Thread: Why a triangle shaved on a cat's back?

Why a triangle shaved on a cat's back?*edit w/pics*

I put the dogs out around 3am last night. Shortly after, I heard a bunch of commotion and I ran outside. Dusty had a beautiful Blue Point Himalyan (I think). She's declawed, so she couldn't escape. She's ok. (I am sooooo disappointed in Dusty, btw.) Anyways, she's got a perfect triangle on her back above her bottom. It is so perfect that it appears to be shaved. Is that a symbol of something? Like a recent surgury?

*edit* Here are some pics of her. They aren't that great, sorry. She's litterbox trained and so sweet. The vet suggested that it may be fur shaved for a mat or an abcess. -Probably a mat because the skin looks fine.

Last edited by Tonya; 08-26-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Thank you Wolfie!

I cannot think of a surgery that would require that kind of shaving; maybe he/she was shaved because of the fur matting in that area? Seems to be a common place for mats.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Cat's Back

mmmm Dont think so & think maybe it was to ID the cat & or the babies owner had a reason due to it being declawed.. Hey are you going to keep the little baby? So glad you was able to rescue the poor little thing..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Re: Cat's Back

Originally posted by lvpets2002
    mmmm Dont think so & think maybe it was to ID the cat & or the babies owner had a reason due to it being declawed.. Hey are you going to keep the little baby? So glad you was able to rescue the poor little thing..
    No, I can't keep her. My son is allergic to cats. I shouldn't even have the two that I already have. My own cats need to be rehomed, but I just don't have the heart to do it. She won't be thrown out on the streets though. She'll stay here until we find her owners. If we don't find her owners, she'll get adopted fast. She looks like a pure bred Blue Point Himalyan. She's gorgeous. And really really sweet.

I called the vet, he doesn't know what the triangle would be either. He says maybe my dogs ripped her fur out. (I hate to think that.) But the skin doesn't look irritated like it was ripped out. Plus the odds of it coming out in a perfect triangle would be slim.

Oh, I'm so upset again just thinking about it. I really thought my dogs are cat friendly. Now I'm scared to leave them alone anymore with my cats. I don't feel like I can trust them any longer.

Thank you Wolfie!

Triangle on cat's back

Oh dont blame your dogs & they just doing what dogs do & that is to chase cats & if the skin looks ok then I dont think the dogs had anything to do with the mark.. Trust me you would know if the dogs roughed her /him up.. The kitty sounds like she looks like my Splenda {walmart parking lot throw away rescue baby..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I DONT THINK,THAT YOUR DOGS HAD ANYTHING,TO DO,WITH THAT,THE MOST LOGICAL EXPLANATION,IS THE THE FUR,HAD TO BE SHAVED,FOR MATTS!
    ITS A SHAME,THAT YOU CANNOT KEEP,THIS GORGEOUS CAT,HOPEFULLY SOMEONE,WILL HAVE A FURR EVER HOME,AVAILABLE!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Awww, she sounds lovely. I can't imagine what that triangle is though...a surgery usually would leave a lot of hair missing. Hmm....

I know what you mean by being disappointed in Dusty. While its just in his nature, you feel bad he could scare a kitty like he did. (((hugs))) I know I'd feel the same way.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Sounds like a matt-shave spot to me. Poor kitty! I hope her owners show up, she sounds like a beauty.

I hope her owners show up soon. She sounds lovely.

I have a bit of a different perspective on dogs and cats together than most. I've been called paranoid more than once. However, the moment I found Dominique's broken body in my yard is forever burned into my memory. My dogs are never left unattended with my cats. Never, not for a second. If the dogs are inside and I need to leave the room, they come with me or are somehow confined. The cats always have an escape route. My dogs have never shown any aggression towards the cats in the house and it sounds like Dusty hasn't either. Unfortunately, an outdoor cat in my yard is in trouble. That's never happening to me again. I'd much rather be paranoid than ever live through this pain again.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I added a few pictures of her. They're blurry, I don't know what's going on with my camera.

Thank you Wolfie!