retractable leash for the most park when Amy, Audrey, & I went hiking and such with the dogs. However, Kiara is the ONLY dog i'd ever use one on and she uses it with a harness.

She has a strong enough recall if in the case it snapped, she'd come right back to me. I don't think i'd ever use one unless i'm walking in the woods somewhere away from people, and never would I use one on Simba & Nala. Their recalls aren't nearly as strong as Kiara's.

The leash isn't the problem, it's idiotic and irresponsible people.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    The leash isn't the problem, it's idiotic and irresponsible people.
    My sentiments exactly! Both examples given by Jessica and Neo_lover are the result of poor training, not the leashes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

They don't make one heavy enough for my crew which is ok. If I go to the lake I just use a horses lung line I can haul it in faster than the retractables. I always take them to where no one is. I am sure the ugly part of the chow wouldn't come out of Dugan but I also don't want to put him, me or any one else at risk. I also have them braced so Lady can be an anchor if I yell sit she does stops him cold.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by Corinna
    They don't make one heavy enough for my crew which is ok.

Actually they do,it just costs a small fortune and is a special order item! I have one for Kayleigh. Supposed to be good for dogs up to 200 pounds. I love that thing and it has made vast improvements to Kayleigh's life. Kay is highly dog aggressive. The retractable leash means I can walk her from the house and don't have to drive into the middle of nowhere which in turn equals more walks for Kayleigh. I can control her, keep her as close to me as needed and when no other dogs are in sight, she can roam a bit.

Retractable leashes are a great thing, when used correctly.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

i think that if retractible leads are used properly, they are ok. i walk my dogs on retractible leads everyday.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    I agree, the only time I use my retractable leash is when I'm out camping or hiking. They are very unsafe, not just to dogs, but to people as well --- I can't count the number of times I've been clotheslined by retractable leashes. They can give you VERY deep and painful slices. I had my legs completely sliced up when my neighbor and I were walking our dogs one day.
    It can cause more damage than that. There was a lady in the newspaper not to long ago who, because of her retractable leash, had to have 2 fingers amputated.

I think they just get in the hands of the wrong people sometimes. Both the people and the dog need training before using one.

i dont like them. Mostly because some people walk dog-aggressive dogs with them and they dont have as much control. I use regular nylon 20ft leashes for my two if we take them to the beach or something like that. My two are way to strong for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    There was a lady in the newspaper not to long ago who, because of her retractable leash, had to have 2 fingers amputated.
    In my experience, the cheaper retractables are the ones that can amputate. They are the ones that use a string like material. The more expensive ones actually have a nylon, leash like line. I guess anything being reeled in a high speed can cause injury, however.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Quote Originally Posted by Lobodeb
    In my experience, the cheaper retractables are the ones that can amputate. They are the ones that use a string like material. The more expensive ones actually have a nylon, leash like line. I guess anything being reeled in a high speed can cause injury, however.
    The ones I've seen has a nylon leash for the first X amount of feet, but the rest of the line is a string. Hmm..

facebook

The retractable Amy (wolf_Q) has for Nebo is all nylon leash.... I wanna get one of those, it was really nice.

(You can see it in this picture)

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Lobodeb
    Well, yes, but most uneducated people are the same people that want the cheapest one.

I personally don't like them. I like keeping my dogs close so I really have no use for them. I just have leather 6ft leads. And, if I want to let them roam, I just let them off leash.