Thread: Fleas???

Fleas???

I've had dogs all my life. Chica is my first small breed. She is itching and has small bumps (smaller than a mosquito bite) on her back and butt. I've never had a dog who had a flea problem and I'm in new territory here. Our cat isn't bothered and itchy. Not sure what this could be.

In combing through her light blonde coat I am not seeing any "flea dirt" and I am not seeing any tiny black critters on her anywhere. We saw the vet a month ago and they took a skin scraping. No mite infestation. Vet recommended a special shampoo and conditioner for sensitive skin. Vet prescribed an antibiotic which we completed exactly as prescribed.

I suppose I should mention that I run a pretty tight ship here and the house is clean!

So here we are a month later with more of these little bites/spots. (As to the amount of these things, I'd say she has 3 - 5 on her right now. There's never been a lot of them at once.

I've bathed her in baking soda. I've used the shampoo the vet recommended every week. I hate to see my baby girl having any discomfort.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
    Lenore

Do they look like hives? Might it be an allergic reaction to something? Have you changed her food or tried any new treats lately? Or this time of year, it could be airborne allergies ...
    I've Been Frosted

What breed is she, and how old?

Any chance of photos, of Chica and of these bumps?

It does sounds like an allergic reaction. But more info will be helpful.

take a blow dryer to her to see the skin and look for bugs. is she on a topical poison like frontline?
    confortis is what is working , most others are not.
    although i do not myself use any of those you need to first determine if there a re bugs. does the cat go outside? cat fleas love dogs. there is a difference, dog fleas do not like cats.
    if no bugs then you ned to start the process of elimination of "allergens" in the environment outside and in. too many to list here.
    then move to diet!