Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What dog gets along with cats?

What dog gets along with cats?

Hi, I am moving out on my own and am wanting to get a dog to help feel safer. What breed of dog is good with cats. I have a cat named Star and would not want anything to harm her.

Annie
    Happiness is the little things in life.

Most dogs can be trained to be nice to cats. I have three dogs and a cat, and they all get along great.

But that being said, when you are out of the house, it is best to keep them seperated, at least for the first couple of days

I don't think there's a certain breed that will always get along with cats. Every dog is different. A lot depends on the environment they grew up in. In general, high prey dogs such as huskies and malamutes are not good with cats. I think a good idea would be to either get a puppy and raise it with the cat or get an adult dog from a rescue that has already been tested around cats. Either way, it's usually not a good idea to leave the dog and cat alone together.

What Wolf_Q said is true. Some dogs have a higher prey or herder drive.

I got Lucy after I had gotten my cats. She was a pup and realized the cats were boss. She has never hurt them and always respected them. Save a life if you can.I don't think you will have a problem. Good Luck!

I think it totally depends on the dog. I have a lab and a german shep mix who get along great with my cats. I never thought my lab would though!

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Lots of times rescues and shelters are able to provide background information on dogs that have been dropped off. You can always find a dog that has been raised with cats and gets along with them.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

We have always had both cats and dogs. We have had an akita, doberman, mini doberman, dalmation, german sheppard and several mutts all have gotten along well with the cats and have never hurt them. I don't think breed has the slightly thing to do with it. Here is our Akita with my 2 girls.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Jackie that pic is adorable!

I have a siberian husky and I've always thought I could train him to be ok with cats (at least leave them alone). From what he's met of cats (through bars of a cage at a pet store) he was only mildly interested and just wagged his tail...except when a kitten swatted at him, he jumped back scared lol. My theory has not been tested (can't have a cat where I live) but I have hope...I know there are other huskies that are cat-friendly. But anyway (sorry I'm in a rambling mood) high prey drive dogs are usually going to be a lot harder to train to be nice to cats than your average dogs...herding dogs too as they have the instinct to chase and herd obviously.

Maybe a smaller, calmer dog. You said you wanted a dog to feel safer, small dogs can have big barks and enjoy defending the door when the doorbell rings, trust me. Most rescue groups will test their dogs around cats, children, etc. to know if they would be ok to go to a home with them.

I think if they are brought up with cats they will more than likely be fine.

Nala my Lab/Dane??/Grey?? loves cats. She lets them crawl all over her. She's seen cats since day one.

Kiara my Rottie mix is fine with cats but is very curious around them. She hasn't had as much experience with cats as Nala has.

Simba my Shepherd/Pit is very anxious and upset around cats. I'm not sure if he'd actually attack one, I don't want to find out, but he pants and whines and cries when near one. He was never around housecats until a few years ago when my brother got his cat.

Here's a picture of my Nala with Caeleigh the cat.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I love all these dog & cat pictures! Sooo cute!!

We have 2 labs and a cat, and though nobody cuddles, we all get along fine. We allow Marigold to have the safe haven of tables and counters so she can jump to where she feels safe (like when the dogs get to wrestling and such). But lots of times they will all 3 be on the floor at the same time, and no issues.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    In general, high prey dogs such as huskies and malamutes are not good with cats.
    My sister has eight cats and where she lived before she bought her house, her neighbors had a part-huskie dog that would come over to play with her. The silly puppy kept her cats herded onto the porch! Every time one would jump down, it would herd it gently back up! It was so cute to watch

Annie, you know I wanna see pics of the new puppy when you get one, okay?
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

okay for me

alex the wonder dog is a lab-terrier mystery mix. he has been in cat households since his first day with me.his prey drive is very low,so he is fine with cats. eileen and her cats moved in last month, after some preliminary curious sniffing attempts (all of which were met with cat slaps), he's more interested in their food and litter pans. glaciers' story with cats and dogs are very different.
    rescues and shelters often temperment test dogs and can give you some insight . hope this helps.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

My Golden Retrievers and our Lab are fine with our cats. In fact, they can be found cuddling many times! Don't know how good my sappy ones would be for making one feel protected, though! LOL!!!!

It depends on the dog's past experience. My dog is great with cats because she was brought up with one from 8 weeks old on. I'd be hesitant about bringing a cat or dog into a house where the other animal had never had any sort of contact (or extended time) with the other species.