Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What dog gets along with cats?

When I adopted Kia, her paperwork said that she was good with cats, unknown with dogs. This really surprised me as she's a Husky/Cattle Dog mix. Both breeds are considered high prey drive/herders.

But she loves her kitty siblings.

~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

when I used to have a cat that had kittens and Muneca was like 2 or 3. Muneca saw my cat taking her kittens by mouth and taking them from one spot to another. So muneca went up to a kitten grab it by the neck like my cat did and she helped my cat everyday with the kittens. It was so cute Muneca is so nice to cats she loves to play with them but sometimes cats won't go near her becuase she is too hyper lol. but once they get to know her then they will be playing with each other.
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

I have 5 dogs and 5 cats and they all get along just fine. Granted they are small dogs. Nova, my dachshund mix was the only one who wanted to give the cats a hard time when I got her. I kept her crated when I wasn't home so she couldn't harm the cats. She now does great with them. It took some time, but she learned to not chase or bother them. I no longer crate her when I'm not home, but I do use a baby gate to confine her to the Kitchen. She has free run of the house when I'm home, but not when I'm away.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Generally speaking there are some breeds that do better with Cats, even if they're not brought up with them. I've had 2 Cairn Terriers and 2 Collies, none of which were socialized with Cats. Later in life they've all had encounters with Cats at one time or another. The 2 Terriers were just horrible towards'em. Definitely in kill mode.

The 2 Collies though have been very good. They just don't have any instinct to kill anything. Oz was nose to nose recently with a stray Cat that was all hunched up and hissing ready to attack him. Oz just stood there, looking perplexed that anybody wouldn't wanna be his friend. I called him to me before he got slapped though. Gull's got a lil' more herding instinct and would like to prod'em in the butt with his nose, but any kind of cross word and he's heading for the hills too. Barking at'em from a safe distance.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to bring a Cat into the family when it's just the 2 Collies and me. I won't even consider it while my lil' Cairn is still alive though.

I've also never felt safer since I've gotten the Collies. They are so alert and have barks that could wake the dead. I never worry anymore about anybody breaking in the house. They won't even get in the back yard without me knowing it.

The drawback of this though, is they would not make very good apartment dogs. And even in the suburbs, you've got to do quite a bit a training on controlling the amount of barking. Also, being herding dogs, they need a certain amount of physical and mental stimulation everyday to be well behaved.

Edited cuz I forgot to add my picture of Oz's sister with a Cat:

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Buster and Miagi get along! It's probably because they grew up together!!

Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I recommend going through a rescue that uses foster homes. The problem with shelters is that a lot of times the previous owners (if any) don't provide very much information about the dog. A foster parent can give you a better idea about the dog's temperment and their behavior towards cats.

If you do a search on petfinder.com for dogs in your area, a lot of times the profiles themselves will let you know how well the dog gets along with cats.

Of course, I ended up going through the city pound to get my dog, a Jack Rusell Terrier mix (not known to be very good with kitties...), and he's fantastic with my cats... So, just to show you...

I have a pit bull pup, a pit bull mix and a ACD mix. I have a cat. My dogs are all great with the cat. They have been raised with him. I dont let them gang up on him at all. Ebony, she is the pit bull pup and the cat play together. Its so cute. I need to take a picture next time they play together.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

I think as long as the dog and cat are raised together then they will get along fine. We have had both our cats before we even got our 2 dogs and we introduced them Day 1 and they have been fine ever since. Oh by the way, we have a lab and a chihuahua.

OMG Krista !!!! This picture had me lauging out loud

Miagi and Buster wrestling in adorable. They must be a riot together.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Originally posted by kittycats_delight
    OMG Krista !!!! This picture had me lauging out loud

Miagi and Buster wrestling in adorable. They must be a riot together.
    oh they are!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..