Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maine Coons

Former User Guest
    I just visited you site... I have a problem to decide whether to have a orange Maine coon or silver/grey... It's just that they all look so gorgeous! Luckily it will take some years before we can take more cats, so I have time to decide. I've read a lot about Maine coons lately, and they sound wonderful cats! I have to do more reading though, concerning taking care of their fur. Do they need a lot of brushing etc? Does any one know? It's not a problem if they do, that's not why I asked
    Back to reading now

My feeling is....cats is cats. It depends on the individual cat, more than the breed, how well they get along with dogs. And, of course, a lot depends on the dog. Sweet big dogs are often wonderful with kittens...and allow themselves to be terrorized by them.

Maine Coon PURRson

Hi Casper and Kitty!

Maine Coons are definitely a difFURent breed of cats! I have a friend who has 18 cats and 2 of them are MCs... They have a PURRsonality all their own.

They are clowns, the chirp instead of purr, they are friendly -may or may not be lap cats, they have long fur but only need to be groomed once a week a good combing through the longer hair as their hair is shaggy... not all one length. I have 4 Maine Coons... 2 DLHs who look like they are part Maine Coon and 2 DSHs who I also adore...

A FURRY good place to learn more is my YAHOO group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colecoonmccats/

Our website also is a neat plae to see our cats and read my mushy love poems to them...
    http://mainecoons.org/colecoons/meet.shtml

I am FURRY willing to be a resource to anyone who is interested in the Maine Coon breed. I've done some showing and we had one litter back in December!

I'd love to be able to attach photos to these posts... for all to see... I've tried to attach photos and it doesn't work...

PURRhaps you 2 FURRY smart talented kitties could help me out! Thanks FUR starting the Maine Coon Thread!
    Carm
    Carm Cole
    Colecoon Maine Coon Cats
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colecoonmccats/
    http://mainecoons.org/colecoons/

Former User Guest
    Here's one whom I think is very cute! Rainbow Joy:

And Pride, so precious and cute!!!

This is one cute pic of Pride and Joy!

Hope you don't mind me displaying them here like this, but they are so adorable!!!

At long last ... a picture of Fluff

Some of you may remember me asking about Maine Coons a while back, suspecting my friends had one. Judge for yourselves! Fluff is weighing in at 18 pounds now ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yup, I would say Fluff, at the very least, has some MC ancestors. Wow, 18 pounds of Fluff! I thought Tubby was big when he was 15 pounds. Sounds like he's just a runt compared to some of these kitties. And Peanut definitely has some MC in her, but she is a real shrimpy at about 8 pounds. She's a little sweetie though.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Casper & Kitty,
    that picture of Pride and Joy is incredible! Those are great names too!

I have one pure Maine Coon (Wylie, orange, just over a year now), and a M. Coon/Himilayen mix (Kedi, cream, almost 8 yrs. now).
    We also have a dog (Scout, 3 yrs., Border Collie/Blk. Lab mix).
    The cats and dog get along really well. In fact, Wylie and Scout are 'buddies'- they play together, sleep together sometimes, and get into mischief together.
    We call them "Mutt & Jeff"

Both my cats like to play fetch and Wylie will follow me around the house like a dog.

The only problem we had was when we brought the dog home last summer, she had quite a high prey instinct.
    We had to introduce her to the cats very slowly- it took about 2 months before we could really trust her with them. Scout spent quite a bit of time on a leash around the house!
    Now, she and Wylie play 'chase' games with each other! It's very cute! Sometimes all three of them are laying on the bed at the same time, taking a little snooze

I wish I had seen this post earlier............

They are beautiful, sweet cats for sure, but are also such clowns

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by yorkster
    but are also such clowns
    Yeah, that's what I read too! They sound like a lot of fun! As if Casper and Kitty aren't too

O.K. O.K. I know we already had a thread going a while back about long wiskers.......... but this beautiful Joy...HAS GOT SOME LOOOOOONG WISKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

Yeah, that's what I read too! They sound like a lot of fun! As if Casper and Kitty aren't too

Are you sure Casper doesn't have a bit of MC in him?!
    He's quite the clown

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by yorkster

Are you sure Casper doesn't have a bit of MC in him?!
    He's quite the clown
    Nope, no maine coon in him... and yes, he sure can be a clown, more than you know....

here are a couple pics from someone I know on another cat-chat group.
    this is a M. Coon kitten that she just got over the weekend........his name is Chester.

another pic of Chester..............(I want one of these Snuggle Balls- I actually think my cats would use them )

Former User Guest
    Yorkster, that's one cute kittie, WOW!