Thread: Horse owners, I need help.

Horse owners, I need help.

Ok, My dad just purchased a horse. Don't ask me why, he just did.
    He's always loved them and decided that he deserved one in his retirement age.
    I spoke to him briefly over the phone about it (he lives in Italy with my mom and brothers).
    He told me that the horse is 5 years old and seems to have arthritis. One of his legs has an issue with a tendon.
    Does anyone know of anything that this horse can take to ease it's disconfort. Anything that I can purchase, with or without a vets prescription to mail him. Anyone have similar experiences?
    I don't know much about horses and would ANY comment, reccomendation or advise.
    thanks

Hmm..5 years old and already having leg problems? Poor guy. Does he know what specifically is wrong with him? Bowed tendon, pulled tendon...etc. If not your best bet is xrays and a vet. More likely than not...he should be icing the leg for about a half hour twice a day. (There is a boot you can purchase to pour ice in) Or at least running cold water on it. There is a very well known product called bute-it's a pain reliever for horses. There are two sides to this, however...the bute is going to mask the pain, the horse is going to feel much better, but when he decides to start running around a field he's going to do more damage to himself. Here's a blurb from a website:

"As for phenylbutazone (bute), you need to weigh the risks of administering this medication against the comfort it can provide your mare. However, one gram (one 3/4-inch pill, in most cases) per day is usually safe for extended administration. Studies that cite adverse side effects of bute are often conducted on horses receiving very large quantities of the drug--as much as four grams per day. If one gram of bute daily relieves your mare's discomfort, I would encourage you to use that strategy but observe her carefully for signs of colic."

Here are some websites to look at:
    Bowed Tendons
    Tendon Problems

I also think he should take him to a good equine vet. Horses can develop very serious issues VERY easily if they don't recieve vet attention for injuries. Colic and lameness can occur very suddenly. It concerns me that he's so young and injured, too! Your Dad probably needs to get him de-wormed and checked up by a vet anyway, to make sure he's healthy... as a horse ! mehe, I could not resist.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

The leg injury could turn into something major. I would get it checked out by an equine vet ASAP. There are some supplements that you can find, but I perfer reference through vet. Just in case it could cause soemthing else. The horse may need many rich vitamin supplements as well mixed into his feed. Good luck, and congratulations!

Thanks so much, Paula! (Lexi_Lover)

Thank you for your replies. I should be talking to my dad this weekend and will tell him to make sure he has a vet look at the new addition.

Congratulations, but contact a vet asap. A tendon issue and arthritis are two completely different things.