Thread: Kitty Asthma

Kitty Asthma

Thought Id describe out kitty asthma experience, because it seems theres alot of questions about how it shows up, etc.

My roomie and I moved into a new apartment a year and a half ago. Got a kitten soon to keep my 2 year old cat happy. My cat is Oliver, her new baby is The Professor. (yes yes i know)

Soon we had water leakage problems in the house and developed black mold. Most know that this is a super dangerous strain of mold.

For about a month he was doing this hacking coughing thing. Like, leaning forward and....hacking. We assumed a nasty hairball so I got him some hairball meds. His hacking attacks were getting worse and no hairball. Then one day, I hear this heavy breathing. I search around and finally find Profski (his nickname) hunched over in a corner, barely breathing. His nostrils were super flared out he was gasping for air. He was completely un-responsive to me when usually the sight of either of us he makes those cooing noises and flops over to expose belly for a rub.

I panicked and rushed him to the emergency vet around 9 PM. They threw him into an oxygen box. A few hundred bucks later and lots of blood tests for my poor baby, he has asthma.

He gave him a shot to help the current attack, a prescription of steroids to help in massive attacks like such and a human asthma inhaler for him for small attacks. We moved ASAP and he hasnt had an attack since. But when he did, we used a toilet paper roll around his mouth to admin. the inhaler.

Hes ok now, but the vet said he was way young for it and probably due to the mold.

But hope this answers questions...

I was wondering how you were able to use a human metered dose inhaler for a cat. The toilet paper tube sounds like a great spacer! I hope your kitty feels better.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb