Rescued cats and dogs are on their way to the Chicago area right now. They'll need foster homes immediately! Hopefully they'll all be reunited with their humans.

If you have a spare bedroom for a cat or space in your yard for a dog, please consider it.

Below is the e-mail from the foster care coordinator for the humane society where I volunteer, one of many helping in the Chicago area for this rescue effort.

If you think you could help, please PM me (AbbyMom) and I'll send you her e-mail address.

I am issuing a general plea to all past and present foster homes for PACT Humane Society seeking foster shelter for animal victims of hurricane Katrina.

PACT has been asked to help in the rescue/foster attempts for the animals left behind as a result of the flooding in New Orleans. We need help from past and present foster homes in order to accomplish this. Can you please share your home a garage or a room for these unfortunate animals until they can be reunited with their owners or relocated to one of our adoption rooms?

As you have probably read the on site rescue agencies are overwhelmed with the number of animals they have saved from the devastation and now need to reach out to other agencies for help and space.

The animals are in the process of being transported to the Chicago area and may arrive within the next few days. There are both dogs and cats being transported that need shelter.

Please let me know how many you are able to take in and if you prefer cats or dogs. This may mean doubling up on what you are already fostering or squeezing in one more but I doubt the animal will mind as long as it is getting some love and a safe and clean spot to stay in.

If you have a way to post a bulletin at work or school with this request please do or ask friends, school mates, neighbors or relatives.

Please contact me as soon as possible. This need is urgent and time sensitive.

Thank you