Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Carting

Dog Carting

Who thinks dog carts are cruel? You know when the dog pulls weights on the wheeled thing...

I think it is very cruel. Can't it hurt them? It strains their muscles very hard...

THIS IS SO CRUEL

Did you see the picture of the little puppy they were teaching to pull? That poor dog is not old enough for that!
    Save The Seals
    The Massive Canadian Seal Hunt is going on!!
    www.protectseals.org

Some dogs like to pull things.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I don't think it's cruel at all, it's what many breeds are for. If it's done properly, with the safety of the dog being first priority, I don't see a problem with it at all. In fact, I have thought about rigging something for Finn to pull. He's not a typical pulling breed, but, sometimes I think it would do him good, as he used to be quite the puller on his leash. I think it's a great outlet for a lot of dogs. And, it can be a tremendous bonding experience between the dog and his person.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Originally posted by finn's mom
    I don't think it's cruel at all, it's what many breeds are for. If it's done properly, with the safety of the dog being first priority, I don't see a problem with it at all. In fact, I have thought about rigging something for Finn to pull. He's not a typical pulling breed, but, sometimes I think it would do him good, as he used to be quite the puller on his leash. I think it's a great outlet for a lot of dogs. And, it can be a tremendous bonding experience between the dog and his person.
    Agreed. As long as it is being done safely, it is ok.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Agreed!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Far from cruel. Most dogs are happiest when they're getting to do what they were bred to do. I've got Collies, that can be used as draft dogs, and I've often thought about getting a lil' cart for them to pull my very old Cairn Terrier in on walks.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

thats like saying its cruel to make dogs do agility and todo dog sledding and hunting ect. those dogs are bred for it and they like it if they didnt they wouldnt do it they wouldnt .....it would be illegal if it was cruel,belive me its fine
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Well said Kari! I go to a pit bull forum sometimes, quite a few people do the pulling with their pits. The dogs like it and the owners would never do anything to hurt their dogs. Its a heck of a lot better than the MORANS that use them to fight!!

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Originally posted by ParNone
    Far from cruel. Most dogs are happiest when they're getting to do what they were bred to do. I've got Collies, that can be used as draft dogs, and I've often thought about getting a lil' cart for them to pull my very old Cairn Terrier in on walks.

Par...
    Totally agree.

Some of those pics were of Swissies (which is what I have)...and I have been to several weight pull competitions (to watch) and the dogs have tons of fun doing what they do best...working. Swissies were considered the poor man's horse back in the day...and were used to pull carts of milk to people. They are a working breed and pulling carts and weight pulls are what they were initially bred to do. I know many Swissie owners and they treat their dogs just like their own kids. The dogs are not allowed to pull until a certain age and weight. Dogs love to please their owners, and there is nothing like watching a weight competition...watching the owner encourage their dog to pull that cart and the satisfaction from the dog when he does!! If the dog is unable to pull the weight, they still move the cart forward at the end of the alloted time to make the dog feel "satisfied" that it didn't fail...and will do better next time. It is loads of fun to watch. You can definately see the bond between the owner and dog as they work together to pull as much weight as they can. The owner verbally encourages the dog along, w/o touching the dog, and the dog works to accomplish it's goal...and lots of tail wagging and hugs happens after the pull is over. Fun to watch for sure.

BTW, the pic of the little Swissie puppy with the cart attached...is not old enough to pull yet, but he is being fitted for it and will carry around an empty cart to get used to it, and when old enough will pull more weight...they are most likely just trying to get the dog used to it...which is also achieved by just walking next to the dog with the cart and then later fitting it to the dog.

Swissies, Bernese, Malamutes, Huskies... and other dogs were bred for pulling heavy loads. They are the happiest when they are working. That's why they are calling Working Dogs!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I've thought about getting my moms mastiff, Zoe into it. she likes tugging and pulling. nobody else has called us cruel for it.

it is not a cruel sport

now what they are doing with that puppy...is not really cruel per say...but it's not smart....a dog shouldnt start weight pull training until about a year old and at a year they should only pull small weights, they shouldnt do anything too serious until about 18 months when their plates and joints and all that good stuff are set and grown.

if you ever get a chance to go to a weight pull event, do it, you'll see how much dogs really love to pull and please their owners, they live for this stuff

i tried it with Eli at a fun show i went to in march but he didnt understand what to do(it was his first time) so he didnt pull anything...but i'm planning on getting him a weight pull harness and training him, if he likes it then we'll hopefully go to a few fun shows and he'll get to pull
    if he doesnt like it then i certainly wont make him do it

if the dog doesnt pull then they have you get him going and praise him to boost his confidence.....there are NO losers in weight pull because as long as a doggie gives it his bests, he's still a winner now that the dog will take a trophy home or get placed, but it's all about giving it your all

here I am helping Eli cause he wouldnt pull

and here is my friends dog, he loves it

Originally posted by AllAmericanPUP
    now what they are doing with that puppy...is not really cruel per say...but it's not smart....
    You're right, but, we can't tell from the photograph if that puppy is actually being asked to pull anything...someone else mentioned this already, he may be just being trained to get accustomed to the feel of a harness. Which is perfectly fine. There's no way to really say what is going on in the photograph.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

You're right, but, we can't tell from the photograph if that puppy is actually being asked to pull anything...someone else mentioned this already, he may be just being trained to get accustomed to the feel of a harness. Which is perfectly fine. There's no way to really say what is going on in the photograph.
    the harness is being attached to the harness...that's enough of a clue for me to think he is being asked to pull the cart

the dog certainly doesnt need to be attached to a cart to be trained to the feel of the harness....that is done by attaching something like a mlik jug for some rocks in it and then slowly working your way up to pulling a cart

Originally posted by AllAmericanPUP
    the harness is being attached to the harness...that's enough of a clue for me to think he is being asked to pull the cart

the dog certainly doesnt need to be attached to a cart to be trained to the feel of the harness....that is done by attaching something like a mlik jug for some rocks in it and then slowly working your way up to pulling a cart
    My friend put her pup in a harness at a pulling show just to see how he would react. It was attached to a cart with a lot of weight on it, she was just seeing how her pup would do in a harness. It was there, she was there, so, she hooked him to it. She didn't ask her dog to pull anything. That was my first thought when I saw the photograph. But, it seems as though we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.