Thread: What can I do??

Unhappy What can I do??

This has happend before but a while ago. Feebee (my 2 yr old Dalmatian) did this bark snap thing at my neices face. She don't actually snap at their face but she barks (sounds like a snippy bark) right IN their face. She did this maybe 1 mo ago to my cousins daughter for the first time. She was standing by her mom and Feebee got up in Pam's lap for Pam to pet her so Pam started to pet her and her daughter was leaning her head on Pam's shoulder and Feebee bark-snapped in Britts face. I flipped out cauze I thought she bit her. It scared Britt and she covered her face and started to cry. But she didn't bite her there was no mark what so ever. Well my sons girlfriends parents came over to pick up Cody and sence that happened to Britt (and once to my neice) I put her in her bed (kennel) when people come over. Well they came in and before I could put Feeb in her kennel Bob started to pet her and I was telling him what she did to the kids so that is why I wanted to put her in her kennel. Well the dumb a$$ bent down and put his face in hers and went to say "No she is a good girl" and before he could finish Feebee did it to him. Why doe she do this? Is it a sign of aggession, dominace, or what? I mean she is fine with my kids. My one year old holds her nose and kisses her. She has NEVER done this to any of US! What do I do to break her or stop her from doing this. I have a 13 yr old and a 6 yr old that when their friends come over I have to put her outside or in her kennel. And if they spend the night poor girl has to be seperated from everyone. But I can't trust her. If she ever bit I would have to get rid of her. There is no question about that! And that is something that would break our hearts!!! Anyone have any suggestions? My Aunt said that when she does that take and put her in a submissive position and scold the crap out of her. But I don't want to take the chance of her biteing someone. HELP!!!!!!

I'm no expert... but it sounds like Feebee is biting out of fear. She feels threatened, because in both cases, the person was leaning in towards her, cornering her. She felt threatened when someone new entered her personal space, so was saying, in dog language, "get away."

Fear aggression is very hard to change, and a challenge to deal with. I recommend getting her to a dog behaviorist now, before she hurts someone. You can ask your vet for advice, he may know someone who can help. Or look in the phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by AngiBaby
    My Aunt said that when she does that take and put her in a submissive position and scold the crap out of her. But I don't want to take the chance of her biteing someone.
    No, that is the worst thing you could do! I hope no one ever treated her that way... training like that can lead to fear agression in an already shy dog. Positive reinforcement training is best for shy dogs (and all dogs... well, all animals actually). Chances are your trainer/behaviorist will use this method.

Good luck, I hope you and Feebee can work through this!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

No I haven't done that. It surprises me and my 1st reaction in both cases was to say FEEBEE in a low gruff voice and that is my punishment tone with her and she knows. I have NEVER hit her or anything and when I do that she beats feet to her crate and don't move till I call her out. We got her when she was 6 mos old. I got her from my friend who had her tied out all day and the minuet she came in she was put in her kennel. She couldn't put up with her hyperness (which is a trait of Dals) and how she shed. So I convinced her to give her to me. And they had her for 3 mos maybe. They got her from his boss (my friends hubby). They got rid of her for the same reason her activity level. They worked all day and they felt guilty for leaving her all alone all day. My friend is a stay-at-home mom (as I am) and runs a home daycare.
    But as for her doing it out of fear, I may be wrong, but she is the one who goes up to be pet. I'm thinking it may be a dominace thing. But yeah I will get ahold of the vet and see what he thinks. Thanks Alot

Angi

You should try getting to her level than bending over. If that dosn't work or she looks like she's going to snap-bark get a way. It could (but most likey isn't) a medical proplom. You can go to your vet and get some help.

i hope this works,

Freedogusa