Thread: Fatty cysts

Fatty cysts

I was wondering if anyone had any info on how to prevent a dog from getting fatty cysts? Bear has about 10 over his body, and I've already had 2 large ones removed. I just discovered 2 more lumps on his chest I'll be making a vet appointment to have checked this week. When he first came to us he had a large mast cell tumor. The vet removed it and he's been cancer free for over 3 years, but any new lump has to be checked which is why I'm trying to figure out how to prevent all these fatty cysts. Any suggestions???

Far as I know you cannot prevent them, they just happen. Both of my dogs have had them. When I find a new one we go to the vet, aspirate the lump and view it under the microscope to ensure that it is just fat and then we leave it alone, unless it gets really big.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

As I understand it, many things can cause these sebaceous cysts.
    My daughter's dog Opie was one who had these for years. They were
    removed by her Vet. I've read causes such as breed, food allergies,parasites
    and even heredity. I found an article with some causes & treatments here....

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=424
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks lizbud the link had a lot of great info.

Queen of Poop we do the same thing with Bear. With so many I'm guessing he feels a little like a pin cushion..

Poor thing, I hope he stays alright..

Lypomas

or fatty tumors are benign tumors of fat cells. Obviously a fat dog will have more fat to develop additional tumors. Thus keeping your dog a reasonable weight will help cut down a little on the frequency. However some breeds (e.g. Labs) are prone to Lypomas.

As was suggested it's important to have each new one aspirated and checked. Usually a Lypoma will have a soft feel, and be totally detached from any underlying tissue. The local Vet can easily determine if the cells are fat cells or not under a microscope.

One caveat... if a previously checked Lypoma suddenly enlarges (i.e. most fatty tumors grow at a slow rate), then it should be removed and sent off to pathology. It is possible although rare for cancers to arise out of the center of a Lypoma.

Thanks everyone,

Bear has always had a weight problem which is probably where he's getting all the cysts. He weighed about 110lbs (~30lbs overweight) when we first got him, we've now managed to drop him to 85 lbs which is what he's holding. He's on Science Diet R/D and even that has to be cut with green beans or he'll gain weight. I walk him 3 X a week, but because he has arthritis in his backlegs excersize is a little bit limited with him. We always have the cysts checked, it's gotten to the point when the vet sees our name on the appointment list she walks in carrying a couple of syringes and slides w/o even asking...

Hey i am so glad to have found this thread Senorita has a few lumps on her too, her breed Presa Canario is prone to them, but i still worry that they are cancer, we had one checked with needle they took out some fluid and she said (vet) that is was consistant with a fatty tumor , but soon after the vet did that it has grown even bigger but now it is shrinking again, we are going to have it removed but the vet said it would cost about $400.00 so i am saving for it.
    Is it normal for them to shrink? and enlarge?

senorita02, Bears don't usually shrink, although a couple slowly grow so we have to keep and eye on them. With him, we have each lump vet checked because of his history and just because 1 is a fatty cyst doesn't mean another one is. Our vet usually recommends to just leave them and keep an eye on them, unless they start bothering him, which is what happened with the 2 I already had removed (1 under his armpit and another on his chest).

Well Senorita has a few of them on her, one is much larger than the others, but the way the vet checked it was by sucking the fluid out with a needle, now is this the same as having it removed and sent in? Is the needle sucking as accurate??

what was bears history with is other lump?

They normally take a needle suck out the fluid and check the cells on a slide under the microscope (called asperating (sp??)). Yes it is accurate, but its not the same thing as a vet suggesting to remove a lump and send it for a biopsy. If the vet is unsure or isn't confident in the slide that the cells are all just fat, they usually recommend a removal and biopsy. See dragondawg post and lizbuds link for more info about lumps.

When we first adopted Bear he had a large lump on his stomach that was diagnosed as a mast cell tumor (basically a cancerous tumor). The vets removed it and he hasn't had a reoccurence in about 3 years, but any lump makes us nervous.

Aww i am so glad Bear is healthy now.
    But i do understand being nervous still.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop
    Far as I know you cannot prevent them, they just happen. Both of my dogs have had them. When I find a new one we go to the vet, aspirate the lump and view it under the microscope to ensure that it is just fat and then we leave it alone, unless it gets really big.
    I heard the same.