Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

Need some input

I have a 10 year old daughter who has just been approved by our landlord to get a companion animal. A small to medium sized dog. Her pediatric neurologist believes that Marissa having a therapy animal will help her cope with her disablities.

I'd appreciate any input that you could give me, as far as what breed of dog to get. We live in a 4 bedroom apartment, and don't have a fenced in back yard. He/SHe will be walked everyday for exercise.

As you can see by signature, I have a toddler. I'd like a dog that will be good with a toddler.

Any suggestions?

My 10 year old's twin sister LOVES Siberian Huskies, but I don't think that they fall into the small-medium sized category.
    *~*~*LoRi*~*~*

Single mom to Jennifer, 18, Kristina, 16, Marissa, 10, Caitlyn, 10, and Isabel, 2.

We have found our beautiful, loving companion dog for my disabled daughter.

Go to the shelter and rescue an animal!

Quote Originally Posted by CagneyDog
    Go to the shelter and rescue an animal!
    I am. lol

I want to know what KIND of dog to get. What would be BEST for my family.

I don't work out of the home, so I'm home all day.
    *~*~*LoRi*~*~*

Single mom to Jennifer, 18, Kristina, 16, Marissa, 10, Caitlyn, 10, and Isabel, 2.

Shelters have all kinds of dogs...so I would suggest just going there, and looking at the small-medium dogs and seeing how they react with all your children.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Thanks.

So there are no breeds in particular that can be agressive with children, that I should be warned out?

*~*~*LoRi*~*~*

The only medium size dog I had as a child was a miniture poodle. We also had standards and toys. Standards can be as small as 40 lbs...but males can be on the larger size. Now I have a giant breed, and that is not what you are looking for,so I won't even elaborate on Swissies, lol

As far as the poodles were, when I was growing up...they were raised with me and my brother since they were pups, so there were no issues. Getting a TOY poodle from a shelter, that may not have been raised with children, could be snippy with them. The miniture and standards have very loving personalities...standards in particular. They don't shed too, which is nice. Very easy to train too. Quick learners. Anyway, you may see a mix at a shelter or full bred...but reguardless, they are very nice tempermented dogs that I have had the experience of knowing and living with...I can't vouche for other breeds...but I do agree with going to the shelter and seeing which dog picks you and your kids...and which seems hesitant of young children, you would stay away from...good luck.

No, any dog can be agressive, there are no breeds as a whole that are aggressive.

I think poodles would be good for your family, what about King charles cavalier spaniels? http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cavalier...lesspaniel.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lookin4caninecompanion
    Thanks.

So there are no breeds in particular that can be agressive with children, that I should be warned out?

Well I Really think it would depend on the dog as to whether it would be child aggressive...but since you have a toddler, a toy breed might not be best, due to the fact of how fragile they are...Good Luck
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Thanks everyone!

There is a poodle mix that is up for adoption at a local shelter. He's neutered and just adorable.

Wanna see?

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/ani.../poodlemix.htm

EDIT: Here's the husky that my daughter wants.

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/ani...dogs/husky.htm
    *~*~*LoRi*~*~*

My 10 year old's twin sister LOVES Siberian Huskies, but I don't think that they fall into the small-medium sized category.
    I do not think a siberian husky would be good in your situation at all. They have a strong prey drive and a desire to run....I just can't imagine one being happy without a fenced yard to run in. They are medium-large size (40-60 lbs). They do usually love kids (mine does) but they may be too rambunctious and could knock them over, etc.

I would talk to some good rescue groups. Hopefully there are some near you that have dogs fostered in homes and have had them around children so they can tell you how they are with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CagneyDog
    No, any dog can be agressive, there are no breeds as a whole that are aggressive.

I think poodles would be good for your family, what about King charles cavalier spaniels? http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cavalier...lesspaniel.htm

Awww... they're adorable.

*puts King Charles Cavalier Spaniels on my list of potential dogs to look for*
    *~*~*LoRi*~*~*

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    I do not think a siberian husky would be good in your situation at all. They have a strong prey drive and a desire to run....I just can't imagine one being happy without a fenced yard to run in. They are medium-large size (40-60 lbs). They do usually love kids (mine does) but they may be too rambunctious and could knock them over, etc.

I would talk to some good rescue groups. Hopefully there are some near you that have dogs fostered in homes and have had them around children so they can tell you how they are with them.
    That's what I kind of figured.

I don't want to adopt a husky and have him unhappy. My daughter will just have to wait until she gets on her own to adopt a husky.
    *~*~*LoRi*~*~*

I think your best bet is to just take your children down to the shelter and have them meet all the dogs that fir your description until you find the right one. Every dog is different, is also depends on how they were socialized as puppies. I wouldn't suggest a toy breed because as stated above they are very fragile which might not be good idea if you have a toddler. You could easily find a nice mixed breed to fit your specifications. Also don't forget to look at dogs that are out of that puppy stage. Adult dogs are a lot more mellow than puppies which might be a good fit for your household.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon
    I think your best bet is to just take your children down to the shelter and have them meet all the dogs that fir your description until you find the right one. Every dog is different, is also depends on how they were socialized as puppies. I would suggest a toy breed because as stated above they are very fragile which might not be good idea if you have a toddler. You could easily find a nice mixed breed to fit your specifications. Also don't forget to look at dogs that are out of that puppy stage. Adult dogs are a lot more mellow than puppies which might be a good fit for your household.
    That's basically what I'm looking for. A dog anywhere from 5 months to 5 year of age. THey have to be neutered so a puppy wouldn't fit our criteria. Besides there are adult dogs out there getting put to sleep because no one wants a "grown" dog, just a "cute little puppy".
    *~*~*LoRi*~*~*

That's basically what I'm looking for. A dog anywhere from 5 months to 5 year of age. THey have to be neutered so a puppy wouldn't fit our criteria. Besides there are adult dogs out there getting put to sleep because no one wants a "grown" dog, just a "cute little puppy".
    That's great that you are looking to adopt an older dog! A few months ago my girlfriend and I adopted Payson, a 3 year old Jack Russell terrier mix who is just the sweetest dog I've ever met. We went to several shelters and met many different dogs before we met him and just knew that he was the perfect dog for us.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!