Thread: Update on Carina

Update on Carina

First of all, sorry for the very long time I've been away from Pet Talk. This last month has been one that I rather forget, both for me and Carina. And because I've been away for so long I haven't mastered the new format and I don't seem to be able to reply to private messages.
    Liz, Karen, and everybody who sent PMs, thank you!
    I can't find the thread that Logan started about Carina, so here's the update: you may know by now that she has a torn cruciate ligament and because of her age and advanced arthritis surgery is not an option. Yesterday a vet who practices acupuncture and makes house calls came for the first treatment. She'll have treatments once a week for the next five weeks and then we will know how she's responding. For now she has to stay in a confined space, the dining room, and not even try to go upstairs. It makes me feel very guilty to keep her behind a closed door and she's very unhappy about it.
    As for me, it started about a month ago with my falling flat on my face and ending up with a black eye and scrapes on my right knee and shoulder. When all of that was beginning to heal, two weeks ago I had to drive miself to the emergency room of the hospital and stay for 24 hours because I had a swollen tongue and the glands under my jaw were down to my chest. After massive doses of hydrocortisone the swelling went down and they discharged me. The reason for this was a bad reaction to a medication which, strangely enough, I've been taking for 10 months.
    So, as you can see, life has been a bit complicated lately.
    I'll keep you up to date when I can. I'm trying to spend as much time as possible downstairs with Carina and the computer is upstairs, my time on line will be very limited for the forseable future.
    Thanks again for all your good thoughts.
    Hugs to all your pups.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

I am so sorry that you and Carina have both been dealing with so many issues. You both certainly will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Oh Alicia! I am so, so happy to hear from you! I know what a hard time you and Carina both have been having this past month! I have and will continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! And keeping everything crossed for sweet Carina that the accupuncture sessions will help! Poor girl. How tough this must be on her and on YOU! You take care of yourself, Alicia. What a wonderful Mom you are to your beautiful girl

Love and hugs!
    Sandra

Alicia,

Thanks so much for the update. I'm so sorry that bad things happen to such good people. Please take care of yourself & I hope & pray that
    things start to turn for the better for both you & Carina. It must be so
    difficult for both of you. Many strong prayers for health & happiness for
    you & your darling Carina. {{HUGS}} Liz.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh Alicia, I had no idea of the problems you and Carina are facing! I've been away from the BB a lot since Killian passed. I am so sorry about poor Carina!! My RB Great Pyr had an ACL injury. She was able to have surgery on it, but recovery time is very long and hard. I pray that things will work out for Carina. It is soooooo hard to keep them still for such a long time!
    Wow, what a horrible allergic reaction!!! Be sure to keep an Epi-pen handy. I will be praying for you both. Please try and update when you can!! Hugs.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I'm so sorry Carina has this injury. My Lacey had the same thing and had her knee operated on twice last fall (same knee) and I agree, it would be too hard on an older dog, recovery is no picnic.
    I will keep Carina in my thoughts and prayers, I hope the acupuncture helps her.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I to am very sorry to hear of all the problems, I pray it will all get better, and that she will be albe to mend and you to..how awfull all that in such a short time.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Carina. You two have certainly had a rough time. We're praying everything gets better for both of you very soon

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Alicia, I'm sorry of hearing that you and Carina are going through all this My best wishes and prayers are with you.... Hope everything goes better, you deserve it so much (((hugs)))
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

It's good to hear from you, I'm just sorry to hear your last few months haven't been so good both for you and Carina.

I do hope that Carina responds well to her treatments and I know you'll be spending as much time as possible with her to make sure she doesn't get too lonely downstairs

I hope you both feeling better soon.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

You certainly have had a rough time. I hope things will get better for you soon. Hoping that the accupuncture makes Carina feels better, and that you can get your meds straightened out. Hugs and prayers going out for you and Carina.

Oh my dear Alicia! I've been thinking and praying for you and precious Carina everyday since I read about her injury. I figured when you didn't PM that it's been tough. You were so kind and sweet and caring when Cody had his 2 ACL surgeries. You know how much I love Carina; she was the 1st GR I met on PT (DOTD) and I was hooked ever since. Poor darling angel. I know how hard it is to keep them immobile and "isolated" when their daily routine is to follow you everywhere. Cody seemed to understand and accept it both times but it still broke my heart. I slept in the family room for weeks. I sincerely hope that the acupunture helps her. That would be awesome. Please try to keep in touch as you both are always on my mind.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and medication reaction! I had a similar reaction after many months, though not as bad. I thought that pretty weird too. I hope you're OK now.
    I love you and miss you, my friend. {hugs} Karen & Logan

I've been Boooo'd!

Alicia, thanks for the update. Poor beautiful Carina, and poor you too.
    Prayers and positive healing thoughts on the way.
    {{hugs}}

Chris

Alicia,

Just checking in to let you know you & Carina are still in my thoughts
    and prayers. I do hope the acupuncture treatments are helping Carina
    and that you too have recovered from your fall.How is Carina taking her
    confinement & can you tell if the treatments are helping her any? I pray
    you both are back in the best of health soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt