Thread: Rabbit

Rabbit

I think that my bunny has worms but i am not sure she is losing weight but she is still eating and i am not sure if that is what she has or not plus she is losing her hair....
    Cristy35

Have you brought her to the vet to get her checked out recently?? If not, I strongly recommend you schedule a visit to your vet soon. Rabbits need yearly vet checkups and vaccinations too, just like dogs and cats, and it shouldn't be "skipped" just because they're "rabbits".

facebook

How old is you bunny? Has she been spayed?

I have never heard of a bunny having worms, as rabbits are strictly vegetarian, but there could be something else wrong ... Is she eating AND pooping normally? A trip to the vet is in order.

My rabbit had same problem

I had a rabbit who ate like a horse but kept losing weight. I took her for tests and she was found to have kidney and liver problems, possibly caused by food people fed her before I got her that she shouldn't have been eating.
    Definitely take her to a vet. As for worms, the only types i've seen on rabbits are ringworm (she caught off a cat) and flystrike (nasty) which they get if kept outside. Flies will lay eggs around their bum, especially if they had soft stool stuck to it. Anyways, the eggs will hatch inside the body of the rabbit and in later stages you will see the worm around the anal hole eating the bunnies flesh.
    I doubt that is your bunnies problem though. I don't think it's very common.

Rabbits can get worms. We saw pinworm eggs in a young rabbit's fecal just recently and I know they can get other types of worms as well. I work at a veterinary clinic and we have the best local "bunny vet" on staff.

Please take your bunny to the vet - a rabbit losing weight is a very serious symptom. If it is worms, deworming medications can easily eradicate the problem.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*