Thread: Stupid question 102... Leaving for 1 or 2 nights....

Stupid question 102... Leaving for 1 or 2 nights....

I am going to be away for one or two night max and wonder if it makes sense to call in a strange woman to feed them once... or if it would be easier on the cats NOT to have anyone they don't know coming in?

I will call a cat sitter if needed - one has my keys but has not ever been needed since I moved here in Jan and have not been gone overnight yet.

What do you think... Less trauma for cats is what I am thinking? I can leave plenty of dry food and water and clean litter... and call her if needed to go in in case I don't get back like I plan to.

Sylvi
    See KITTY ART by SylviAnn
    www.SylviART.com/T-shirts

See KITTY ART for CAT LOVERS!!!

some attachments (hopefully)

pic of my elderly father who HATE cats and his suprise when my current furball problem KITTY "Mandy" crawled into his lap!

Some other of my ART on T-shirts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Father+Cat+crop+JPEG.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	24411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catnip-Trippin--150jpeg-squ-corners.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	713.6 KB 
ID:	24412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BABY-CREEPER--w-PESKYcat.bmp 
Views:	98 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	24413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THROW-PILLOW-w-PESKYcat.bmp 
Views:	66 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	24414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLEEEZEbeMINE-thumbnail-jpeg.bmp 
Views:	80 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	24415  

See KITTY ART by SylviAnn
    www.SylviART.com/T-shirts

See KITTY ART for CAT LOVERS!!!

The last two times I was out of town (for about a week each time), I had a friend who LOVES animals pet-sit. (She volunteers at a horse sanctuary, because at any other sort of animal shelter she would want to bring all of the animals home.) I had her come over to the house one evening a few days before I left, to introduce her to the kitties. They both got along well with her and were just fine when I got back! (The litter boxes were a bit full, but that's another issue.)

Perhaps if your pet-sitter was willing to come around and meet your kitties, you can assess how they react to her/him and determine whether you can have her check on them. Otherwise, if it's only two nights they might be all right with a supply of dry food and a substantial water fountain.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Leaving 1 or 2 okay alone

I say if your gone for a weekend then leaving enough food and water is enough. However, 3 or more days consult a boarding place or petsitter. Your vet may also do boarding. Mine does and is cheap.
    I just recently pet sitted. I found that the cats did not eat for a day after their owner's were gone. It was the "stress" of them not being around that they didn't eat much the first day. They were also "less active" during that period as well.
    I've left my dogs for a weekend before and have returned to food still in their bowls! They wouldn't eat much until I got back. Unfornately, when Scooby had his "stroke" a few years back. He wouldn't go to the bathroom unless I took him. He was at the vet's office for a week for treatment/observation. I had to go there every day they were open and walk him myself to get him to go! Unfornately, I wasn't aware of this fact until he wet himself in the vet's visitation room and fell in it!
    So I say, make sure the person you leave the animal with is familiar with the animal prior to the pet sitting. Let them walk the animal alone. That way the dog will fill comfortable with them. Otherwise, I say enjoy your weekend and let them enjoy theirs from taking care of you all the time!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".