Thread: Please Read This- Hurricane Pet Victims

Please Read This- Hurricane Pet Victims

There is transportation provided, with people ready
    and waiting, for upwards of 200 dogs and 150 cats so
    far rescued from the devastation of hurricane Katrina.
    What these animals need is a place to go. Kennels,
    boarding, vets offices, shelters with any extra space,
    foster homes and rescues. Even one or two open kennels
    would greatly help.
    From what we know, all animals have been vaccinated
    and are in good health considering the conditions.
    There are dogs and cats of every breed and size. Some
    are in groups of two, three or four, hailing from the
    same family, while some are solitary. ANY KENNEL SPACE
    AVAILABLE CAN CERTAINLY BE USED. These drivers are
    willing to move these animals ANYWHERE they need to
    go. Absolutely anywhere.

The current safe houses for these animals are being
    inundated and some of these pets will have to be
    euthanized if they are not moved to make room for the
    incoming animals.
    Please feel free to pass on this information
    everywhere. Every forum, every list, every community.

REMEMBER THESE ANIMALS WILL BE TRANSPORTED TO YOU.

If you know anyone, anywhere, that is willing to take
    in even one cat or dog, please have them contact Lynda
    at the information provided below.

They are also asking for ANY kind of donations for the
    animals - money, food, bedding, water, etc.

Please Contact Lynda V. at: 203 515 3024 (cell)

Home: 203 227 5308

Email: [email protected]

2. I wonder if they would be willing to send them over to Canada? I'm sure we could foster one..at least..

I'm not sure if they will, but you could always e-mail or call that person. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions. I just e-mailed them a few questions as well.

4. Yeah, I just e-mailed her. Waiting patiently for a reply...

If you can't take in a pet due to things beyond your control (i.e. apt won't let you have another pet without paying and registering it or whatnot), there is a way to donate money for these animals: )

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?

bump

bump..

Bump!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

9. I got this e-mailed back to me...not really answering questions, I think they just replyed this out to everyone!

Thank you for your response to our email. THERE IS NO NEED TO CALL US. Please
    submit the following information; Your name, your telephone number, your city, your
    state and a veterinarian reference. We are compiling a master list so we can start
    placing animals from a shelter in Jackson. Right now there are 240 dogs, and 100
    cats that need GOOD HOMES. As you can imagine, there are going to be many more.
    If you cant adopt, and would like to help out with a monetary donation, you can
    do so by sending a check or money order directly to the shelter in Jackson or calling
    the animal disaster relief hotline. Here is that information:

The shelter we are working thru:
    C.A.R.A. Inc. (Community Animal Rescue Adoption)
    Post Office Box 231
    Clinton, MS 39060
    they are a 501 C3

This was JUST set up ....
    The Mississippi Disaster Relief Fund
    209 South Lafayette
    Starkville, MS 39759
    (662) 324-9380

OK, now to give you all some information as to what is what. Understandably so,
    its people first down there. Now, about our furry loved ones in MS. The animals
    we are dealing with are Owner Turn Overs?, these pets have been turned over to the
    shelter by their owners and need good homes. We are working with a transport company
    that is currently down in MS trying to get our fist load of dogs. Just so you know
    what we know. There are groups of animal disaster relief workers down in the disaster
    area, they are doing everything they can to get these animals processed. There
    is a RUMOR, A COMPLETE LIE going around that people are shooting animals. WRONG!
    There are some severely injured animals that have to be humanely euthanized, but
    the first priority of these trained people is to help and save these animals. They
    are doing their best, and they are doing a great job. There are still some areas
    the animal rescue people have not been able to get to- as people are still being
    rescued from those areas. They are setting up animal triages, and they are working
    around the clock. Please keep those people in your prayers. I know that there
    are stationing areas set up at two sights, one of which is in Jackson. PLEASE DO
    NOT GO DOWN TO MISSISSIPPI. (You will be in the way, let the trained professionals
    do their job)

We don't know when, but here is what is going to happen with the dogs, cats, bunnies,
    etc. that come thru the shelters we are working with: We have a detailed list
    of the animals they have, we will match the list of animals to the list of perspective
    adoptive parents. You will then receive a call from the transporter and can discuss
    with her at that time where in your state she will be bringing the animals.
    This is all done with volunteers, so go easy on us, we (me and my mother Lynda)
    are doing our very best.
    Thank you for your support, and God Bless you.
    Susan-Lyn Palmieri

I got that same e-mail too. I wished they could have answered my questions. I resent my question to them.

You can go to this website to fill out an application for fostering. I did it earlier.

http://www.katrinafoundpets.com/

Here's something from the HSUS website via acme pet transport...

From HSUS website:

Sunday, September 4, 2005; 9:48 p.m.

In their first foray into the embattled city of New Orleans, members of the HSUS Disaster Animal Relief Team (DART), together with animal control staff from the Louisiana SPCA, targeted animals stranded at the Superdome as their priority goal. There, they rescued dozens of animals relinquished or abandoned by desperate evacuees who fled the city to escape Katrina’s rage.

Once the base of operations is established in the city, animal rescue workers will face a grim and urgent challenge. Throughout the weekend, reports of animals in urgent need of rescue continued to pour into the HSUS Disaster Call Center (1-800-HUMANE-1) and into other organizations mobilized in the region. “It's just overwhelming," Laura Maloney, executive director of the Louisiana SPCA, told a Knight-Ridder journalist. "There are countless thousands of abandoned pets in the city. And hundreds and hundreds are stuck inside their homes."

Progress in Mississippi

While awaiting news of what transpired in the Crescent City, another HSUS DART team in Mississippi began moving its main base of operations south to Hattiesburg, where team members made preliminary damage assessments, staked out sites for placement of equipment, and identified the resources necessary to carry out large-scale animal rescue.

In Jackson County, Mississippi, they assisted the Sheriff’s Office with the capture of a seal, most likely one of those missing from the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport. The team also assessed the Jackson County Animal Shelter, a promising candidate for housing animals as well as for setting up larger support operations. The county and its law enforcement agencies have welcomed animal rescue workers and provided practical support and supplies.

The DART logistical trailer and 40-foot transport trailer will be relocated to the grounds of the Jackson County shelter, which is situated next to soccer fields that will provide additional needed space. With these resources in place, the basic water and electrical needs of the shelter can be sustained.

In Hattiesburg, which was pounded by Katrina, a multi-purpose facility controlled by the city survived the storm intact. With power supply, an RV park, stalls, an arena, and other buildings, it may prove suitable for a long term base of operations in the area.

New Orleans Calling

With limited access to the city, the news from New Orleans came mainly in the form of calls to the HSUS Disaster Call Center from people concerned about animals whom they, their family members, or their friends had left behind. Three days after the HSUS call center launched its operations, they were still calling. And we kept answering.

We learned about the essential details for rescuing a cat from a house at the corner of Napoleon and Fontainebleau Streets…. the medicine necessary for an ailing dog….the approximate number of animals being tended in a hospital by a brave doctor who stayed behind to care for his colleagues’ pets after they evacuated with their patients…and of offers of technical assistance for the construction of appropriate animal housing facilities. All of this will be critical to the efficient and timely rescue of the animals trapped in the city.

In all, we’ve handled telephone calls from thousands of people – people distraught over lost and relinquished animals, and people willing to help, whether through providing supplies, practical assistance, or financial contributions.

More encouragingly, there were generous donations, many from citizens who had never previously contacted The HSUS, all earmarked for the support of DART teams on the ground.

The level of calls surged late Saturday night after Larry King mentioned the HSUS call center number on his Hurricane Katrina special, an unexpected boost that stretched the capacity of the center even as it boosted the spirits of those who were doing what they could to provide help and comfort to others -- human and nonhuman -- caught in Katrina’s ghastly aftermath.

By Bernie Unti

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

y daughter received the same e-mail from Susan. She has 5 acres and room for 2 great danes (which is what she wants) going to fill out the info and see what happens.