Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i need a texas name!

Juroblyn's Little Texas
    Juroblyn's Lonestar State of Mind
    Juroblyn's Texas Tumbleweed
    Juroblyn's Texan Cowboy
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House“10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

"Houston we have a problem" sorry couldn't help myself
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

WE HAVE A NAME!!!

drum roll please........

Houston's reg name is going to be......

Juroblyn's Trouble in Texas

thanks for all the great names! i just kept comming back to this name that dukedogsmom posted. i just got off the phone with my friend and she said that trouble DEFINATLY suits him. he's always into something and he's quite a talker too.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Originally posted by lute

(i don't want to upset anyone, but Gracie is a showdog and yes, she's a family member first, but she's just a practice dog. she will be the last sibe i get. they are not the breed for me. don't think just because they aren't the breed for me i won't love her just as much. she's my baby and i love her to death, but after i'm done showing her and she's retired, i'm done with sibes. on to the breed i was ment to be with...great danes.)

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(i don't want to upset anyone, but Gracie is a showdog and yes, she's a family member first, but she's just a practice dog. she will be the last sibe i get. they are not the breed for me. don't think just because they aren't the breed for me i won't love her just as much. she's my baby and i love her to death, but after i'm done showing her and she's retired, i'm done with sibes. on to the breed i was ment to be with...great danes.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by wolf_Q

alright. i wrote that a while back and back then i really didn't think that sibes were for me. i still don't think they are the PERFECT breed for me, but after Gracie got older and got passed that jumping, yapping, soiling the floor stage i learned to like the breed. i do plan on stopping the siberian and doing great danes, but for the moment i'm working with sibes. please understand.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    So, is Houston going to be a forever pet? I just reread some of your previous posts, and, I'm just not sure what's up. How old is Gracie? How long will you show your Siberian Huskies before you move on to Great Danes? Will you keep them all as pets? I'm not trying to be insulting or ugly, I'm just lost. And, if you don't want to answer this, that's fine...but, what did you meant by "practice dog?" When she retires from showing, are you keeping her?
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Lute, if you really don't love Siberians in your heart, you're not obligated to acquire this next puppy. People show and breed because they love the breed more than anything else. They ADORE the breed. They devote their lives and well-being for the sake of the futurity of the breed. It sounds like you're just getting a dog to show it, which is completely counterproductive (the purpose of showing is to evaluate breeding stock. Winning a championship is just one of the hurdles one must jump in order to "prove" that the dog is worthy of being bred). Remember, YOU HAVE NO OBLIGATION. I hope you make the right choice.

*Living with the Hillbillies* Southern West Virginia
    I like the name you picked. It is really cute.
    ~Tina~

finn's mom-
    Gracie and Houston are here for good. i would never dream of giving them up. they are my companions and family members before show dogs. Gracie is going to be 9 months old on sept 16th. i honestly don't know how long i'm going to show sibes before i move on to danes. like i said before the siberian breed has grown on me. i've learned to love them....almost as much as danes. when i started showing dogs i got Gracie as a dog i could show and learn with. that's what i ment by "practice" dog.

Giselle-
    i DO love siberians. i think they are a wonderful breed. i don't love them as much as i love danes. the only reason i say they aren't the PERFECT breed for me is i hate their high prey drive. i know that's silly, but that's the only thing about them i don't like.

I think Trouble in Texas is a *really* cute name, and I wish you the BEST of luck!

However, I think you should definitely value the whole temperament of Sibes and understand them more if you're going to be showing and breeding and raising them. High prey drive is something that has been bred into them for 100's of years ~ it is a part of their breed, and part of what makes them invaluable sled dogs! It annoys me sooooo much when I hear people advertising "RARE LOW DRIVE GERMAN SHEPHERD PUPPIES" in the paper, and people that want Border Collies without any herding instinct - these dogs are not Pomeranians, they are bred to work not to be a lap dog. Huskies are prey-driven working dogs, period. That is what makes them Huskies. I think it'd be best if you learned to embrace that characteristic, value it and accept it for what it is! If Gracie does have high prey drive, there are many ways that you can channel her drive and make it productive instead of annoying ~ such as training her to skijor with you, or pull a small sled, tracking, or even try flyball or competitive frisbee.

I also wanted to add ~ Danes are also working dogs, and I've met many with very high prey drive.
    Last edited by bckrazy; 09-11-2005 at 05:33 PM.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Originally posted by bckrazy
    I think Trouble in Texas is a *really* cute name, and I wish you the BEST of luck!

However, I think you should definitely value the whole temperament of Sibes and understand them more if you're going to be showing and breeding and raising them. High prey drive is something that has been bred into them for 100's of years ~ it is a part of their breed, and part of what makes them invaluable sled dogs! It annoys me sooooo much when I hear people advertising "RARE LOW DRIVE GERMAN SHEPHERD PUPPIES" in the paper, and people that want Border Collies without any herding instinct - these dogs are not Pomeranians, they are bred to work not to be a lap dog. Huskies are prey-driven working dogs, period. That is what makes them Huskies. I think it'd be best if you learned to embrace that characteristic, value it and accept it for what it is! If Gracie does have high prey drive, there are many ways that you can channel her drive and make it productive instead of annoying ~ such as training her to skijor with you, or pull a small sled, tracking, or even try flyball or competitive frisbee.

I also wanted to add ~ Danes are also working dogs, and I've met many with very high prey drive.
    i compleatly understand what your saying. and i agree with you. i know that the highprey drive is part of the breed. i don't wish to remove it from the breed at all. i just don't like it. Gracie doesn't have too bad of a prey drive. she's learned to live with the cat and now instead of trying to eat her she just ignores her or playes gently with her. from what i hear from my breeder friend Houston has a heck of a prey drive so i'm gonna have to really watch him.

i compleatly understand what your saying. and i agree with you. i know that the highprey drive is part of the breed. i don't wish to remove it from the breed at all. i just don't like it. Gracie doesn't have too bad of a prey drive. she's learned to live with the cat and now instead of trying to eat her she just ignores her or playes gently with her. from what i hear from my breeder friend Houston has a heck of a prey drive so i'm gonna have to really watch him.
    I understand your side, & everyone elses, but by the sounds of it, especially the description of Houston, It seems like you may just be asking for trouble.
    Gracie may see Houston act with his high prey drive towards your cat & her instincts can come right back out, sometimes 10fold. It happens & often.

Is there anyway you can seperate them?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

if you havenĀ“t got Houston yet, would you consider getting a Dane instead??

Originally posted by Husky_mom
    if you havenĀ“t got Houston yet, would you consider getting a Dane instead??
    i would love a dane! but right now, because of the parentals, it's not an option.

I understand your side, & everyone elses, but by the sounds of it, especially the description of Houston, It seems like you may just be asking for trouble.

Is there anyway you can seperate them?
    i've thought about this and yes, Houston might make Gracie's prey drive come back out. the cat won't be in any trouble. she's kept outside and she pretty much stays to herself unless i bring her over for the dogs to play with. i won't do that when Houston comes because i don't want to take a chance.

15. I like to say Amarillo a lot for some reason. its just fun to say.

glad you picked a name.