Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Catnip Party in Progress at My House!

Wild Catnip Party in Progress at My House!

Things have been a little dull for the boys lately, so I decided to throw them a catnip party this morning.
    The first to arrive was Chester. I sprinkled some dried catnip on the old table we use as brushing station, food station, and alternate play area. He loved it and commenced to rolling in it. He was in obvious kitty heaven.

Luke was next on the scene. I scattered his on top of an old box that holds my ancient 360 (or was that 386?, never mind) computer. He proceeded to eat his catnip.

Leonardo came running to share in the fun. He enjoyed his in the bathroom on an OLD RECORD cabinet my brother made when he was in High School. (I told you it was OLD!)

Lastly, Leroy, decided to mosey in to see what was going on. He enjoyed his sprinkled on the floor. We must be mindful of old bones, you know.

Oh, such goings on! The rolls, flips, and crossed eyes I saw. Eventhough, we only had dried catnip, not fresh; I can honestly say, a great time was had by all. In fact, it is still going on but winding down, hopefully to long naps.

Former User Guest
    Bummer, we haven't found any catnip yet, so I guess Casper and Kitty can't have their party yet.
    I'm glad Luke, Chester, Leonardo and Leroy had fun!

WoW! Sounds like Chester, Luke and Leo had quite the fine time!

Casper & Kitty- You don't have Catnip in Belgium?!?!?! OOH the horror... no catnip?

What a great way to 'spice' things up MOFF!!! Actually, your post gave me the idea that I should probably do the same for my boys. They haven't had any 'nip' as of late, and could probably use it! After a good romp in the nip, I have noticed that they do sleep a little better! Such a devious mom I am! LOL LOL

I'm glad that fun was had by all furkids!!
    **hugs**

How fun!! My kitties sometimes like the nip but most of the time could care less :/
    Someone said they might be a little too young still.

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

Bet that was a real good party MOFF - glad the boys enjoyed your efforts so much
    Are they still sleeping? LOL LOL

Lynne

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by LoudLou

Casper & Kitty- You don't have Catnip in Belgium?!?!?! OOH the horror... no catnip?
    We do, but have to find it first! We found once but the price was way too much for a little bag like that... for the time being, C & K have to wait

I throw catnip parties about a half an hour before I want to go to bed ... devious, eh? The kids do sleep more heartily after their happy wild frolicking!

It seems less effective if we have them more often than once, maybe twice a week, tops. Do your kids get blase with it, too, after a while?

Most cats don't react to nip before they are six months old: I deliberately avoided toys with catnip on it prior to 'the magic' age. Livvy didn't respond at first so we thought she was one of those immune to it's allure, but she loves it now.

I've never tried valerian on cats, but have read that some cats respond more strongly to it than to nip. Any one who has seen their cat respond to both care to comment?

I've heard dried nip is a stimulant that the cats wear themselves out with, and that fresh is makes them sleepy without the feistiness -- my kids have only experienced dried. Again, is this accurate?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Originally posted by AmberLee

It seems less effective if we have them more often than once, maybe twice a week, tops. Do your kids get blase with it, too, after a while?
    Yes, The Beans get bored with catnip but only if it's the cheap grocery store stuff. Cosmic Catnip or any of the "organic" get 'em evrytime.

....and that fresh is makes them sleepy without the feistiness -- my kids have only experienced dried. Again, is this accurate?
    We had wonderful neighbors at our last house who used to bring over FRESH catnip to The Beans, they would get extremely feisty and race around the house for about 15 min. or so and then they would CRASH for a long while. We called it Crash & Burn Nip. It was fun.

Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

We do, but have to find it first! We found once but the price was way too much for a little bag like that... for the time being, C & K have to wait
    Niina~

Would you like for Sophie and I to "smuggle" some nip for ya?

Hmm...in all seriousness, I wonder:
    1) if the postal service, etc. would allow it and
    2) how much it'd cost

LOL...I can see the headlines now,
    CAT LOVERS SAY, "IT'S JUST NIP" BUT POLICE OFFICIALS DISAGREE

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    ...I can see the headlines now ...
    I've no idea what the postal regulations for mailing produce across country lines are, but once a friend in India decided to surprise me by mailing me a pound of tea. The postal inspectors here got rather excited, apparently. The never said a word to me, but the package was not ... intact when I got it and I had to go in to the P.O., identify myself, and pick it up. Felt rather like a (inept) criminal.

I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I bought a bag of seeds a few weeks ago when I went to the grocery store. Unfortunately, it has rained every weekend since, so the seeds are still in the bag and my mums are still in their pots!

Originally posted by zippy-kat

Niina~

Would you like for Sophie and I to "smuggle" some nip for ya?

Hmm...in all seriousness, I wonder:
    1) if the postal service, etc. would allow it and
    2) how much it'd cost

LOL...I can see the headlines now,
    CAT LOVERS SAY, "IT'S JUST NIP" BUT POLICE OFFICIALS DISAGREE
    Hey, I am at the post office all of the time, so I will ask if we can ship it to Belgium. I don't think the problem would be at our end - but this funny smelling dried grassy stuff might get you into trouble at your end. Catnip - Right Lady!!!! We've heard it before.

But you know.............for Casper I would do anything!!!

Niina - can you imagine you and I in jail over a shipment of Catnip? Well, we would just get all of the PetTalkers to .....

TALK!!

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by gini

But you know.............for Casper I would do anything!!!

Niina - can you imagine you and I in jail over a shipment of Catnip? Well, we would just get all of the PetTalkers to .....

TALK!!
    LOL Gini,that would look "good" the on the police papers "shipped to jail for catnip shipment" I bet that would make us real heroes in jail, LOL!

But seriously, THANK YOU everyone (Lynne too, got your PM), but you don't have to send that catnip, I'm sure sooner or later we will find one we can afford. The bag we saw wasn't worth of bying, being so small and costing a lot!
    You are all so sweet, for offering to do this, wow! Getting a tear and two in my eyes....

I've heard dried nip is a stimulant that the cats wear themselves out with, and that fresh is makes them sleepy without the feistiness -- my kids have only experienced dried. Again, is this accurate?
    I grow it in my flowerbed and bring in several leaves when I decide to throw a catnip party. Trevor rolls in it and gets all mellow and glassy-eyed. Andy is like a speeded up movie! He gets into a frenzy and attacks it while rubbing it all over his cheeks. The end result is they 'sleep it off!' LOL! I saw the seeds in a local gardening store last year, although my plants came from my sister-in-law several years ago. The nice thing is the plants come back every year.