Thread: Canine Cushing's

Canine Cushing's

My vet told me that Robbie. my nine year old wheaten/poodle cross, may have Cushing's disease. Since Robbie looks and behaves as though he is perfectly healthy, I was shocked and devastated by the vet's comments. He said that the diagnosis can be confirmed with bloodwork, which I've decided to postpone for a while. I would like to hear from others whose dogs have been diagnosed with this and how their dogs are making out.

my dog has never had this but my otughts and prayers are with you!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Cushings usually displays symptoms of hair loss and round, growing tummy. With no symptoms, I wonder why your vet brought up Cushings at all.

Cushings is treatable with drugs. But I think in your case, I would get a second opinion.

I've checked some websites on Cushing's, amd he does have some of the symptoms, such as increased panting and wanting to lie on cool surfaces, but I think these things could be due simply to his being hot. I think I'll wait till the weather cools off, and, if these things continue, get him tested. He does drink a lot, but then, in this hot weather so do I!

Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting this. I read your post and thought about my own dog. I looked up the Cushings on the internet and have found symptoms in Scooby. He is at the 6 year old point and has shown signs of symptoms mentioned. I can't afford treatment right now, but I am going to keep observant. I will probably mention it to my vet the next time we go in.
    We never have figured out the real cause of his sudden right side paralysis. His whole right side "died" one day 2 years ago. I never believed it was really a "stroke". However, that is the explanation the vet came up with. I've always believed there was an underlying cause not yet diagnosed. He's improved remarkably. The paralysis is still there but not as bad.
    Thanks again for posting this. I am sure others may want to start watching symptoms in their pets as well. This definetely is helping point me in a better direction to find out what is wrong with Scooby and get treatment. Things just haven't been "adding up" to a correct diagnosis. Thanks.
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Cushings

If the only symptoms are panting and increased thirst then the preliminary diagnosis is probably a bit premature. Cushings in general can result in an intolerance to environmental temperatures. But usually more serious symptoms appear such as increased appetite leading to obesity or rapid gain of weight, water retention, digestive disturbances, skin dryness and pigmentation, alopecia or hair loss, and very frequently muscle weakness.

The increased thirst (and urination) is definitely a sign of Cushings. But also it's a sign of many other medical problems, and/or the result of a Summer environment. The later you can guage for yourself by asking if your dog previously had problems with the heat? My 2 yr old 1/2 GP female pants, while I and her little brother are quite comfortable. She just runs hot, and tends to drink a lot of water.

So what you need to do is to ask if the excessive drinking represents a change for your dog over past years? If so then a basic blood profile should be taken with the idea the problem could be anything. If you are unsure it might be wise to wait until the summer is over to see if they persist, or if other symptoms of a metabolic or disease problem appear. This is not to suggest you should wait for most or all of the symptoms to appear, as if it is Cushings then the sooner the treatment the better for your dog. The speculation here is that your Vet is adding the excessive drinking, plus age, plus the fact Poodles have a genetic tendency towards Cushings, and considering it a possibility. A blood panel may get supporting evidence, but a Dexamethasone loading test is required for diagnosis.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I think that I will do as dragondawg has suggested, which is to wait until the weather cools off and see whether Robbie's panting and frequent drinking persist. If they do, I'll have him tested.
    In the meantime, I'll be praying that he doesn't have Cushing's. Robbie is a big teddybear and one of the lights of my life!