Thread: How many of you are allergic to your pets?

How many of you are allergic to your pets?

Karen gave me an idea with her confession. I really am allergic to Rascal - but that is the way it goes.........I wouldn't dream of giving him away. I just live with it.

How many of you get the sniffles and eye itchies too?

I'm allergic to dogs - it settles after a couple of hours with a new dog but dog saliva really gets me going!

I have asthma and allergies. I am allergic to animals, but I had immunotherapy for dog allergies. I take DAILY medication (including 3 treatments a day with a nebulizer machine) to keep the asthma under control. I think my dogs are worth it! I usually sit at the computer while I do my treatments to keep me occupied!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

suspected but not confirmed...therefore, NO!
    I'll deny it and sniffle happily!!!

(and that would be re: c-a-t-s)

I am allergic to dogs too! I also have asthma, but not chronic. I have had immunotherapy for dog allergies as well, Sue. But I still have to take 1 pill a day to control it. I thought I would never do it, but Andrew wanted a dog so badly and I love him so much that I broke down and got the medicine! Almost two years, I could never imagine my life without the Drakester. He has been worth every penny and pill!

I am allergic to cats and have asthma (not chronic) but my husband really wanted a cat. Two emergency room visits for asthma attacks later I a) gave up cigarettes (duh!) and b) started taking claritan daily. I am now over one year cigarette-free and asthma attack-free so am cutting back to claritan every three days.

Last time I was pin-prick tested for allergic reactions, my highest reaction was for ... CATS!

Snifflely but Happy,
    Catwoman

Good for you, Sara!!!

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    I am allergic to cats and have asthma (not chronic) but my husband really wanted a cat. Two emergency room visits for asthma attacks later I a) gave up cigarettes (duh!) and b) started taking claritan daily. I am now over one year cigarette-free and asthma attack-free so am cutting back to claritan every three days.
    Yeah for Sara!!!

And Helen and I figure we are both probably allergic to the pets.....don't know which ones though, and we figure we probably don't want to know!! So we are Claritin girls too!!

Wonder if it could be dust instead of pets???

Cats drive me crazy (part of the reason I don't have any) and somedays even dogs bother me. I too, am I Claritin dependent!!!

Dustmites are apparently a very common allergy. My prick-test for dustmites grew so big it overwhelmed the dots around it it and made the nurse go "Oh, my!" (Never a good sign.)

Edwina must be just as proud of you as I am that you gave up cigarettes and are now breathing so much better! Yay!

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    suspected but not confirmed...therefore, NO!
    I'll deny it and sniffle happily!!!

(and that would be re: c-a-t-s)
    DITTO! Tonya, I was in Mich last month and wasn't around Kylie for 4 days and didn't have to use my nasal spray or pills once. But have had a perscription for clarirtin but don't think its bad enough to take it all the time, plus it's expensive and I don't have a perscription card. Supposedly we get things cheaper at work but I have my doubts!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I'm allergic to my dog and my cats. I don't care, it's a matter of getting used to it. I take homeopathic medicine, especialy in the spring and autumn.

I've running eyes and sniff all day long, but nothing will ever come between the love I have for my pets.

The only time it's bad, is when I've been away from home for more than a day or two.

Love those kitties!

I absolutely LOVE cats, especially Siamese but I am horribly allergic. Have severe chronic asthma and terrible reactions with sinus and eyes.
    I solved that by being tested again...and I was NOT allergic to BUNNIES!!!! So here I am, happily
    slavishly devoted to my five guys and absolutely loving every minute of it. And to think I would never have considered them if it hadn't been for allergies!!!!

Brought home two new kitties last thursday and sure enough when they lick I breakout in welts, my eyes are itchy and my husband is sneezing big time. I find I get acclimatized over time and it's not so bad but we have been without for a year now( R.B.) and so need to build up our tolerance. An Allergist told me not to keep cats and I said obviously that is not an option. He laughed, his wife is allergic and they have cats.