Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding on best second dog as companion for my first

Thanks. Along with this toy issue is the question of when to break up a fight.

Pesto usually "starts it" with Smudge,and Smudge (being 4 yrs older) doesn't want to bother, gets annoyed, and growls. Then they play/fight.

Then, they start bearing their teeth (really scary) and growling a LOT. It scares me so I separate them out of fear they may do harm. Should I? Or should I let them fight? How do I know when to intervene?

Ugh. Fighting over toys and just plain fighting. I know it will get better, but I'm trying to figure out how to best handle these situations in the meantime so I can have a happy family

Thanks.

I wait and count to 4 if there still going at it then i get involed Cheyanne is still correcting Phoenix and she'll snap at him with her teeth showing and it looks like there fighting but 2 seconds after there fine i give her the chance to correct him first then like i said if it last longer then the 4 seconds i get them away from eachother i've only had to do it a couple times though they usally stop before i need to get involed

I also use the same with with the 2 boys Aspen + PHoenix

Well, Pesto is SO adorable!-and will most likely be full of energy! All of those breeds are energetic, especially the English Springer Spaniel. You'll have a blast though!

As for the toys, Pesto should learn that he has to share the toys, and so does Smudge. I agree with Den Anne Pen, count to four!

Well, good luck and congrats once again on your new addition!-
    Steph and the gang!