Thread: depressed dog

depressed dog

I don't know what to do! I'm so worried about my dog, Cleo. This evening about a half an hour ago (8:30 pm) she started whining. This is the fist time she's ever done this before.I patted her for a couple minutes and she calmed down, then about 5 minutes after she picked up one of her favorite toys, walked to the other end of the room and lied there, whining. She repeated this a couple times. My dadworks out of town and he wasn't able to come home this weekend...we think she might miss him but I don't know!! Is there anything we can do for her?

Pets react to changes in schedules of their guardians. You didn't mention what type of toy she was picking up. I would bet its a toy that your dad uses to play with Cleo when he gets home.

You may try and play with her, and show her extra attention. This may ease her mind, that everything is okay.

------------------
    Recently adopted by 3 cats: Jackson, Rosie, Fluffy; a dog: Eli; some fish, and my fiancee: Lynn (Vi Co Bi)

thanks Fuzzy, I'll do that. The toy she carries around is a stuffie that she and dad play with sometimes.

Please let me know how it goes with Cleo.

Is Cleo spayed? This may be a symptom of a false pregnancy if she is not.
    It sounds awful but the worst thing you can do is try to comfort her when she is upset - if she is missing your Dad.
    The best thing you can do is check her teeth, throat and monitor her eating - if all seems fine to you then it is kindest to wait until she is not showing any signs of anxiety and choose these moments for a fuss, or, even better, a game or walk. Try to tire her out when she won't associate your reaction to her showing distress.
    If she continues to show distress you must try to ignore it - it sounds awful as she may be really upset - but dogs are very clever and she will learn by your reactions that being noisy and looking sad get her a lot of attention. Pick times to give her extra attention and excersise when there are no whines or toy carrying, both of you will feel better! A tired dog will sleep, not worry. Good luck, try and be strong, this can be harder on owners than the dogs!!

My golden/lab Jing (Rainbow Bridge) had a false pregnancy and acted just that way. She would pick up her toys and carry them away into a corner and whine. Carrie always gives the best advice on matters such as these. Not comforting her must be very hard indeed. Please let us know how Cleo is doing. I do worry when I read these posts of "distressed" pups!

How is Cleo doing? If you can, take a sec. and let us know if she is doing better, OK? Nothing is sadder than a depressed doggie!

Thank you for all of your advice. Sorry it took me so long to post back! Cleo's doing fine, her little "phase" only lasted for the evening. Yes carrie, she's spayed. I am pretty sure that she just missed dad, but Cleo is her usual self, chasing tennis balls and sleeping all day!! Again, thank you for your help.

Soooo glad to hear it!!!!

Very nice...Very nice! She's just a daddy's girl I guess! Hugs to Cleo!