Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new puppy- help

new puppy- help

we lost a cocker spaniel this summer. me and my mom have decided we are ready to get another. my mom called someone who had a cocker puppy for sale for 100 dollars. we are going to go look at it tomorrow. i have ALWAYS wanted a black and white cocker. and that is what it is. but the thing is- my 1 year old dog, molli, is in her first heat. and this puppy is a male. will he make her pregnant?? or be aggresive toward her?? the puppy is only 9 weeks. we plan to get molli spayed this fall. (hopefully)

and also, if anyone knows, molli is a toy poodle mix. she is afraid of dogs bigger than her that play too roughly with her. if molli grows up with this new puppy, will she be afraid of him? (she wasnt afraid of our old cocker, missy, because missy didnt like to play with molli)

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Only nine weeks?? Chances are his testicles haven't even dropped yet, so I would say no. But I recommend getting them fixed ASAP, especially if they are going to be living in a house together.

facebook

ya lol he wont be able to make her pregnant nor i dont think will he try , but get them fixed asap and i hope you dont plan on breeding them! i know what you did with your rabbits and hope your not planning on making another mistake. get picstures asap too you should get some of mollie(sp?) and if you get the puppy him too. good luck
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

well i would never breed dogs- especially mixed. i wouldent want to take the risk of my dog or the puppies dieing from birth problems. i get too attatched. well we are for sure getting molli spayed this year. not the pup of course. i would LOVE to post pics, but my mom doesnt have a digital camera. my dad does so i take pics of his animals. maybe someday my mom will get a digital camera. thanks for answering!

anyone else know about my other question?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    well i would never breed dogs- especially mixed. i wouldent want to take the risk of my dog or the puppies dieing from birth problems. i get too attatched. well we are for sure getting molli spayed this year. not the pup of course. i would LOVE to post pics, but my mom doesnt have a digital camera. my dad does so i take pics of his animals. maybe someday my mom will get a digital camera. thanks for answering!

anyone else know about my other question?
    why arn't you neutering the boy?
    I doub't there will be a problem with playing just have to watch them close
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

boys can get testicle deaseses as they age if they dont get fixed and various other diseases my male dog isnt fixed but boy i wish he was hes got many problems .. anywho great to hear about not breeding your dogs! they shouldnt fight im sire millie would put the pup in its place if it bothered her . why dont yuou ask your dad if you can bring his cam to your mums for a day?
    See ALL my pets here

I'm about 99.9% sure that the ad you described is a puppy either from a Backyard Breeder or a Puppy Mill. First off, no decent breeder would advertise in the newspaper, good breeders have waiting lists for their dogs because they are involved in showing and working their dogs. Second, there is no possible way that a breeder can get the parents health checked, show the parents, get frequent vet check-ups on the puppies, get 2+ dewormings and all of the necessary shots and only charge $100 per puppy ~ my guess is that the pups have recieved the bare minimum of shots, if any, and the parents had no work done. They probably are not AKC registered either, which is a MUST! If you don't buy from a breeder that does all of these screenings, showing, vet checks and has AKC registered puppies, you are only supporting and encouraging the massive overpopulation of dogs in our country.

I thought you were volunteering at a shelter? Don't you see ALL of the dogs being euthanized every day? Haven't you seen plenty of sweet, wonderful small-breed puppies come in and out of the shelter? Supporting BYB's and Puppy Mills kills homeless animals, period. PLEASE don't buy from these people and support more litters down the line, and more overpopulation! Please consider paying an extra $400+ for a well-bred puppy from a reputable breeder, OR better yet rescue a homeless puppy from a shelter.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

i meant i cant get the boy pup spayed THIS year. it would be to young. i suppose i could ask him to bring the camera. thanks for the replies everyone!

bckrazy- my mom and i do not want a registered dog. that doesnt matter to us. and we would never get an unhealthy, puppy mill dog. thats for sure! maybe they did breed their dogs for no reason. and the pup needs a home. that doesnt mean they didnt take good care of the puppies. (and i am not saying i support back yard breeders either) as long as it is healthy, and comes from a decent home, i am willing to give him a home. i am volenteering at a shelter. they get one small dog about once every year. in about 9 out of 10 cages they are all labs. they do have a bichon mix, but it does not get along with other dogs. btw- if everyone followed the rule of only getting a registered dog, there would be 10 times more dogs in shelters!! and my shelter is no-kill

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    i meant i cant get the boy pup spayed THIS year. it would be to young. i suppose i could ask him to bring the camera.

bckrazy- my mom and i do not want a registered dog. that doesnt matter to us. and we would never get an unhealthy, puppy mill dog. thats for sure! maybe they did breed their dogs for no reason. and the pup needs a home. that doesnt mean they didnt take good care of the puppies. (and i am not saying a support back yard breeders either) as long as it is healthy, and comes from a decent home, i am willing to give him a home. i am volenteering at a shelter. they get one small dog about once every year. in about 9 out of 10 cages they are all labs. they do have a bichon mix, but it does not get along with other dogs.
    It's never "too young" to get them spayed or neutered... as long as you have all their puppy shots taken care of, you can get them spayed or neutered. O_o Unless theres some rule I've never heard of before, my parents adopted a 2.5 to 3 month pup who was already fixed from the shelter before, and on Animal Cops the vets fix young puppies and kittens all the time when they're only like 8 to 10 weeks old.

PS: you can't get a boy spayed, anyway :P

facebook

ohhh, well we will prolly do it next spring then. i watch animal cops also! its a good show. and LOL i ment nueter. i have never had a boy dog before, (i had one for a couple months though) so i am used to saying spayed. lol

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I hope you don't mind be asking but why wait till spring? I waited that long and t.j. ran away twise looking for girlfreinds, after we got him neutered he quit.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

because my mom cant afford to get all the puppy, puppy supplies, vet bills, mollis hair cut, molli spayed, food, AND a nueter all this fall. thats why we might not get this puppy. we have to seriously think about it first.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

and i am not saying i support back yard breeders either
    If you buy a dog from a BYB you are 100% supporting them.

maybe you shouldnt get a puppy right now then if you cant afford it, save up for a year for the nuter then go out puppy looking and hey maybe they willl bring in a small pup to your shelter or better yet go looking in other shelters near you those dogs will already be nutered
    See ALL my pets here

thats what we are still deciding. today we will look at the puppy. and then my mom will look at about how much money we will have to spend. i will tell you today or tomorrow what she says!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*