Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners of small dogs, anul express by Vet sometimes is necessary. Maybe large dogs to

Owners of small dogs, anul express by Vet sometimes is necessary. Maybe large dogs to

Has anyone taken their dog for this procedure?

The Vet told me if you see your pet dragging their but along the floor or carpet , this might be the reason. The Vet said it is different for everybody, some may need this procedure done 1-2 times a year, some need it done every other month, it just all depends on the animal.

It is painfull to my Chica. The Vets finger has to go into her little anul and clear out the anul sac if it has fecal deposits in it that couldn't be defecated. Everyone please tell me your experience with this.
    Chica's mom

Yeah all dogs need to have the anal sack expressed every now and then

You can do it yourself if you know how to do it, but I don't recommend doing so unless you're entirely educated and comfortable in the procedure... and its very, very stinky.

facebook

I just read in one of my Chihuahua books that small breeds have this problem. And occassionally have to go to the Vet to have the anul sacs expressed if they become impacted. So, this is something I didn't know before, and now I do.
    Thank you for responding to me Jessica.
    Chica's mom

I'm a dog groomer, and when I bathe, I empty the dog's anal glands. It's really not hard to do (unless the dog is overweight or too thin). You may be able to teach yourself how to do it so that you don't have to have the vet do it for you. Or, instead of taking her to the vet, take her to a groomer -- they are more experienced with anal glands, it's cheaper, and you'll get a nice bath along with it.

I was always under the impression that a dog defecating nice, solid poos would not require their anal sacs to be manually expressed. Or have I been mislead?

Originally posted by Giselle
    I was always under the impression that a dog defecating nice, solid poos would not require their anal sacs to be manually expressed. Or have I been mislead?
    This is true; however, some times they can still get to the point and need to be expressed regardless. But having a nice diet with solid hard poos does help to "naturally" express the anal sack.

facebook

IF

their bowel movements are firm, and if the breed is not genetically prone to problems, then anal gland expression will not be a problem.

The larger breeds especially Labs are prone to anal gland problems due to the massive amount of tissue/muscle interfering with self-expression.

I think all of you have helped me alot!!!!!!!! Wolfsoul, I will try a groomer. Groomers do that automatically? Who would of thought that. Jessika, dragondawg, Giselle, thanks for your replies.

Chica's mom

I better go get Guapo checked out! He has been dragging his butt on the floor lately.......

Originally posted by Chica
    I think all of you have helped me alot!!!!!!!! Wolfsoul, I will try a groomer. Groomers do that automatically? Who would of thought that. Jessika, dragondawg, Giselle, thanks for your replies.

Chica's mom
    Most groomers won't do it automatically unless you ask them to do it. ;D

facebook

Originally posted by Jessika
    Most groomers won't do it automatically unless you ask them to do it. ;D
    For all of the groomers around here, it's regular protocol. I would assume that it would be the same elsewhere.
    I've been BOO'd!

Thank you Wolfsoul. How much does a groomer charge for that procedure? Also, how much do they charge to give Chica a bath?
    I know it will be approximate amounts, but I would like to know the ballpark figure. Chica's mom

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    For all of the groomers around here, it's regular protocol. I would assume that it would be the same elsewhere.
    Well its better to not assume it will be done without asking, because eventhough they "say" its "regular protocol" doesn't mean they do it. I know a lot of groomers won't do it unless the owner specifically asks for it. ;P

facebook

Originally posted by Jessika
    Well its better to not assume it will be done without asking, because eventhough they "say" its "regular protocol" doesn't mean they do it. I know a lot of groomers won't do it unless the owner specifically asks for it. ;P
    ditto

The price of bathing, anal sac expression varies wuite a but from groomer to groomer & by location.
    Your best bet is to call your local groomers & get quotes.

I would say that for a chi. to get a bath & anal glans emptied it would be about $40-$65 average.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Originally posted by lv4dogs

I would say that for a chi. to get a bath & anal glans emptied it would be about $40-$65 average.
    That sounds really expensive. Where I work it would only be $15. $65 is what it would cost to get a standard poodle bathed, dried, and completely groomed.
    I've been BOO'd!