Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet my kids !!

Meet my kids !!

Hi everyone. I have been posting and enjoying the pictures of all of your kids. I would now like to share the pictures of my kids. Let me introduce "Boy Boy" and "Girl Girl". Boy Boy is the white one with black markings. Their "daddy" named them that when he brought them. We were told it was a boy and a girl. So while I was thinking of a name, he called them "Boy Boy" and "Girl Girl". Well mommy never thought of other names and they got used to it. When I took them to get fixed, I found out I had 2 girls. Well it was too late to change their names because that is what they answer to. So the names stayed. (smile) We are such bad parents but we love them very much!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/taz1227

HOW CUTE ARE THOSE GUYS?!! AHHHH ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!!

What great Pictures!!!

Tazz, what great pictures you have! They are just too cute for words. The nice thing about having 2 bunnies of course is that they are great company for each other as well as for you....and twice the fun

Re your correspondence with Tom and calming Boy Boy and Girl Girl down.....that comes with age!!!
    The only thing I can think of in the meantime to save your carpet is a trick I learned which may help....hopefully they are only concentrating on one area of the carpeting,like in a corner, so in that spot you put down a remanent on top of the good carpet and let them have a go at that. If they are really digging hard you might have to attach the remanent to a piece of plywood with heavy duty staples, the weight of the wood should keep it fairly well in place. The nice thing is that if you have company you want to impress you can just whip that remanent into the hall closet until the company goes home.

I really do NOT recommend the tobasico sauce, even diluted. I think that's asking for trouble with delicate bunny stomachs and their tentative bunny personalities.

RE the baseboard.....although it looks kind of tacky, I was advised to nail a piece of furring strip over the baseboards and just let them have a go at that. Then when you want, you can remove the furring strip and viola!!!! the baseboard returns. Mine guys quit chewing on the baseboards after a while and I just ended up coloring in the toothmarks with a permanent marker or Old English scratch stuff.

Did you ever find a gridded litter pan?
    Just like a toddler, they WILL outgrow their bad habits....and develop other ones!!!!
    As Roseanna Roseanna Anna Danna used to say, it's Always something!!!

Hi Daisey. I posted a not for you under pet health. This is what I said: "Daisey, I really appreciate that but if you can tell me what the litter pan looks like maybe they can order it but if not I may take you up on your offer and send you the money. Is it a big pan. My bunnies are kindda big. I saw the one that "sifts" the litter but that is all I saw. Thanks again for everything." I have a wealth of patience for them to outgrow the chewing habit. I will get the remnants though and a heavy duty stapler. They do just dig and chew in the corners. But like I said, I am getting new carpet so they can go at it for now. But even when I get my new carpet I will still "bunny proof" the corners.

They are absolutely adorable!! What a pair!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Thank you Aly...I love them very much !!

Litter Pan

I am soooo sorry that I missed your note about the litter pan. Of course I would be happy to get one (or two) for you and ship them. Miss Emma weighs 6lbs something and fits in the litter box just fine with a little room to spare (sometimes she sleeps in it!!! )
    My regular email addrs is [email protected].
    If you want me to go ahead and get them and ship the litter box(es). Let me know how many and your addrs and I'll take care of it, probably early next week. If I recall they cost $15. and some odd cents.

Loved the pic, I take it they are lops, just like my bunny lady on the left.

You said that you kept the names even though they are girls!
    One of my customers thought she had two girls and named them Barbie and Daisy, they turn out to be boys and she kept their names as they where, poor rabbits.
    The reason we found out they where boys was when one mounted my Bunny lady and she gave birth to six babies one month later.

Pictured below, but they are now 4 months old, welcome to pet talk.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awww all of these adorable lop ears. I want one sooooo bad but the only way I'll get one is through adoption or rescue and thankfully for bunnies non need rescuing. Someday one will need me
    ~~ My House Is Not A Home Without A Hound ~~

I am so embarassed, I did it again...

Tazz,
    I am SOOO embarassed, I did it again to you!!! I didnt read your reply carefully enough......

YES, YES, YES, the kind of litter pan I bought (3 of them) has a shifting tray in it. So the litter can go in the bottom (and when you do that you don't have to buy the more expensive Care Fresh), then the shifting pan goes on top. Then I put in timothy hay as an incentive and before I knew it the pan was a hit. All of the urine goes right on down and mostof the little poop pellets do too. I really think it's great for bunnies. My guys will ever relax or go to sleep sitting in the box.

Hope this helps you and I apologizew for having several senior moments lately in responding.

So you want a bunny?

Dear ILUVHOUNDS,

I urge you to contact you human society. They should know of any rescue groups in your area, or they may even get bunnies in from time to time. Unfortunately with Easter approaching, summertime will see a multitude of bunnies being abandoned when they are no longer "cute" to fend for themselves in woods, parks or fields, where their life span is non-existent...a car or predator is sure to get them. Domestic rabbits do not have the survivor skills of their wild relatives and have learned to depend on humans for food, warmth and protection.
    Your dogs may or may not behave with bunnies so that is the utmost consideration...hunting breeds tend to see bunnies as sport or food and will go after them. I've heard and seen many stories on this. As I have also seen and heard many stories about how the family dog gives the bunny a bath. Personally, the people next door to my Dad have a mixed breed dog and they also have a white bunny. It's scream to watch the bunny when he is outside. He comes tearing around the corner of the house, then he croaches and waits for the dog. When the dog comes around the corner the bunny jumps him, even though he is so very much smaller. It is a priceless sight to see.
    It's worth investigating and you may even end up saving a life! Good luck!

ok Daisy...one more time. Let me make sure I know what you are saying. I get the "sifting" litter box. I saw that. But I use a different litter? Right? What kind do you recommend? No more Carefresh? Good because they are eating too much of it. Now if I put the Timothy hay in there, how will the "nasty stuff" filter through. I think I am missing something. Sorry for being dense...it is early. My bunnies aren't too pleased with me. I took their cage away because they were not using it and it was taking up space. They are adjusting now. But Boy Boy has started chewing baseboards AGAIN!! Girl girl just watches.

Not a problem Tazz

Tazz,
    Sorry I'm not being clear.
    If I have a litter box that does NOT have the grid I will use the Care Fresh. But it IS expensive.
    So I figure I can use regular (and much less expensive) kitty litter with the shifting litter box because the bunnies cannot get at and eat the litter. And actually I go even a little farther with all my litter boxes regardless of what type of litter or box I am filling...

First I put down a thin layer of baking soda, I sprinkle down about 1 cup over the entire bottom...it helps control odor. Then I'll put down about 2 inches of the granular litter and put the shifting tray on top. Then at one end...I'll put down a handful of tim hay and I leave it bunched up so that it is not covering up the entire grid, just a few inches of it. My buns got the hang of it right off, plus like I said they relax and even snooze in the tray when they're done snacking.
    Also, did you know that white vinegar is a GREAT disinfectant and odor killer for litter boxes and floors (if there's an accident)?
    I hope this helps you.

That helped a lot. It isn't that you are not clear.....I am running on reverse today. That sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. To not have to buy the "expensive" stuff would be great. I will use the last of my Carefresh and then get my new litterbox and and try some Carefresh that smells good. How about the baseboard chewing ???!!!

Baseboards

Somewhere in PT I answered this but I can't remember where...there are so many categories I forget what I do where.

At any rate, I was advised to tack up furring strips (available from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc)
    OVER the basebards. A furring strip is usually made from an inexpensive piece of pine and comes 1- 1/2 inches wide and up to 6 ft long. Then you just nail it over the baseboard. It looks a little tacky to us but the buns end up chewing on the furring strip instead of the bb.

Then when/if they work themselves out of that destructive habit, you can remove the furring strip and you have your baseboard back...... This is esp important for those of us who rent!!!!
    After I felt I could take the furring strip down I filled in the nail holes and colored in the teeth marks and the damaged part of the bb disappeared (except upon close inspection).

I've noticed that when my guys are bored is when they get destructive so I try and keep them occupied with toys, food and each other. I just bought them a wicker tunnel from Busybunny.com and they LOVE chewing on that. The trick I've found with the toys is that the toys need to be rotated so the buns don't get bored with them.
    Hope this helps.