Thread: Kitty has been "gagging" but no fur balls come out....

Kitty has been "gagging" but no fur balls come out....

I called the VET after being warned on another forum that perhaps she has asthma... while I thought it was something stuck in her throat. This has just gotten a bit better after I bought the LAXATONE for furballs and have been giving it to her daily for about 4 days... and I finally got the RIGHT cat food - Science Diet dry food - and some canned of the same... and STOPPED giving both kitties that Fancy Feast.

I still think it was something stuck in her throat and apparently that happens... IF it is still going on I will have to take her to the vet to get whatever it is out but it's almost stopped now!

Anyone else ever had a kitty get something STUCK in the throat that would NOT come out?

SylviART
    See KITTY ART by SylviAnn
    www.SylviART.com/T-shirts

See KITTY ART for CAT LOVERS!!!

Hello!!! This sounds so very familar to me!! In 1992, my Spunky did the exact same thing. He had asthma!!! Please get kitty checked out by the vet. At first,Spunky was on Predisone(which I ams a RN do not like). He was weaned off, and was stable for a short time, then his condition worsened. Even though his pred was increased, he got worse. I did take him to a homeopathic vet, who got things under control. Spunky did have 2 very scary episodes of status asthmatus(sp?)which is ane attack after another. I was given and did use the lower dose of pred to head off such attacks, but it did not work. So off to the emergency vet we went. Spunky was maintained on 1 homeopathic remedy and one Chinese herb remedy. He died last September of kidney disease. Personally, I do not like the Hills diet. Our cats are eating Nutro and are doing nicely, Good luck with with your kitty. Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Maybe she just needs to eat some grass. Usually if my cats are gagging unsuccessfully (if you get my drift), if I let them out to eat some of their catgrass from the pot on the balcony, they can then vomit successfully.They just seem to need to do this even if there is no hairball, it just seems to satisfy a need. Just frothy saliva stuff mixed with the grass reappears. Sometimes on the carpet - mostly on the carpet
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx
    Hello!!! This sounds so very familar to me!! In 1992, my Spunky did the exact same thing. He had asthma!!! Please get kitty checked out by the vet. At first,Spunky was on Predisone(which I ams a RN do not like). He was weaned off, and was stable for a short time, then his condition worsened. Even though his pred was increased, he got worse. I did take him to a homeopathic vet, who got things under control. Spunky did have 2 very scary episodes of status asthmatus(sp?)which is ane attack after another. I was given and did use the lower dose of pred to head off such attacks, but it did not work. So off to the emergency vet we went. Spunky was maintained on 1 homeopathic remedy and one Chinese herb remedy. He died last September of kidney disease. Personally, I do not like the Hills diet. Our cats are eating Nutro and are doing nicely, Good luck with with your kitty. Sandra
    What don't you like about the Hills diet, Sandra? My girls seem to like it. I am concerned about these dry diets though, they seem to have something in them that cats go crazy for, and even though they have wet food as well, I am concerned that ultimately they don't support kidney function. And of course they are quite expensive, so it's in the manufacturers' interests to make sure cats go crazy for them. (Bit of a conspiracy theorist, me )
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Welcome fur balls "barfed" up!

This early AM I was awakened by said kitty barfing some fur up and some fluid afterwards so I am hoping my theory is correct. She is back to her friendly self and I still think there was something stuck in her throat and hopefully it's gone now. Time will tell!

I am not saying other folks do not have kitties with asthma but I really don't believe mine has that - yet. Still watching her and will take her to the vet if she is not better now!

Sylvi

Quote Originally Posted by SylviArt
    I called the VET after being warned on another forum that perhaps she has asthma... while I thought it was something stuck in her throat. This has just gotten a bit better after I bought the LAXATONE for furballs and have been giving it to her daily for about 4 days... and I finally got the RIGHT cat food - Science Diet dry food - and some canned of the same... and STOPPED giving both kitties that Fancy Feast.

I still think it was something stuck in her throat and apparently that happens... IF it is still going on I will have to take her to the vet to get whatever it is out but it's almost stopped now!

Anyone else ever had a kitty get something STUCK in the throat that would NOT come out?

SylviART

Surely SCIENCE DIET is better than FANCY FEAST?

Just that... it's certainly cheaper in the short run than 69 cents for a tiny can of the addictive Fancy Feast but then I have done no research...

Sylvi

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat3
    What don't you like about the Hills diet, Sandra? My girls seem to like it. I am concerned about these dry diets though, they seem to have something in them that cats go crazy for, and even though they have wet food as well, I am concerned that ultimately they don't support kidney function. And of course they are quite expensive, so it's in the manufacturers' interests to make sure cats go crazy for them. (Bit of a conspiracy theorist, me )

Need to barf! LoL

Thanks! I needed some support here on my theory! YES I think especially long haired cats may NEED to barf up something once in a while much to the grief of the carpet!

Sylvi

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat3
    Maybe she just needs to eat some grass. Usually if my cats are gagging unsuccessfully (if you get my drift), if I let them out to eat some of their catgrass from the pot on the balcony, they can then vomit successfully.They just seem to need to do this even if there is no hairball, it just seems to satisfy a need. Just frothy saliva stuff mixed with the grass reappears. Sometimes on the carpet - mostly on the carpet

Hills

I just sent TopCat a Pm, but see that others have asked the same question. I do NOT like Hills dry because of the BHT, BHA, and ethoxquin that are used as perservatives. I was told to put a cat with bad allergies on their z/d, but refused when I saw that the above was in the allergy diet(z/d). Instead, Tina Peepers is eating the Royal Canin allergy diet. I have 3 kidney cats. 2 will eat the k/d canned minced(and I gag everytime I open up the can), the third stopped eating the k/d and was eating Fancy Feast. I cringed at the 12-17% protein in it. Now, Molly has decided to eat Whiskas and I am OK with the 9% protein. Molly is over 12 yrs and is failing(she gets sub q three times a week). She needs to eat or there goes the liver, and she relishes the Whiskas. The rest of the gang eat Nutro canned and are doing very well on it. I am a RN and REALLY try to give the cats the best I can, but I draw the line at the stuff that Hills put in the dry food. My vet and I have discussed this and we both agree that as long as the cats are eating and not having any adverse effects, let them eat!! I also believe(as I do with someone who is dying)in Molly's case, let her eat what she wants, she is not going to get better with the kidney disease, so she can eat what she wants. Quality of life is what I am aiming for and do not think that I have felt like a criminal giving her the food with the high protein knowing that it just might so her in faster, but by not eating and blowing her liver, she will not have a good quality of life and die much faster. IT IS NOT EASY and the cats do not make it any easier!!!
    I hope I did not offend anyone...I do enjoy all the comments and try to think about the other person's feeling when I write a post. Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Sorry but I didn't KNOW all of that.... just that they eat it!

Keep in mind that I am not educated at all on the ingredients and would not have known what the Science Diet does to a cat who is healthy or not...

I am ready to learn and eagar to try the best foods for my kitty!

Sylvi

I just sent TopCat a Pm, but see that others have asked the same question. I do NOT like Hills dry because of the BHT, BHA, and ethoxquin that are used as perservatives. I was told to put a cat with bad allergies on their z/d, but refused when I saw that the above was in the allergy diet(z/d). Instead, Tina Peepers is eating the Royal Canin allergy diet. I have 3 kidney cats. 2 will eat the k/d canned minced(and I gag everytime I open up the can), the third stopped eating the k/d and was eating Fancy Feast. I cringed at the 12-17% protein in it. Now, Molly has decided to eat Whiskas and I am OK with the 9% protein. Molly is over 12 yrs and is failing(she gets sub q three times a week). She needs to eat or there goes the liver, and she relishes the Whiskas. The rest of the gang eat Nutro canned and are doing very well on it. I am a RN and REALLY try to give the cats the best I can, but I draw the line at the stuff that Hills put in the dry food. My vet and I have discussed this and we both agree that as long as the cats are eating and not having any adverse effects, let them eat!! I also believe(as I do with someone who is dying)in Molly's case, let her eat what she wants, she is not going to get better with the kidney disease, so she can eat what she wants. Quality of life is what I am aiming for and do not think that I have felt like a criminal giving her the food with the high protein knowing that it just might so her in faster, but by not eating and blowing her liver, she will not have a good quality of life and die much faster. IT IS NOT EASY and the cats do not make it any easier!!!
    I hope I did not offend anyone...I do enjoy all the comments and try to think about the other person's feeling when I write a post. Sandra

We all try to do the best for our cats. When I buy cat food, or our human food, I try to read those labels!!! It is not easy...but we all try to do the right thing for our cats!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Got MAX CAT canned food...

I went to the local FEED store and let the lady pic out what I needed for my hairball cat problems... She gave me MAX CAT canned foods and Hill SCIENCE DIET but I am not set in stone at all and willing to try others... They are eating the SCIENCE DIET dry much to my suprise but I did not know if it was a good for them food or NOT...

Sylvi

We all try to do the best for our cats. When I buy cat food, or our human food, I try to read those labels!!! It is not easy...but we all try to do the right thing for our cats!!! Sandra