What Breed Next

Hello,
    We are looking into another dog, the choices are:

Whippet
    Dogue De Bordeaux
    Border Collie
    Labrador Retriever
    Save The Seals
    The Massive Canadian Seal Hunt is going on!!
    www.protectseals.org

I would say a Whippet but i'm alittle byis i have a Whippet mix She's 4 yrs and such a Love Ball. She loves to run when outside but inside she's a sweety
    Here's my little Love Bug

that's quite the variety you have there....

what exactly are you lookin for in a dog?

a border collie is a very high maitenance dog and needs lots and lots of exercise

labs and whippets are a bit less high maintenance, labs still need lots of exercise, not so sure about whippets but i know they can be pretty hyper too

frend mastiffs(Dogue De Bordeaux) are laid back dogs and wouldnt need nearly as much exercise as the other breeds

personally if it were me i'd probably pick the border collie because i love a dog with lots of energy, to take hiking and biking with me and playing fetch and fisbee, etc.

well what is your lifestyle? border collies are not for just anyone, not to mention there are 3 strains of BCs working(the true BCs), conformation(the fluffballs) , and sport(usually supper leggy, and almost never fluffy) you have to watch very carefully where you go for one, would reccomend the working ones as if they come from a good breeder they are much steadier, they CAN hike for miles and miles, but they are also willing to relax at your side, they also tend to be smarter, and there is more variety to choose from. the sports strain has a very big tendency toward bahaiviour issues, because they are bred to have an insane temperment so they run faster, non of the sport breeders I know of take temperment into real consideration unless the dog is too calm lol the conformation strain from what I am told are more like golden retrievers then BCs. I dont know anything about the other breeds, but you may want to narrow down what exactly you want in a dog lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

WE DECIDED:

Dogue De Bordeaux

Because;

They are big, wrinkly, couch potatoes, gaurdians, great companions, can go jogging, and LOVE people. '

We are looking for a dog right now, so if you guyts want to help find a purebred Dogue, feel feel to send me PMS on the Dogues you found!
    Save The Seals
    www.protectseals.org

Originally posted by USApup1991
    WE DECIDED:

Dogue De Bordeaux

Because;

They are big, wrinkly, couch potatoes, gaurdians, great companions, can go jogging, and LOVE people. '

We are looking for a dog right now, so if you guyts want to help find a purebred Dogue, feel feel to send me PMS on the Dogues you found!
    There's more to the breed (or any breed) than just that.

Bordeaux's are known for a few health problems, dental problems, breathing problems (due to the shorter squished muzzle, therefore may not be the greatest jogging partner), skin problems, etc...

Unlike you think, they are not friendly dogs. They are very loyal to their family but they are quite fearless & confrontational with strangers, in fact they make EXCELLENT GUARD DOGS. They are also known the be quite dog aggressive.

They slobber & drool quite a bit so if you are a clean person this may not go over so well. They are also known to snore (again partially due to their shortened muzzle). If you like your sleep & want this dog to sleep with or near you you may be one tired individual.

Your original list consisted of many breeds, all very different from each other. That worried me a little.
    I'd suggest sitting down, make a list, include a yes & no side, for everything you want in a breed and everything you don't want. Here's a good site:
    http://dogs.about.com/cs/breedprofil...sing_a_dog.htm

Then research some breeds that suit your lifestyle the best. Then speak & visit with some breeders, your vet, a trainer etc... to help you decide between your final few.

Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

lv4dogs,

lv4dogs,

You told me a lot of things I do not know.

And you are absoulutly right. This dog is going to me my dog - my parents said it's my responsibility, and I have to find the right breed for me. (Scratch head) Why don't you guys help me a little? Here's my lifestyle:

I GO JOGGING EVERY MORNING AND EVENING, AND I WANT A DOG UP TO THAT

I AM ACTIVE, AND HALF OF THE TIME I AM OUTSIDE.

I WANT A DOG THAT IS A ONE PERSON DOG

A DOG THAT FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE
    Save The Seals
    www.protectseals.org

Re: lv4dogs,

Originally posted by USApup1991
    lv4dogs,

You told me a lot of things I do not know.

And you are absoulutly right. This dog is going to me my dog - my parents said it's my responsibility, and I have to find the right breed for me. (Scratch head) Why don't you guys help me a little? Here's my lifestyle:

I GO JOGGING EVERY MORNING AND EVENING, AND I WANT A DOG UP TO THAT

I AM ACTIVE, AND HALF OF THE TIME I AM OUTSIDE.

I WANT A DOG THAT IS A ONE PERSON DOG

A DOG THAT FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE

That is great that you are asking for help & you are doing the right thing by making sure you get the right dog! Kudos to you!

In a previous post you said you want a very friendly dog, now you want a "one" person dog?? Don't rush into things. sit down & think about it some more.

Why do you want a "one" person dog?

You still live at home right? So you have to take that into consideration as well. Sure it's okay if you don't want an overly friendly dog as long as it suits your lifestyle but because you live with others you should still get one that will at least be friendly to your household. You never know, sometimes the dog may have to stay with your parents for a day here or there.

How much jogging do you do?

When you are active outdoors what do you do?
    If you garden (example) do you want a dog that is loyal & stays near you? Or are you on the go when your outside? Do you want a dog that is on the go with you, trying to help?

How much time can you spare for grooming?

Will a loud (barking) dog bother you/your parents/neighbors?

How big of a dog do you want?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Answers

Q. Why do you want a 1 person dog?
    A. I want a 1 person dog because my other 2 dogs are just family dogs, I want a dog that is 'my own' not the familie's dog. I want a friendly dog, but a 1 person dog.

Q. How much jogging to you do?
    A. I do about 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening

Q. What do I do outside?
    A. I usually ride my bike to the park, or roller blade around the block, when I am doing this, I want a dog that will stay right by me, a quick dog, that I don't HAVE to use a leash on.

Q. How much time can I spare for grooming?
    A. I can spare up to 1/2 hour for grooming

Q. Will I loud dog bother me?
    A. Do you mean a dog thst barks constantly? I don't want a dog that barks TO much.

Q. How big of a dog do I want?
    A. A medium dog, not Great Dane, nor a Pom or Chihuahua. JUst a medium dog. Like the size of a Lab or Border Collie.
    Save The Seals
    www.protectseals.org

From what I gather I think the following breeds would be ok for you:

lab, golden or flat coated retreiver (can be very friendly but are loyal, will be a family dog but if you spend the most time with it, you do the training, feeding etc... *should* be loyal enough to be only "your" dog)

brittany or springer spaniel (brittany needs less professional grooming)

Australian Shepherd (a lot like a border but a *little* less active but deffinatly still active enough, they are a LOT alike. Aussies are a little easier to handle. Thats the main reasons I chose an Aussie over a Border, and I am also very active) (they are known to bark to warn & when they get excited, they bark a lot for some people but not all the time)

Rescue/shelter/petfinder dog. You'd be surprised what breeds (mixed & purebred) are in shelters. most places will take your info (what you want in a dog) and try to match you up with a dog that suits you & your lifestyle.

Remember if you decide to get a purebred from a breeder make sure it is a reputable breeder. A BYB (back yard breeder) and pet store puppies are often badly bred, therefore causing a lot of physical & emotional problems, not a good speciman of the breed. Choosing the right breeder is just as important as choosing the right dog.

Here's a couple links to a few quizes you can take that may help:
    http://animal.discovery.com/guides/d.../selector1.jsp
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

I like the idea of a Lab and a Flat Coat
    Save The Seals
    www.protectseals.org

a Dogue De Bordeaux would never be able to do 2 miles and 3 mile jogs, they are much too large, not to mention their squishy type face.

Originally posted by AllAmericanPUP
    a Dogue De Bordeaux would never be able to do 2 miles and 3 mile jogs, they are much too large, not to mention their squishy type face.
    Yup....
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

What Breed Next

I went with a Border Collie {due to I have one} think they are just very nice gentle & good behavior with anyone.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>