Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2005!!

Baseball 2005!!

MMMMMM...

The smell of freshly cut grass, hot dogs (Grilled, not steamed!)
    kids yelling for an autograph, peanut shells underfoot...

The first draft beer and the foam that sticks to your lip....

The first pitch, crackle of that broken bat, the sound of the "horsehide" booming into the firstbase man's mitt washes over the hushed fans waiting for the
    umpire to thrust his fist up and point to the first base bag - the boos (or cheers, depending on who is playing where)..

It's time for baseball........

And remember to get your scorecard.

You can't tell the players without it!!!!

Good luck to everyone and let's PLAY BALL!!!

P.S. O.k. Sandra get out of your winter funk...
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Richard, I am totally feeling it! HUGE baseball fan here!! HUGE!! What could be better than sitting outside on a beautiful simmer day or evening, eating a hot dog, sipping a cold beer and watching baseball! Heaven!
    Go Yankees!

Go Astros!

Originally posted by jennifert9
    Richard, I am totally feeling it! HUGE baseball fan here!! HUGE!! What could be better than sitting outside on a beautiful simmer day or evening, eating a hot dog, sipping a cold beer and watching baseball! Heaven!
    Go Yankees!

Go Astros!
    where were you during the playoffs last year?

go BASEBALL
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

Yay, it's time for hokey organ grinding, hot dogs (grilled not boiled!) the smell of fresh cut grass and the slam of the bat Jennifer, I'm so thirlled to hear you're a baseball fan! Last year, Richard and I were the unofficial, "official" moderators of PT's baseball forum Yes, I did slink away in total humiliation when the mighty Yanks fell to those horrid Red Sox! Opening day here was to be tomorrow night, Yankees at Boston Sadly, it looks like we might get rained out Hopefully they get the game in! Let's play ball

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Every year for vacation we visit a city with a baseball stadium that we have never been to before, and attend at least one game at that stadium. Last year we went to Boston, then New York City. We went to two Red Sox games in Boston. We had been to Fenway Park before, but never to either of the NYC stadiums.

We wore our Boston Red Sox shirts to Yankee Stadium on the day we wanted to tour the stadium. The Yankees were playing out of town that week. They wouldn't let us tour the stadium---said they had stopped giving stadium tours after 9/11. (I personally think it was because we were wearing our Red Sox shirts! ) We did attend a game at Shea Stadium, though.

We are now planning our vacation for this summer. We are going to go to Florida this year, and will try to see the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and the Florida Marlins both in their home stadiums while we are there. My son is 15, will be 16 May 1st, and he has been to baseball games in 15 major league stadiums already.

We have also been to several of the AAA stadiums to watch the minor league teams play. This will probably be our last year of doing this as a family, because our son will be getting a part-time job after our vacation this year, and it may not be practical for him to take time off from work in the future to go with us.
    It's been a great tradition for our family.
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

Indians are my favorite team but I live closer to the reds so I have been to 4 reds games and 0 Indians games.

Originally posted by tatsxxx11
    Yay, it's time for hokey organ grinding,
    Here in lost angeles we had the most wonderful woman play the organ, Her name is Helen Dell - god knows is she still is alive.....

Now we have a guy from Boston that owns the team and it's those pop music clips that are played over the stadium PS system

Sandra,

Don't lie....you didn't slink away.....

That was one of the BEST post seasons I had ever seen.....

Of course, you have to count a Rick Monday home run in Montreal, and that Kirk Gibson shot in the WS.....

Soap,

Should you make it to Dodger Stadium catch a night game in July.

You can go to the walkways at the back of the stadium and look out on the Lost Angeles skyline...

Or in early April you can catch the snow capped San Bernardino Mountains just above the right field bleachers.....

But what do I know????
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

GO PITTSBURGH!!

Am I the only Pittsburgh Pirate fan here? Go, Pirates!

Richard, last year during the playoffs, I was where any self-respecting Yankees/Astros fan should be...GLUED to the TV! I love the Yankees of course and always have but those Astros, Roger Clemens is my absolute FAVORITE player in the world...just can't get enough of him!!!
    Soapet, I'm so jealous! I have been to Yankee stadium and Shea stadium and saw a Padres game in San Diego (don't remember the name of the stadium there?)but my dream is to attend ALL the stadiums. I told my boyfriend that for our honeymoon, I want to travel around the country and see the Yankee's play in every American league stadium. It would take lots of time and planning but what a great time!
    I have seen numerous minor league games as Syracuse is home to the Triple A SkyChiefs, farm team of the Toronto Bluejays. Lots of famous players have passed through, Daryl Strawberry, Carlos Delgado, Pat Kelly, Roy Holliday, ROGER CLEMENS, to name a few....
    Tonight is the Yankees/BoSox game in the Bronx. Collin and I don't have tickets but we are planning to go into the Bronx (about 20 minutes away) and go to a bar outside the stadium to watch the game.If it doesn't get rained out....*Fingers crossed*
    Sandra, are you a Red Sox fan? If so, I'll have to check the Yankee's fan rule book but I don't think I'm allowed to talk to you anymore Just kidding, I will love you anyway!

Sandra is - a Yankees fan. Love her anyway! She lives in Massachusetts now, but grew up in New Jersey, so her allegiance can be at least understood.

This is a wierd season for me, because my whole life, and many years before I was even born, the start of the season begins with "Maybe THIS will be the year!" and we won the World Series last year (Hooray!!! Finally!! Wheee heee!) so it's hard to know what to think. But Pedro is gone, and various other adjustments have happened, so we'll see - I am (remember, been a Red Sox fan my whole life) cautiously optimistic.

I've never been a huge baseball fan, although I live in the middle of the Tigers, Reds and Indians...been to only one game, and that was the Reds when I was in high school. We do try to get to 1 or 2 Toledo Mudhens games each year. Maybe this year I will make more of an effort to follow what is going on...

The stadiums we have been to over the years include Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox; Royals Stadium, and now Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals; the Ballpark at Arlington, home of the Texas Rangers; the Astrodome, former home of the Houston Astros; the Metrodome, home of the Minneapolis Twins; County Stadium, former home of the Milwaukee Brewers; Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies; Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves; Busch Stadium, home of the St. Louis Cardinals; Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs; Comiskey Park, home of the Chicago White Sox; River Front Stadium, former home of the Cincinnati Reds; Shea Stadium, home of the New York Mets; Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers; and Yankee Stadium, home of the New York Yankees (even though we didn't get to attend a game there or tour the stadium in our Boston Red Sox shirts! )

My son got Roger Clemens' autograph on a baseball the year we saw the Red Sox play in Minneapolis (in 1993). My son had just turned 4 years old, and was dressed up in white baseball pants, a Red Sox jersey and cap, and had a baseball glove and a baseball, looking for autographs. Roger came walkjng across the field toward the dugout, which we were close to, and my son said "Wagew Cwemens, can you pwease sign my basebaw?", holding the ball out towards Roger as he did so. Roger looked up at Alex, and then looked down, then looked up at Alex again and came over and signed the ball for him. He handed it back to Alex, and said "Here you go, buddy". He signed one other autograph that night, for an elderly man standing nearby. That was it.

Alex got a lot more autographs from players over the years, but that was by far the most exciting one. They don't come over to him to sign for him as much any more, because he's not such a cute LITTLE kid anymore. It was a LOT of fun while it lasted, and we still absolutely love going to the different stadiums every year. It's been a lot of fun, and takes us to a lot of cities, where we tour historical areas, museums, etc. We've always considered these vacations to be sort of like long, fun, educational field trips with our son! He has traveled more and seen more places in his almost 16 years than most people travel and see in their entire lifetime!

Deb

By the way, not only was that ONE of the best post-seasons ever, it was THE best post-season ever!

GO RED SOX!!!

Deb

Karen, Soapet, did you happen to see the game last night?

Collin and I got lost going to the Bronx so we decided to just go to the ESPNZone in Times Square to watch the game...Fun, great crowd!!!

Soapet, have you ever been to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown NY York? It's wonderful and the town, although small is beautiful. I went to college about 15 minutes away so I went often.
    That's great that your son has Roger's autograph! Roger has a reputation for being a not-so-nice guy sometimes. He used to come to Syracuse when he was with Toronto for exhibition games and wouldn't even come out of the dugout, said it was a waste of his time....I think he's mellowed out over the years though.
    I've thought about hijacking little kids to get autographs a few times...

Yeah, I saw the game last night. That's OK, they're just making it interesting for the long term. When it comes down to the final stretch, they'll come out on top.

Yes, we went to Cooperstown and toured the Hall of Fame while we were on vacation last summer. It was a lot of fun.......

Deb