Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving presentations..

Giving presentations..

Tomorrow in my 4th hour class, I have to present a collage i made. Basically they're just cut up stuff from magazines that describe me. I absolutely HATE presenting things in front of class, really if she offered an F or presenting, i'd take the F. Thats how much i hate it. Anyways, i was just curious to know how many of you feel the same, and how many of you don't mind to present?

Im going to be a nervous wreck all day long.

I do not mind giving presentations at all! Bring it on!

Plan - and write out what you're going to say ahead of time. Read it in front of a mirror or to another person as practice.

Then, when you are going to present, take a deep breath, and then smile, focus not on any of the people - don't even look at them if that makes you MORE nervous. Focus instead on something just over their heads at the back of the room. It can be a clock, just the wall, exit sign, pick something to focus on and smile at.

It is good practice for the rest of life, I promise.

Oh that's me. I absolutely hate presenting. Speech class in college was such a nightmare (although I got an A ) It seems that as soon as I am finished and can sit back down, I feel drained and relieved. I get so worked up about it. Towards the end of college, I started getting a little better about it, but in middle & high school I would be nervous for about a week before a presentation. It does help knowing that others feel the same way. I had to present in an english class once and before class I talked with a few other students and realized that they were just as nervous as me! Most people are concentrating so much on their own nervousness that they are not even paying attention to the current presenter! Sorry, I'm babbling...take deep breaths and try to relax a little...good luck!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Oh, yeah, I got many zeroes (or is it zeros? D'OH!) in classes where you had to give presentations. I'm horrible at it. But, I just worked my butt off on everything else and did as much extra credit stuff as was humanly possible to avoid failing the entire class. I mean, if I'd given the presentation and it had stunk, I would have gotten an "F", but, I would take the zero. Sad, I know. But, yeah, I totally feel you. If I ever have kids, it'll be something I work on with them a lot...like speech classes and public speaking and stuff way early on. It can really get in the way not being able to do it, and, you're certainly limited by having that fear...I know I am. Not daily or anything, but, there have been some things I've missed out on because I'm afraid of public speaking. I can sit in front of a small group now, and, talk, but, not like standing at a podium in front of a group. I remember on Oprah once they were talking about fears, and, public speaking was the number one fear, even over death!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I HATE it. Somehow I managed to get out of them from grade 9 to grade 12 lol.We had to do them, but I got out of them

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Well, I was in choir and a soloist while in High school. I didn't mind doing that at all, in fact that is what I loved most. HOWEVER, I hated public speaking. It made my hands sweat and it made me really nervous. Sometimes it still does, but now I pretend it is just a performance and I am okay. I know I'm weird.

I hate it, too, and in this past week I had to stand up 3 separate times on 3 different days and give speeches. The first two times I didn't use a microphone, but the third was with a microphone, and I dunno it was too much. I got shaky and stuff, but Mark said you couldn't even tell.

Take a deep breath, and smile. Like Karen suggested, practice out loud -- in front of a mirror, to a teddy bear, even to your Mom or Dad.

Best of Luck!!!!!

I love presentations, they are my strong point. Yours is the easiest presentation out there -- you know all the material -- its basically talking about YOU. Thats easy! go knock 'em dead!

Amber, you are a beautiful, well spoken girl (even if you're a little bit shy ). One good thing is that you're talking about a subject (YOU) that is near and dear to your heart!!!! I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Hey, how about pretending that you're telling it to us instead of your teacher and classmates? You trust us!!!! Right???? Just imagine that classroom full of Pet Talkers who want to know more about you!!!!!

My mom use to tell me to picture everyone in their underwear.....seriously I use to hate presentations too. I have kind of gotten over it but I use to get physically ill.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    What helps me is knowing that most of them aren't really listening to me because they are sitting there dreading when it's their turn to get up and speak. Kind of takes the pressure off knowing that are just as scared as I.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I love public speaking. While I can write reports in a jiffy, I get more out of it if I have to speak about it. Just like when I read outloud, I feel like an idiot but it's the only way to understand what I'm reading.

I'm also an actress, so I'm used to be in front of an audience and acting completely normal.

If I get nervous before going in front of my class, it's because I'm worried I'll make myself look stupid because I'll say something wrong. Like, it'll appear as if I don't know what I'm talking about. But I suck it up and regain confidence, and go at it.

Amber, you have the easiest topic to speak about. Know what you're going to say, how long you'll talk for, and don't look at people directly in the eyes. Looking at them in the eyes is a way for you to lose your train of thought. Look above their heads... and if you have to, image them naked. Though, that can scar you more than speaking in public sometimes.... I know you can do it! Good luck!
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

Hate public speaking! It causes me to stutter and I can feel my mind racing with all the things I want to say, but my mouth just can't spit them out fast enough. I know I have trouble, and sometimes I just need to remember to breath deep, and slow down and take it one thought at a time.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I HATED IT,UNTIL I GOT A HOLD,OF AN ARTICLE,ON CATS,AND I FELT SO GOOD,ABOUT THE SUBJECT,THAT I DID WELL.
    GET SOME PHOTOS,OF YOU,AND YOUR CATS,AND I THINK,THAT YOU WILL GO VERY WELL,INDEED!!

GO AMBER,GO!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

When I was in grade 4 or 5 and had to do a public speaking speech thing in front of the school, I was SO nervous and did such a bad job, I was so embarrassed.

But when I graduated from D.A.R.E. and had to write a speech, I read it very well. The lights were off, and I am WAY better doing things when I can't see the people.

As for in-class presentations, I'm alright at them. My class this year was small and knew me, my weirdness and all. I just did whatever, didn't get to worried about it.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...