Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maine Coons

Maine Coons

I wonder if anyone on the list has experience of Maine Coon acts?

My mother likes the look of them and is thinking of perhaps getting one when she retires (likely to be a few years off yet!).

The problem is she also has a large dog (collie/labrador cross) and I wondered if the cat would be able to deal with this? I have a friend with Havana cats which are very highly strung and wouldn't be able to cope with a dog in the home...

This probably seems like a dumb question but I only have experience of moggies so don't feel able to advise my mother on this!

Thanks in advance

My Livvy is a Maine Coon mix and prior to living with me lived in a home with a chow mix -- I think he was roughly 80 pounds (~36 kg??? -- sorry, I'm not good with conversions) and Livvy and Kimo got along quite well. (Usual introduction issues between cat and dog of course...) I'm almost positive that Sandra/Tatsxxx11's Oliver is a Maine Coon also -- you might see if she has comments on MC cat and dog introductions.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend that your mother go for a MC! They are adorable.
    Last edited by AmberLee; 03-18-2002 at 06:56 PM.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Our Jackson is Maine Coon. He is so calm and layed back. Since we got him, 4 dogs have been added to our house hold, along with 6 cats, 3 of those cats are still with us.

Our biggest dog, Eli, is about 80-90 pounds, and they get along well. Jackson is the "alpha" in our house, so he may rarely hiss at another pet, but he doesn't swat at them and has never gotten in a fight with any of them.

My fiancee has had cats pretty much her entire adult life, with her being a humane society half-way house for a time. She says that our Jackson is the best cat she has ever had.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Every suspected Maine Coon I have known has been pretty good with dogs, bar one, but even Pippin eventually forgave my brother - the first of the three cats to do so - for bringing home that jumpy shiny monster thingy (a Lab/Dalmatian? shelter pup who was I think 9 months old at the time), and the only one of the cats to play with the puppy! Pippin is a little, um - skittish - of new things. Were there not copious quantities of yellow fur on the couch, and many pictures/stories, I would never know for sure that he existed!

These Cooners are a hunka, hunka cat and would probably hold their own - I don't think I'd worry about the dog On second thought maybe I would worry about the dog - getting beat up by the cat that is

Speaking as one who has always been ruled by doggies and kitties occupying the same turf.....I think this can work!!! I have a Maine Coon mix, and a DLH that share the couch happily each and every night with a Lab and a Husky/Shep!!! Both BIG dogs!! Not only does my Maine Coon kitty love the dogs and follow them everywhere, I think he thinks he IS a dog!! He is their constant companion. Nothing phases Oliver!

Maine Coons are known for having very sweet, loving, playful temperments. Mellow and laid back!! I have a friend who breeds them, and they are all so gentle and affectionate! They are wonderful felines! And so beautiful

Of course, there is no telling how the dog/cat "mix" will get along. But, generally speaking, it is the dog who usually ends up "making way" for the cat! There might be one "altercation." This brief showdown usually finds the kitty decalared the "winner!" after one quick swat to the nose From there on, the dog seems to go out of her/his way to show respect to the cat. At worst, they ignore each other. My cats and dogs have always become great friends. I think the fact that the dog is "big" is of minor import. Your Mom and you are the best judge of the doggie's personality. I would be most concerned if the dog has in the past shown a strong "prey" drive. Sometimes dogs view cats as prey, as they scamper about. If your Mom gets a kitten, I think the adjustment would be a little easier for the kitty. Kitten are usually fearless! And cats that "grow up" with dogs usually come to love them and enjoy their company! Gradual, supervised introduction is the way to go! Good Luck!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Originally posted by purrley
    These Cooners are a hunka, hunka cat and would probably hold their own - I don't think I'd worry about the dog On second thought maybe I would worry about the dog - getting beat up by the cat that is
    LOL LOL You funny girl! It's true though, main coons are considered the dogs of the cat world! LOL

Former User Guest
    We've decited that when we can take more cats, we will take 2, and one of them will be a Maine Coon Too bad this won't happen soon, we have to move out first...

i think my cat is main coon. i hope so. they are so pretty.

Misty is a mix Maine Coon. She is a very independent cat. She will only be held when she wants to be. Very playful and loves her toys. She is very smart. She is the only Maine Coon I have ever had so I don't know if their all like her or not. She has a great personality.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is a picture of Lamoni when he was very young. He weighs over 20 pounds now and is a furry ball with legs.

Cooners can be porkers! Be careful how much you feed them.

Very gentle cats and oh so soft.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Wow! He must be really huge now! He looks like a big cat here, and if this is when he was really young...!!! Looks like one big ball of lovable fur though.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

BigCharles - now thats a HUNKA, HUNKA cat - what a beauty!!!

i have a Maine Coon mix and she's a sweetheart. She also lives with a doggy who's smaller than she is (Yorkshire Terrier who weighs 5-1/2 lbs) and they get along great. They play together all the time Shana weighs about 11 lbs. and is very gentle with Tiffany.

Maine Coons

I have a Maine Coon Cattery: http://mainecoons.org/colecoons/poems/index.shtml

I have a group about Maine Coons: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colecoonmccats/

My advise to anyone who is interested in any breed is to surf the WWW and visit every web-site you possibly can. There are many different looks to Maine Coons and you have to find the look that really makes your heart go pitter patter!

My MCs are from the old lines and are very shaggy coated! They are average sized. Have wonderful temperaments. We had a darling litter on 12/15/01 and they are all in their new homes. 2 littermates went together to a show home close by! They have 2 dogs husky/beagle mix. They have become Lovey and Mac's -the MC kittens' best friends!

Maine Coons are Puppy-cats! They play fetch and do tricks! They are very loyal and devoted to their PURRsons! They chirp and sing instead of meowing! Although they aren't considered to be lap cats all of mine are!

I would be very happy to answer any questions any should have about this great breed. I also have 4 domestic cats too, 2-DSH and 2DLH! Love those Moggies!!!

Feel free to email me... visit our site... join our group!

Carm
    Carm Cole
    Colecoon Maine Coon Cats
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colecoonmccats/
    http://mainecoons.org/colecoons/