Thread: Crate Training new dog

Crate Training new dog

It's me again -- just got a new puppy -- they're getting along much better now, but of course there are new issues that I'm worried about

Background: I just picked up a new dog from a shelter last week -- he's a friendly happy 10 month old lab/spaniel mix, a new addition to my household that currently has a 4-year old lab mix.

I confine my current dog Smudge to the bedroom - he has a dog bed. Next to him is Pesto's crate (the new pup). Pesto does not like his crate. He has to be lured in there with a treat. At night, he's ok and settles as my husband and I are in the bed and he can see that.

In the morning before leaving for work, I put him in the crate and he cries and yips and yips a LONG time. I stood outside the door to the house and could hear the poor guy all the way upstairs. I stood there for about a minute or two - that was all I could handle - and still heard him cry. I have a fear that he yips and cries for hours

Smudge went through this but not as bad, and he learned to love his crate within a week, going in on his own. This little guy has been using the crate for almost a week and is actually getting worse and more vocal (probably because he's bonded to us more).

I'm so sad to leave him in there distraught and miserable.

I guess I'm looking for advice, or some consolation that this is the right thing to do. Do all dogs eventually get comfy in a crate? I'm afraid to leave him loose yet because this separation anxiety might be made worse if I didn't use a crate (as he'd tear apart the bedroom).

I've tried sitting calmly with him with him in the crate before leaving, and this didn't work either.

Ideas?

Thanks for the support!

I love his name!

Sorry your having such a hard time with him adjusting to the crate. Some dogs take longer than others, some never adjust but most do.
    Is his seperation anxiety really bad? I know in some SA cases they reccomend not to crate.

Do you let him out when he whines? If so that is reinforcing his behavior. He wines he gets let out. I know it's hard but only let him out if he is quiet.

Do you give him a stuffed kong, treat balll etc... when you put him in there? That may help. It will keep him busy for a while.

Is he ever in his crate when you are home? Maybe he needs to learn more that his crate is a good thing. That it doesn't always mean that mommy is leaving.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I'm glad you like the name! It took us a LONG time to come up with one we liked. He just looked like a Pesto to me

Well, I give him a Kong and a rawhide treat. The treat remains uneaten when I come home, and the Kong looks unused.

I don't let him out when he cries -- I just leave the house sad.

When I walk outside to take out the trash or whatever, he's usually sitting at attention right by the door and you can tell he's upset that I left him.

I've also tried sitting with him while he's in the crate and he is a bit upset but doesn't cry. But then I leave and he's upset.

Overnight he's fine in it if we're not making too much noise.

Maybe once he and Smudge are a bit more settled (and he can be trusted not to have an accident in the house), I'll leave him alone without the crate. I fear that it's not so much the crate as it is me leaving. Not sure.

Thanks.

I'd get him used to being away from you. Like when you are home, baby gate him in a different room, where he can see you while you do some chores. Start by doing this for only 5-10 minutes at a time but frequently. Slowly increase the amount of time & distance that you are away from him.

Try putting something ultra yummy in his kong. LIke left over mashed potatoes with meat chuncks or whatever he is really fond of.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I agree with Lv4dogs, he needs sometime away from you. He needs to learn that you will come back. Try not to make coming or going a big deal Make going in his crate a wonderful experince, like Lv4dogs suggested stuff his Kong with really yummy treats, treats so good he won't even care that you are gone, experinent you will find that magic food. Keep at the crate thing, some dogs take longer than others to learn to like them. Maybe you can try feeding him in the crate so he also assoicates it with good things.
    When my puppy was younger she would carry on in her crate if she could see us, so I covered up the crate and the problem stopped, she is happy in the crate and goes in whenever I am away from home. I let her out within about 5 minutes of returning home, she sitting happliy in her crate until I let her out.
    Also if you think it is you leaving more than the crate, then practice leaving and coming back. Leave for 5 minutes and come back, then for 10 minutes, back to 5 practice coming and going and not making a big deal about your departure or your arrival. Teach him that when you leave it's no big deal and when you come home he can be happy but he was ok while you were gone. Vary your time away and hopefully he will realize mom does come back and everything is ok.
    Hang in there, you have only had him a week and you both need to adjust and get on a schedule.
    YOu are doing great!

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

I'm no expert as I am learning about crate training myself with my 15 week old pup. But you mention that Pesto is in his crate at night, and then again when you leave. You haven't said how long Pesto spends in his crate per day.

Most of the stuff I have read on crate training says that aside from night time, a dog should not be in the crate for more than 4 hours, and between times there should be a minimum of 1 hour break.

My pup adores her crate. I leave her in it at night. In the morning she gets breakfast and a good walk, then she goes in her crate for a couple of hours. I go to work. My son lets her out after 2 hours, or if he is at uni, I drive home from work to let her out ( My husband and I have our own business so I am lucky as I can do that). She gets about 30 minutes in the back yard minimum for poops and pees, & play time. Then she goes into a 'puppy pen' I bought which is like a child play pen, but made of a series of 8 metal gates that I can form into a circle, square, rectangle...whatever. she is in that for max 4 hours, before someone is home, take her for a toilet break, a play or a walk, and then after that on some days its back to the pen until about 5pm - 5.30pm, but on others she gets to follow us around on a retratcable leash so she has some freeedom (though limited) and is involved in what the family does around the house. In the evening, she is on the leash close by me in the house, or she is in her pen (during the day its in the family room, during the evening its sometimes in the loungeroom. Then at night, she goes into the crate (though she is not sleeping through the night yet without getting restless...at which time I wake and take her out for a pee because I strss that she might not be able to hold it ).

So anyway, what I am trying to say is that the crate thing is really good, but I think we have to be sure not to over use it. I would look up dealing with 'separation anxiety' as well. The only other suggestion I would make is to find a dog behaviourist or a trainer....a dog whisperer...thats what we all need! I think the sooner you find a way to make it work, the better for Pesto and for you.

By the way, You're a gem for rescuing Pesto! I wish you every success in making his life a happy one for all of you to enjoy.

fyi... Pesto is crated no more than 4 hours at a time. I always give him a Kong filled with good treats (he only gets the kong and those treats when in the crate) but to no avail.

It's been a few weeks and it hasn't gotten better.

When he is on the deck and I'm in the garden where he can't get to me, he cries also so it's a separation anxiety thing as well as a crating thing.

I've tried putting him in his crate and sitting with him, then leaving the room for a few minutes and coming back, giving treats, etc. but he still cries. I feel like I'm reinforcing crying by coming back in when he's crying. I tried waiting until he stopped crying (VERY painful -- took forever especially when he knows I'm still home) and it still isn't better.

I'm resigning to the fact that it will take a long time and all I can do is keep putting him in the crate, leaving for work, and hoping that some day he'll be ok with it

Poor little guy has bonded so much and he's so sweet. Too bad Smudge can't console him. Smudge is usually happy that Pesto is locked up and can't torment him (Smudge is in an adjustment period too and is still not sure he wants anything to do with this new furry creature in the house).

Pesto may need some comfort

When I had my German sheperd puppy it helped to put a sock with rice in it with him. You fill up a new sock and put it in the microwave until hot, then put a light planket over it. It seemed to help him feel safe