Thread: what would you do?

what would you do?

I have a cat (Guy) who I rescued from a busy street late at night about a year and a half ago. He is very sweet, but has many health problems: epilepsy, IBS, and is almost deaf. Aslo he seems like his back end is painful (walks funny). He is being treated for those things, but the meds only help so much. He is about 9-10 years old now. Most of the time he sleeps.
    The only time he seems happy is when he cuddles with me when I go to bed at night, but that time is limitted since I also have another cat and a dog who all want attention too.

Most people think I should put him to sleep. I want to end his suffering, but when I get into bed at night and he purr-purr-purrs, I always think "maybe he's okay". He seems so happy at those times.

I think I know the answer to this, but want/need to hear from others also.
    This is so hard to think about.
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    If he's not in pain and is not suffering, treasure the moments you have left with him and let him live out what time he has left with you. Trust me, you will miss him when he's gone. Pamper him, let him sleep and give him what love you can without ignoring the others.

He may be old and slow, but if he's not in any pain or suffering, why end his life now? Seems senseless to me. If you don't have the desire to keep him going, perhaps find someone who will let him live out his last months or years in peace.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Sadly enough, I think he is suffering quite a bit.
    For awhile he did spend a little time looking out the windows, but can't even do that anymore. Also his IBS is getting worse and his back-end is stiffer than before.

One of the reasons I am asking about this is because my last kitty that died (Kedi in 2002), I kept alive for too long and have always felt so guilty about it. I kept thinking he would get better, but in the end he was so bad.
    People come over here and say "that poor cat. You should let him go".

{{{Yorkster}}}

I haven't seen you post in ages. It's good to hear from you, but ... for such a sad delemma...

What does your vet say about Guy's prognosis and suffering level? Is there medicine that will reduce his pain? If not, and if the vet holds out no hope, it might be time for him to go ahead to the Rainbow Bridge.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

HI Amberlee!

The last time I spoke to the vet, he felt that there were not any meds that could help with his pain because of the fact that he takes phenobarbitol (spelling?) for his epilepsy. There could be drug interactions with some type of pain killer. At least that's the way I understood it. I plan on calling for another apt. on Monday to ask again about it.

he seems like his back end is painful (walks funny).
    Wonder if he has arthritis? If that is the cause of his discomfort, I would think there might be something the Vet could give him for relief - something that wouldn't interact with the Phenobarb.

you mean like glucosemine?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkster
    you mean like glucosemine?
    Exactly. Not sure if it is safe for cats though.

This is a very difficult question to answer. I've had to only put one of my furkids to sleep before and I wanted to do it before he was too far gone. I always tell people that their furkid will let them know when it's time and I believe this. Hopefully your vet will help you decide what's best for Guy.

If he does have arthitis then maybe you could try giving him some cosequin. I've been giving this to both Sunny and Storm but for their bladder instead of arthritis because it's also supposed to form a protective lining around the bladder to help protect them from UTI's. Storm will be 10 in January and he's still very frisky and active so I know that this will help keep him active too. I order mine online.

You might get a small electric heating pad and let him sit on it. My old cats seem to love that. This is a tough situation.

My thoughts are with you !

Scott

I am taking him to the vet next week to see if there is something that can help.
    He is already on 2 types of meds, special food and food additives.
    Right now he does not have much of an appetite either.
    My poor kitty

Thanks for everyones thoughts and advice.