Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog attacks

dog attacks

While out walking my dog tonight she was attacked twice by two different dogs. The first one went off after a few seconds. Then a few minutes later a Pit Bull came at her. We finally took cover in someones yard. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on if there is anything that you could carry with you to protect yourself & your dog from these kinds of attacks.

What type and how old is your dog?
    Can you provide a few more details of the situation? Were the attack dogs in their yard? Did they run out charging at your dog? Did the dog actually "attack" or just get in your dogs face? Sometimes when I am out on a walk, neighorhood dogs that are not on leash will come out and get in my dogs face.

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

I have a 2 year old female German Shephard. The dog got loose from it's owner & ran towards us about a block away from it's home. This dog was actually attacking my dog. It bit her several times. It kept going for her butt. Luckily my dog only suffered 1 small cut.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine since I've had similiar problems and posted here about it a bit ago. I can't find the original post but some of the suggestions I was given included:
    1)Stepping in front of your dog and telling the other dog a firm no or go home. (I've found this works probably about 70% of the time) If nothing else it usually makes the other dog pause long enough for you to either to get out of their "territory" or the owner to regain control.
    2)Carry a squirt bottle or water gun and spray the dog with water. Some owners get upset, but my feeling is they shouldn't have their dogs loose.
    3)Be on alert. If it's a constant problem talk to the owners, explain the problem and ask if they could keep their dog confined to their yard. If you see a loose dog go a different way. I'm usually aware which houses have dogs and which have been problems in the past so I'm always alert to where that dog is and if there's anyway they can get out, open gate, etc.

I usually try to walk my dogs on the same day. I've talked to a couple of the owners, explained the problem (although most of them knew since they'd run out after their dogs) and told them which days I normally walk my dogs. Most have been really good about keeping them confined at least on those days.

This sounds like a tough situation. What Pnance said was a very good BUT #1 can be pretty tricky in certain situations. First, the dog may not care or may not like your presence. Second, if you are going to stand firm and say no, be confident. It is true....dogs CAN sense fear. If you can't be confident DON'T do it! It is truly sad that some owners are that neglectful of their dogs.

You should definitely talk to the owner, if you know where the dog is coming from. However, some owners may be nasty or rude towards you. I would consider contacting your local police department to see about any ordinances in your area such as: leash laws, dog bite prevention, etc. Some cities and states it is a LAW that a dog MUST be on leash if not confined by a secure fence. It is not fair to your dog - especially since she may not come out of it with one cut next time.

Hmm this is a tough one susie, i think the sqiurt bottle is a good idea, but i would switch neighborhoods, this could of been a deadly attack! He could of gone after you , if you got in the way.

I have been approached by a Pitt (stray) myself with Rita, we were terrified , but eventually he lost interest.

For me, my stainless Walther PPK [there are times when German precision matters!] with Mag-Safe rounds and custom walnut German-made grips keeps things reasonble.

Originally posted by pcarfan
    For me, my stainless Walther PPK [there are times when German precision matters!] with Mag-Safe rounds and custom walnut German-made grips keeps things reasonble.

I don't believe shooting the dog is called for at all.There are
    many deterrent sprays for dogs at any pet store.Shooting the
    animal would be my last resort & only if I was being attacked
    and feared for my life.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by lizbud
    I don't believe shooting the dog is called for at all.There are
    many deterrent sprays for dogs at any pet store.Shooting the
    animal would be my last resort & only if I was being attacked
    and feared for my life.
    I agree!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

i wasnt sure what that post meant , but now i guess she meant to shoot him??
    I dont think that is necesary either, unless he was actually killing you or your dog!

Originally posted by susie
    I have a 2 year old female German Shephard. The dog got loose from it's owner & ran towards us about a block away from it's home. This dog was actually attacking my dog. It bit her several times. It kept going for her butt. Luckily my dog only suffered 1 small cut.
    You said your dog was attacked twice by two different dogs. What did the Pit Bull do? What kind of dog was the first one?
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

I was being facetious. But if some pitbull was attacking me or my dog to the point where it was going to cause great bodily harm would I resort to that? Absolutely.

I was being facetious. But if some pitbull was attacking me or my dog to the point where it was going to cause great bodily harm would I resort to that? Absolutely.
    Why just a Pit Bull? You wouldn't shoot any other dog that was causing great bodily harm to you or your dog or do you think that only Pit Bulls are capable of such things. Nothing has even been said about what the Pit Bull actually did, if it was even a Pit Bull. I've heard many different versions of what people consider an attack: a dog nips it's an "attack", a dog jumps on someone it's an "attack", a dog looks at someone funny it's an "attack".
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

I carry muzzle mace. Not sure if it really works because I've never had to use it (thank God).

I heard once (not sure if it was on this board or not), but I heard you should carry one of those LOUD horns. Have you ever been to a hockey game or a football game and somebody has one of those LOUD air horns? I heard you can scare away a dog with one of those. But then again, you'd scare just about anything with one of those horns (myself included). I've thought about looking into getting one of those horns but I'm not sure where you buy them.