Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My cat is limping...

Restrictions

Tom, thanks for your suggestion.

Right now and for the past three days he has been restricting himself. The day of and the day after he hurt himself, he was still climbing etc. but then stopped. He is doing a minimal amount of walking right now and only hopping on to the sofa and in and out of the litter box. If he starts flipping around as he begins to feel better, I will confine him.

There is really only one room without places to jump to, and in a couple of other rooms, I can put a ladder or stool for him to use. For the time being, he is just sleeping his life away.

He usually greets me at the door in the evenings, waiting for some wet food, but right now all he does is greet me, eat, then heads for the sofa. Maybe I bought a potato instead of a cat!

I think he will be fine in time. The little rascal.

I'm happy that there isn't anything seriously wrong with Graemer

One week ago on Saturday

Well, Graemer hasn't improved much at all. I will wait until Thursday and call the Vet to schedule xrays. I assume they will have to knock him out for it/them. I may just wait until Monday to take him in, giving him a little more time to repair. The Vet said he thought it was an injured joint. The poor kitty. His sister had really taken over the house and beats up on him from time to time. Miley really thinks she's Queen Bee right now! Wait until he gets better, she'll probably slip right back into the #2 spot! Well, one of them has to be #2. Graemer is usually #1 +++++ and really gives it to Miley. The tables have turned. That must depress Graemer all the more!

Chin up Graemer, I'm sure you will get better soon! I think I remember that there was someone else who went through the same thing a few months back. It took a while, but then it got sorted out. I wish I could remember more details, my memory is not what it used to be

Sasvermont

Hi ! Just checking in on Graemer boy. How's he doing
    lately. Better I hope. Being 'gimpy' is the pits.

Hope you are hanging in there little guy !!! Liz & Buddy.

Better, but not back to normal

Well, today was Graemer's first day of playing a bit. He is still favoring his paw but getting better. It has been two weeks to the day. Since the Vet wasn't alarmed I figured whatever happened to his leg/paw will heal on its own. I am anti pills for humans and pets and so is my Vet. Graemer seems to know his limitations. I suspect he will have one more week of getting better... Thanks for thinking about him. He has been such a little trooper through this entire episode. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Sunday afternoon - Graemer is much better today and is probably about 85% - leaping, jumping, playing but still limping a little! That little monkey!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 03-17-2002 at 10:05 AM.

So glad to hear he's getting back to normal. It's hard on us when our kitties aren't feeling well, but it sounds like he'll be back to normal in no time.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Sas, your furkids are Abys' I beleive. If so, they are prone to seek and jump up on and off of high places. I have noticed this behavior in Jumper, but not in the house -not as much as he used to when he was younger.

Cats have remarkable recovery abilities. Last summer my grand matriarch Mama cat was attacked, probably by coyotes. Any way, I hadn't seen her for a few days, and though she had fellen vicitm, as she is extremely independant and refuses to stay inside with my other furkids. A very sad time, let me tell you, although deep down inside I believed that she was OK but hiding. Sure enough she came in one afternoon barely walking because her back left leg was nearly bit off, but without external injuries. I took as good a care of her as best I could. Within about 10 days she was walking normal again and now, you can't tell she was ever injured there. I don' t think that dog or coyote will be back because I'm sure she did an "number" on his face!

.......wayne

Wow Wayne, good thing your kitty survived. Yes, I do have two Abys. Graemer, the male is just impossible to keep track of. He leaps from place to place and is constantly falling into dish drain trays in the sink and pots and pans on counters - you name it, he's fallen into it. I think this time he must have landed wrong or hit something that hurt him. He is a sweet boy, just filled with adventure. Miley, his sis, is very cautious, although likes to climb - just not leap! Graemer leaps all the time! I caught him checking out the top of a door this morning...and I told him NO. Since I am gone all day, he is more than able to jump from door to door while I am gone!

100%

As of yesterday, Graemer is back to his usual self. He is jumping on tops of doors etc. etc. and playing "for keeps" with Miley. It is so nice to see him happy again. It took him almost two weeks to get over his mishap. Thought we could close this thread forever...thanks for all of your comments and concerns.

That's super good news

Good to hear it, sasvermont!

It's so hard on us when our little kitties aren't feeling good, but it sounds like Graemer came through it just fine.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

HOORAAY! Graemer so glad you are ALL better!!! We was worried 'bout ya!

be quick !!

I see I have to be quick , as you are planning to shut this tread ...!
    I must have overlooked this tread the past days , but now I 'm glad I found it !!Wish the very best to graemer !!!!!!

I'm glad that Graemer is finally back to normal. I have a cat that is half abby and he loves to jump,run,and leap up on things. I guess you just have to let them do what comes naturally and hope that they won't injure themselves.