Thread: bringing barn cat inside

bringing barn cat inside

my barn kitten (6 mo.) has recently been hanging out with a new 'friend'. we are going to have her as an indoor cat, because we dont want her to get pregnant. she likes to slip through the doorway when we open it, so maybe she likes the indoors. can someone tell me how to bring my barn cat indoors without any problems??

I really don't have clue about this but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. Maybe by keeping her confined to a cage at first she will get used to things. If she is already slipping in the door then it sounds like she likes being inside and it won't be to hard.

I hope you will get her spayed soon before she does end up pregnant. At 6 months old it could happen at any time.

From Decker with Love

To best make an outdoor kitty an indoor kitty, you'll need to provide a lot of toys and such so that she has mental stimulation and physical exercise. If she's tame and not at all feral, the transition should be relatively easy.

Like Jazzcat said, it is definately in her best interest to be spayed. Even if you do bring he in fulltime, she should still be spayed. Once a cat goes into heat, they will be determined to get out. It also helps prolong her life and depletes the risk of certain cancers.

ok thank you. i think it should be easy. oreo (my kitty) is the most FRIENDLY barn cat i've ever heard of. and compared to my grandpa and friend, she's more friendly than their house cats. i think we'll take her to a local humane society and get her spayed when my dad saves up more money. thanks everyone

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, but you might want to work on the "spay fund" as much as possible. If she's been "hanging with a friend" it might already be too late and trust me, proper care, feeding and re-homing of a litter of kittens is going to cost more than a spay would. Check around with local shelters and vets because there may be some low-cost spays available to you. I know here in the city of Chicago, if you live in a certain zip code area, spay and neuters are free. All you have to do is get the animal to their clinic on a certain day. But free is definitely worth looking into.

I think you will have no problem getting her in. She may still want to go out, and may become a "door darter" meaning she will dash out the door the second it's open, before you even have a chance to think that she might be there, so spaying her is the best route to take.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

so i can spay her if shes already pregnant?

Yes, although you want to do it ASAP. I'm sure every vet is different in how far along in the pregnancy they will do the spay, but the sooner the better.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

so if i get her spayed, can i take her outside with me when i am out there? she never runs away. and i am outside alot because i live on a hobby farm so i have to feed the animals alot.

Yes, once she is spayed there will be no more risk of her getting pregnant.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

AT THAT VERY YOUNG AGE,SHE WILL ADAPT,VERY EASILY,TO LIFE,WITH YOU,AND I WOULD HAVE HER SPAYED,ASAP,AS I KNOW,FROM EXPERIENCE,AS SCRAPPY 2,WAS EXPECTING,LONG,BEFORE SHE WAS A YEAR OLD,AND LOST,THE KITTEN.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS