Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Get Your Dog To Walk Right

Unhappy How To Get Your Dog To Walk Right

Our dog Beau is a yellow labrador and we love him. But every time we go for a walk he pulls and pulls! He has a harness but it dose'nt stop him! How can we get him to stop?
    R.I.P Shira

Thanks flamepony12 For The Awesome Siggy!

Phoenix is the same way i always use a harness and i just found one a couple of weeks ago that is made for pullers

It's a Halti harness it's not the one the goes over the nose it's a regualar harness but it works great it hits a pressure point and they don''t pull you can get it any pet store it's alittle expensive like $28.00 but it's worth it

Good luck

We have a harness for pulling anf it dose'nt work
    R.I.P Shira

Obediance classes would help or if you are just looking for a quick band aid fix you could always get a halti, the ones that do go on their face like a horse's halter would. We bought one for our Rottie Shadow and it stops pulling immediatly however this is not completely fixing the problem of course because when you don't use it the dog will still pull.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

The only obedience classes here are $160 for 2 weeks every monday evening
    R.I.P Shira

I just started obedience for Roscoe, and the trainer said that when he pulls say 'easy' and quickly jerk his leash back several times. Never say his name when you are trying to discipline him, then if he runs away or something and you call his name he will think he is being punished and won't come to you. It seems to be working with Roscoe so far. Good luck!

Roxy is the same way. i do the pulling thing with her...like jen said, i do something like that
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I trained my dogs to walk nice on a leash by turning around and going the opposite direction when they pulled. By doing that they learned to focus on me and not where they were trying to get to in a big hurry. After doing that a few times they now walk really nicely. They know how to heel but I rarely make them heel on a walk because I want them to enjoy their walk so I let them walk a little bit ahead of me but they still have to walk with a loose leash.....

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

My Buffy is the same way, even though she can't actully pull me since she is a teacup chihuahua! But she always chokes herself with her collar and starts to wheez.. but I think I need to go buy a harness if i an find one small enough

160$ For 2 Weeks? Thats Alot Of Money! Our Obedince Class Is 8 Weeks For 86 Dollor And We Learn Alot
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

How long is your leash? What material is it?

I found that everyone has preferences for materials (I myself swear by leather leashes) but I wouldn't go anything longer than a 6' leash and hold most of it in your right (or left) hand while the dog is walking beside you on your left (or right). You'll develop some serious muscles! but if you have the lash in your hands, short, but comfortable for the dog, he'll learn to heel and not pull. If he relaxes, let him have the whole 6' of leash. The second he starts to pull, you pull back on the leash to having most of it in the opposite hand of where the dog is. Make sense? I like leather because it doesn't slip while holding it and reining the dog in. No fiber cutso your hands either.

Nicki is so good that I could now take her out anywhere without a leash and she'd never go anywhere. I never choked her, hit her, yelled at her, etc. Just held onto that leash with authority.

Practice, Practice, Practice the command 'heel'.

1. Have cookies ready for your dog
    2. Hold the cookies by your side, lauring the dog to stay by your side, and tell him 'Heel'
    3. Give him a cookie
    4. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

I taught King Duke that command after I had that problem the 1st time I walked him

I have found harnesses to be ineffective (just my experience). I prefer Limited-slip (martingale) collars or just regular collars. Also, look at your leash, as catnapper said. I am most comfortable with a six foot leather leash, but I know a lot ofpeople who are more comfortable with a four foot leash, or with nylon.

To teach my dogs to walk on a loose lead, I would take them out one at a time, and the moment one started to pull, I would stop. The dog got no eye contact, no attention at all, until the leash was slack. That I would start to walk again. At first, this meant I was moving literally one step at a time, about every thirty seconds.

Within four walks, they both started to "get it". Now both of my dogs walk very nicely, although, as with any training, it is something that has to be reinforced forever. You can't slack off once he has learned leash manners, he will forget them!

Odds are, there are more than one dog trainer in your area. If you were looking at private lessons from one trainer, that price sounds high but not outrageous. Check out group classes. Most vets can probably recommend some quality group classes that are reasonably priced.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

my toy poodle mix pulled too. she obviously didn't pull ME (lol) but just like carrieB's dog, she chokes herself. we got her a harness and the first day it worked great! she still pulls a little but not nearly as much. it was a cheaper harness, but it still works. i would go out and get a puller harness. he may still pull a little so then you can teach him like orangutango does. i think that will work well. Good Luck!!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I think harnesses encourage dogs to pull because that's what they use to work. I haven't met a lab yet who can walk without pulling that doesn't wear a pinch collar. It worked wonders for Riley and a bunch of other lab owners we've talked to.
    Riley's Dogster page

Thanks Ashely!