Thread: Car sickness in some dogs

Car sickness in some dogs

Hi,
    I just discovered this place and I love the forum and the pictures. Does anyone know how to stop car sickness for a malamute? I don't want drugs that would just put him to sleep. I think it is more a case of the nerves than it is the motion because he is Instantly sick before we get a block down the road. I have two Bichons and they travel very well and never get sick. I would appreciate any ideas. He seems to want to go in the car and I would like to take him.

Take him for short rides in the car, down the block or to the end of the drive way, then back home, after some time increase the distance. and hopefully after time of doing this he will be able to ride in the car. oh and do not feed before a car ride. doesnt go well. hope this works.

Before you even begin the very short rides like Sherryvic suggests, you should just let your dog hop into the car and sit in it for a few minutes while it's in the driveway. Don't even turn the engine on! Gradually increase the time he sits in the car with you, and give a treat for good behavior when you both get out. Then have him sitting in the car with the engine going (but not moving), increase the time gradually, and give a treat when he's been good afterwards. This should get him used to just being in the car uneventfully, and praise/treats for sitting nicely should encourage him not to be nervous or spastic. Then try the short little trips around the block, etc.

Good luck! We love travelling with our own dogs, and they dig it too!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

i don't know whether this is considered car sick or not but zoey used to struggle a lot on my lap last time when i travel back to my home town every 2 weeks. it is a 2 hours ride home. and for almost an hour and a half of the journey she'll be struggling a lot. she doesn't want to sit on her own but wants to sit on my lap(she's a shih tzu). and for the remaining half hour she'll get tired and fall asleep. after a few months, she got used to it and will fall asleep once she gets into the car. she still insists on sitting on my lap though.