Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had a dog as a child, did you choose the same breed as an adult?

If you had a dog as a child, did you choose the same breed as an adult?

Just wondering how your childhood experiences/expectations have affected your choices for pets as an adult. For example, when I was a girl, we had a tri collie that I helped train with my dad, and it was a hugely rewarding, bonding experience for all three of us. We also had a sable collie and a golden retriever that my parents didn't end up keeping -- they didn't have the time to train the dogs and rehomed them instead to family members that lived on a large acreage.

In any case, when my husband and I went looking to adopt our first dog for our family (we have five kids), we wanted a dog that would be a great match for a family like ours -- we ended up with a tri collie much like the one I had growing up. It hadn't necessarily been our intention to find the same dog, but circumstances brought us to Bijou and we feel so fortunate to have her!

Has anyone else discovered a connection between the breeds you knew or raised as a child, and the kinds of dogs you have now?

I'm not an adult yet, but I do see myself having some of the same breeds when I'm an adult as I have had growing up/now.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Well I can't really speak for myself because I still have those childhood dogs...but I can speak for my mom and her family...

My Mom had mainly Great Danes and a variety of mutts growing up...well when she got married the first time they did have a Great dane but after she met my dad she was converted to Labs because that is what he always had and loved. After my dad's Black Lab died he always wanted another but then I came along. I think I have been a huge descision maker in the breeds we currently have, my mom never dreamed of getting a Rottie but my Aunt gave her to us and she stayed...then came a point when I really wanted a dog and I decided on a JRT, my parents had never heard of them before and now my mom says she never wants to be without one. The only reason that I was allowed to get Jack is because he is part Lab and my dad really liked the idea of having a Lab again. My mom has said that once we all move out she will get a Great Dane again...not sure about my dad.

I don't really know what breed I will choose down the road, I really like the attitude and mind set of the Jack Russells, the goofiness of the Rottweiler and the loyalty of the Lab but I doubt I will have any of these later on, most likely I will a variety of rescues, I would love to have my own herding dog rescue or pit rescue...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Yes, I would. I don't think I can live without a hound now...Buster has brought so much joy into my life and my parents life. He is sure one of a kind. I am no child but I do live with my parents right now until I get a job and get a place of my own. We did have a basset/beagle mix named Buddy and he was so sweet and every time I see a basset hound, my heart melts. I am not sure if I'd have one in the future, because I don't want to replace Buddy.

Right now we have a black lab, a rottie/yellow lab mix, a rat terrier/chihuahua mix, and a hound mix....I just wouldn't have a dog like Ginger, it's not because I don't love her, I do love her with all my heart, but I am more of a big dog person and not all for the yippy yappy types. I do love terriers, though. Oh boy, do I!! I plan on having a purebred rottweiler(from a shelter/resuce of course), a pit bull(either a mix or purebred), etc.

I don't think any dogs are ugly, but I do know what kind of dogs that don't fit my life style.

EDIT: Rocky and Jenny are from my childhood and I'd love to have their breed again, but I am living in the moment and love them to death!!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I didn't really have a dog as a child. My dad had a GSD when I was little, poor guy had to be PTS for health reasons. I still remember my Dad coming back home that day crying because of it. We also had a poodle mix of some sort that my Dad rescued from the street, but she ran away (we think she was pretty old and she went away to die). After that, we had cats so we never got a dog because of the cats. I still really like the GSD breed though. So I can say that my childhood dogs (or lack thereof) really haven't influenced me as an adult. I had Sadie though 2 months after I moved out of my parents house. I could not wait to get a dog of my own. 3 dogs later, I'm very happy.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

In a sense...I had a wonderful mutt growing up and I have a wonderful mutt now! Lady (the dog we had when I was growing up) was a yellow lab/golden retriever mix though, and Roscoe is a german shepherd mixed with something. I figure, close enough! I do love goldens and labs, but when my hubby and I saw Roscoe it was love at first sight

I've had kind of the opposite result of childhood dogs. It's led me to what I wouldn't choose in a breed.

When I moved out and decided to get a dog on my own, I had several criteria that I felt were imperative, mainly due to the Lhasa Apos we had. Not from a pet shop, easy to groom, easy to housebreak, friendly, friendly, friendly and an easier to mold temperament. Those criteria led me first to Cairns and later to Smooth Collies.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

My parents had Irish Setters when I was a child. Our last family dog, Rusty, passed away when I was 8.

My mom grew up with English Springer Spaniels. My grandparents had everything from dashunds, to springers, to dobermans.

While growing up, our first neighbors had golden retrievers that we would play with (because their kids would not - the puppy novelty had worn out and so the dogs lived in outdoor kennels ). The pair were actually dog-napped (I witnessed it) when they were running free again. Some guy pulled up in a pickup, whistled, the dogs came running, jumped in, and the guy drove off. I had hoped then that they went to a home that loved them.

The second set of neighbors had two malamutes. We helped walk, play, and bathe them. I think that's when my love of big dogs and the husky/malamute breed set in.

For some reason, I'm a medium to big dog person. Small dogs are cute, but I personally wouldn't want to own one.
    Last edited by ramanth; 09-26-2005 at 03:04 PM.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

well I will be technally an adult next month lol and I assume I will still have the same dogs I have now...but seriously I think I will always have border collies, since having BCs any dog that is not a border collie is "just a dog" to me.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

My dad had a cocker spaniel and when I was a kid we got a cocker mix. I never felt close to him, though, he was my brother's dog. I wanted a cat. And a kid I went to school with had a beautiful husky, I always remembered that gorgeous dog. (the kid was a real creep! I think is dad bought it for him so he could show it off and maybe make a few friends...)
    When we decided to get a dog, I thought about that beautiful husky again, and voila- Our Star was born! Brought her home at 5 weeks and have been sibe-smitten ever sice!

No, I had a Chiuaua and a Pekignese named Monday as a child.
    I also had a great Dane named Bear.
    My folks got rid of the Chi because it bit me. I was under 1 yrs old. I have no recollection of it.
    The Peke died of old age. He was a fun dog.
    The great Dane, my dad gave away to a collegue because our yard wasn't big enough. He was super sweet.
    Oops I forgot my poodles.... Dee Dee my dad found and brought home when I was 12. Shelly was Deedee's puppy and she is still alive and lives with my mom. She is 14 going on 15.
    I am so exited. I will get to see her in ecember.
    Now I have 2 bostons.
    Last edited by beeniesmom; 09-26-2005 at 03:38 PM.

When I grew up my dad had hunting dogs, a setter of some kind and a beagle. When I turned seven, we got a poodle. I still have a weak spot for poodles and one day may have one. Right now I like my big doggies! My Dad said to me after Lacey and Mandy were just past puppyhood, "why can't you get a poodle?" He's tired of my big dogs! My RB Corey was a shepherd/collie and was nearly 100 pounds. I've also had a couple other shepherd/collie mixes and a shaggy dog that looked like a cock-a-poo since I've left home.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Originally posted by ParNone
    I've had kind of the opposite result of childhood dogs. It's led me to what I wouldn't choose in a breed.
    Ditto

I grew up with a Pomeranian named Muffin, and I don't think I will ever own one. I, too, am more of a big dog person and would have all big dogs, but my parents like small dogs.

My parents also had a GSD, but I barely remember him. He was put to sleep(due to his hips) when I was only 3-4, but I still hear about him so I know he was really something

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

We did not, but it is not because the breeds we had growing up were not great dogs. Growing up, I had mostly Australian cattle dogs, but I also had a miniature poodle, a beagle, and mixed breeds. My husband mostly had beagles, but also had labs. When we started researching what dog breeds were best for our lifestyle and environment, we eliminated ACDs and beagles because of the level of activity that they require. Bassets were a much better choice for us at this point in our lives.

actually i´ve never doubted, huskies to me!!!

my dad had a weimaraner as a kid, and my mom had a German Shepherd, and a maltese mix, so when i asked for a dog they thought i´ll end up with a small breed maybe a cocker or a poodle but what happened i came with a HUSKY hahahaha!!

ever since i mostly have had huskies, i also had a Belgian Sheepdog, a couple of Cockers, a Malamute, a Rottie and some Poodles, just fostering, but my true love are Huskies.

I might add that i would also have some of these breeds: Bull Terrier, Pit bull, Borzoi, Dane, Std. Poodle, Pomeranian, Doberman, Aussie, Chihuahua and many others but i think 17 years later i´m still with huskies i´ll stick to the huskies, and why not? i just LOVE THEM ALL!!!!

HUSKIES RULE!!!!