Thread: Hyperthyroidism Question

Hyperthyroidism Question

Okay people, rescuers and all of the above, We have an 8 to 10 year old cat that has hyperthyroidism, the vet put her on some medicine that has made her very sick, she isnt interested in food anymore, and I am wondering what others have to say about a diet for a cat with this problem. I know there are many diets for many problems in cats, can anyone tell me or have experiance with one and if so what do you feed it, what works best? ANy help would be appreciated

Thanks

P.s. I was told kitty season slows around october....see you in a few months!!!!!

Carrie

SCRAPPY,HAD A HYPER ACTIVE THYROID,HE LICKED HIS ARMS,AND LEGS CLEAN,AND LOST A LOT,OF WEIGHT,UNTIL THE I BELEIVE CLAVAMOX,CALMED HIM DOWN.
    HE WAS RACING AROUND ,THE HOUSE LIKE A KITTEN.
    I LOVE IT,UNTIL I SAW THOSE SIDE EFFECTS!

GOOD LUCK,WITH YOUR GIRL.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My RB Tex suffered a long time with hyperthyroidism. He lost alot of weight at the end, and I was pretty sad to see the progression. Tex was on two drugs- methimidazole and calcitriol. The methimidazole controlled the thyroid. I don't remember it making him 'sick' as you describe, though. What dose is he on? Have you tried a 1/4 tab of an antacid? Tell me more about the meds...after 10 years of trying to help Tex, we kind of tried out lots of different things.