Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who gives their dog Bully Sticks dried chicken fillets, rawhide, or pig ears?

Sadie loves pig ears and she is so picky about eating that I let her have them. She doesn't like rawhide and I never heard of the others.

One time after we had first moved to a new place I tried to ease the transition for Sadie by giving her a pig ear in the morning when I left for work. That was years ago and still now every work day after her morning walk she blocks the hallway so I can't leave til I give her a pig ear. Seriously she acts like an addict. I buy Foster's and Smith's "healthiest" pig ears. They just make her so happy I could never deny her one. Sadie is a very delicate eater so that probably helps prevent problems.

MAXIMUS gets cow ears. They are low in fat and he loves them.
    He actually asks for one. He knows where they live(big box in the pantry.) Mostly every other day. He really didn't go for pig
    ears. And rawhide, is a toy. He only plays with it. So I don't worry about all the yuck details of it. The dried chicken fillets are a special treat. We get them at Sam's, giant bag. Oh to yummy.

With the cow ears, he tends to swallow the last chunk he can't hold with his paws. And yes, he has to....what are the words?
    Choke it back up? because it was to big. Not to worry.....he's always supervised.

BTW: We get the cow ears by the case. Fedex delivers it to the
    door. Pet Co on line has a box of 100, which lasts for months.
    You should see the look on the FedEx guy's face when MAXIMUS
    answers the door. Priceless.

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Originally posted by Giselle
    [B]

So to answer your question, yes, I confidently feed my dog Bully Sticks and the occasional Greenie:
    That is what I feed too. I had a terrifying experience with a piece of rawhide getting half stuck in one of my former poodle's throats. Have you ever tried to pull out a slimy piece of rawhide from a dog's throat while they are choking? I will never forget that. I give them bully sticks but watch closely while they are chewing. These last a long time and no large pieces come off but I still keep an eye on them anyway. Greenies are an all time favorite around here. Ripley would do ANYTHING for a greenie. LOL!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I think rawhide is disgusting, just because I've seen it all gooey and nasty stuck all over the floor or whatever. It's just a personal preference, I just think they don't look like they'd do much good for the dog, after seeing how hard it was for my friend to get it out of her carpet. Finn's gotten into a couple in his lifetime just because he'd get another dog's rawhide or whatever. And, the pig's ears just smell so bad, I can't keep them in my house. I've never tried the bully sticks before, though...As long as they don't smell awful, it may be a new treat for Finn. I give him raw fruits and veggies for treats...or beef hot dogs cut up into small training pieces...or cheerios.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Originally posted by Bigyummydog
    BTW: We get the cow ears by the case. Fedex delivers it to the door. Pet Co on line has a box of 100, which lasts for months.
    You should see the look on the FedEx guy's face when MAXIMUS
    answers the door. Priceless.
    If it looks anything like when Bon answered the door for the cable guy I can just imagine

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Roxy eats more biscuits than anything, and I don't think she's ever had a dried chicken fillet, and maybe she's had a bully stick? She loves rawhides and Pig Ears. She gets them occasionally but not very often.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Snowy never tried bully sticks but she loves rawhide and dried tripes. She used to really loves pigs ears when she was a puppy but now she is more interested in burrying them than eating them

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Mine like all that stuff... but I think that I won't be giving the dried chicken to my kids anymore.
    This morning I had a BIG scare. I gave Frankie a dried chicken tender (his first) and he seemd fine with it.
    I put him in his crate with it which is in the bathroom.
    I usually put him in the crate with a treat while I'm in the shower. Well... in the shower I go and right when I get my hair soaped up... I hear that he is choking FOR REAL. Not just gagging but choking. I get out of the shower soap dripping in my eyes and try to pry his mouth open to pull the thing out. It was lodged in there. I got my eyebrow tweezers and in one quick movement, fished the thing out... all this while he was biting me HARD. My thumb is purple and swollen now. I cried for a good 30 minutes after this happened. I'm still a bit shaken by it.
    I feel bad because if I hadn't heard him through the shower water I don't know if I'd be posting in Dog Memorial.
    Sorry for such a long answer.

Feebee gets them every once in a while. She mows them down. I get nurvous. I gave the dogs treats lastnight and Feebee didn't really care for Trixie near her. She let her know it too. I just about peed my pants!!! So they will be seperated when treats are given.

Angi

Like Kay's muttlies,

mine get them once in a blue moon, too because they fight over the bones. They LOVE pig ears, though and raw hides. I don't think they have ever had a bully stick but they probably won't ever since I know what they are made out of. LOL!

Just keep a close eye on your dogs so they don't choke, especially the little ones like Miss Chica or puppies for that matter. My dogs LOVE greenies, also.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Visa loves bully sticks (or as we call them, ''bull penises" LOL -- might as well speak the truth!). I have several Greenies, but have never even given one to her yet. I'm sure she'll love them though.

OHH NO!!! the dredded pig ears!! hehe.

I used to give them to Oscar and Tikeya all the time, before we got Baby..

But ever since she came bouncing into my life one of the following things ALWAYS happens when I gve the dogs a pig ear, or a bully stick.

Baby will Try to down the whole pig ear at once, cholking her self!!.

Tikeya will burry her treat and then she'll retrieve it a couple days later all rotten and bring it inside the house when it will smell up the place..

Tikeya will burry her treat and Baby will dig it up, and then they'll fight over it.

Oscar will manage to get all three treats and hide then in his bed, and he'll guard them for hours on ends not moving once.

So I rather not have the hassel of pig ears or bully sticks around anymore. hehe my dogs are silly.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I always give Logan a rawhide bone every night. Keeps her mouth clean and she loves them. Cody never ate unless we were around and either does Logan so there's supervision. I'm never going to deny her a special treat whatever my vet says, and he didn't seemed overly concerned. He's got all sorts of pig ear and dried chicken treats in the rooms as rewards.

I've been Boooo'd!

I give my dog pig ears and rawhide rolls.
    He devours the ears (and when I get real pig ears from a pig roast, oh man, those are his fave).
    But he tends to keep the rawhide so he can play with it and bury it in the couch and bed before he decides to eat it (it can be months before he eats it).
    We've never experienced a problem.

Sometimes I get worried but it seems dogs (or maybe it's just Smokey) have a serious gag reflex and will choke up anything before they actually choke.
    Gross, but amazing.

Mine get Pigs Ears and Bully Sticks, but ONLY when I can supervise them!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome