Thread: Is kitty sick or mad at me?

Is kitty sick or mad at me?

My husband and I were away last weekend and since we got home on Sunday, my 5 month old kitty is just not very playful. He plays for a minute or two and then lays back down. He is usually pretty spazzy given his age. I don't know if he is mad or sick. He sleeps by our heads all the time and is continuing to do that, so that makes me think he isnt' mad, but at the same time I don't see that he is in distress. But this is my first cat. I guess I am looking for help here, should I bring him in?
    Yest when I got home from work ( i give him a handful of food in am and in pm) there was still about 1/4 dish left of food, so it wasn't bone dry. I will check tonight. He also is very thirsty. He has been since we have had him. I don't know if he is thirsty or if he just like fresh water. Drinks out of toilet, tub, and our water glasses.
    Also we have a roommate, so kitty wasn't alone all weekend just without us.

Any help would be appreciated..thankS!

Hello and welcome!!
    When your kitten plays, does he/she breathe funny(mouth open)? Have you noticed any blueness of the mouth?? Does the kitten's heart feel like it is racing(beating very fast)? I am just wondering if the kitten may have something cardiac going on. Years ago, I noticed our then kitten, Riley, while he was chasing a toy, started to pant(breathe thru the mouth), and a bluish tint to his oral area and his heart was racing! I called our vet and made an appointment for a cardiac evaluation( I am a RN besides mother to 8 cats). Our vet heard a Grade III cardiac murmur and upon cardiac ultrasound, Riley was found to have left ventricular hypertrophy. All that means, is the left ventricle of the heart(where the blood is pumped out from to the rest of the body) was enlarged. RIiey was lucky, he has not had symptoms and is not on meds(some cats need a special diet and meds). He will be going shortly for a repeat utrasound. I think it is worth a call to your vet to get kitty checked out. Please let us know what happens!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

If the kitten was in his normal environment it is not likely that he's mad at you.

He should be just as energetic and playful as ever. Not playing and not eating rather can be a sign of an infection. Have you noticed whether he used the litterbox as usual?

What you describe about the water sounds more as if he likes to play with it- which is rather normal.

I would wait a day before taking him in- it may happen that they are a day under the weather and get back to normal. But if he doesn't play and eat like usual tomorrow I would check.

Good luck for you and your cat

Thirsty cat

Hello: It sounds like your cat might have something going on with kidneys or perhaps diabetes? Cats are not naturally water-drinkers. Our domestic cats are originated as desert-dwellers, and the moisture which they consumed was in the prey which they killed - small rodents. Cats have been showing up with more kidney disease and even diabetes, because of the food which they are fed. A cat should not be fed a dry kibble diet, as it leaves them chronically de-hydrated, and kidney disease can be the result. Also, a dry diet will upset the acid/alkaline balance in the urine, and cause UTI, and kidney complications. Also, diabetes is on the rise, due to the grain content of the diet - it turns to sugar in the digestive tract, and puts pressure on the pancreas to produce insulin. Cats do not even have the digestive enzymes to metabolize the carbohydrate content of the grain! My suggestion is, as always, to get your cat onto a raw meat diet - fresh, human grade meat. A cat is an obligate carnivore, and must have meat in order to maintain proper health.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck with your kitty!

Gayle