Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My cat is limping...

Off to the vet

Well, I just can't stand looking at a cat that is normally very active, just sit around and sleep. I know that sleep is good for illnesses, but I would feel even worse about Graemer if there was something more serious happening and I was unaware. So I will take my checkbook out and take him this afternoon. It is so pitiful to see him limping and sleeping and squinting his eyes. He must be in pain. Poor baby!

Gook luck and keep us posted!

Good Sasvermont - let us know what the DR found.

Bless his heart.....he's letting you know that something isn't right. So glad you are taking him to the vet. Let us know what they say, and we'll definitely continue to pray for him to improve.

Logan

Keep us Posted!! Hope Graemer is Okay.!!!!!!

thank you

Thank you. I don't think it is life threatening, but it is so sad to see him SO inactive and SAD. It is breaking my heart. He is usually into everything and moving at a high rate of speed. He is totally idle right now - and just looks out over his pile of covers on the sofa whenever he hears something that use to drive him to distraction. I can't wait for this to be over with. I am leaving for the Vet in about an hour. I guess my kittens are like kids to me and I hate to see children and/or animals suffer. I could never work in a shelter or an orphanage. It would break my heart every moment I was there. Yikes. Good thing I work with lawyers, they never tug on anyone's heart strings!

Former User Guest
    Let us know then how Greamer is okay? Poor boy, we'll be thinking of him!

Graemer okay now?

My cat Ingrid has a slight tick of bursitis in her left shoulder. That actually developed years ago, and it made her limp from time to time (like when she first got going), but hardly seems to bother her any more.

A few years ago, I think maybe she'd fallen on her bottom; I was worried that her tail was broken or paralyzed, because it looked really pathetic--it just hung limp and swung very slightly when she moved around, instead of being her flag & rudder. But it turned out she'd bruised it somehow (she cried when I felt it to see if there was a real problem), and I guess it hurt less simply to let it hang. She got over it within a few days, but she looked very sad during that time.

Ingrid's coming up on 15 tears old, but she's still pretty nimble. In the morning when I get out of the shower, she leaps from atop le water closet onto the sink to be in my way & try to talk me into coming back to sleep with her instead of leaving for work. If only she knew how much I'd love to do that!

Ingrid's last remaining litter mate (who was an indoor/outdoor cat named Stella) vanished from her home about 2 years ago; by then Stella wasn't much of a jumper any more. So I feel pretty good about the way Ingrid gets around. She can jump okay when & where she wants--although if something like my guitar case (latched & on its side) is available, that makes a very handy ramp to walk up before she gets on the bed.

One story about Stella: onc she got up into her humans' attic, but they didn't realize that until many hours later. Finally it was time for bed, but "Where's the cat?" By then they had begun hearing muffled cries & little noises from in the bathroom. To make a long story short, Mike had to empty all the towels out of the cabinet, and then he used an electric drill & a hammer to bash out an exit. Stella had fallen down inside the wall! Luckily she wasn't hurt, but when Stella finally came out after all that drama, she was kind of freaked out, and she followed Mike & Lynn around for days.

We're back from the Vet

Well, all is ok. The Vet couldn't figure it out. He examined Graemer from head to toe.

Graemer still won't put his weight on his injured leg, but the Vet convinced me that it is not a dislocation or break but instead just an injury to a joint. He told me to wait another week and if it is still an issue, they will do a series of xrays.

Graemer doesn't mind going to the Vet, in fact I think he enjoyed being handled by so many people at one time. I think he liked the gentle "feeling all over" by the Vet. He didn't wimper at all when they twisted and pulled on his leg. Go figure.

I am relaxed now to know that I am not doing more damage to an already injured leg, by allowing it to heal on its own. I did my duty as a MOM and so now I can relax and wait for recovery.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts. I will keep you guys posted. My guess is that this type of thing will continue to happen to that CAT, since he likes to fly around this house on any given day, jumping from one high spot to the next. Just not THIS week - and maybe not NEXT week!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 03-08-2002 at 05:25 AM.

Yeah Good News!!

HooRaay! Graemer is Ok. Silly kittie worries his Mama like that! Kids!

Oh how we love them.

Oh Graemer, you've really given your Mama a fright! Hope that a bit more time will bring more good news! Lots of get well hugs and kisses to you Graemer!!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Sasvermont,

So happy the vet didn't find any fever or signs of
    infection. Wow. A joint injury. Graemer must have really
    'smacked' it hard.Which leg is it?, I'm thinking a front leg?
    I'm so glad he got to come home & rest. Get better
    quick Graemer !

p.s. Sas, did the vet suggest anything for pain or do you
    guys just have to tough it out for awhile ?

No medications

Lizbud, the vet didn't think he needed any medication since he didn't wince or meow when the vet twisted and pulled and pushed on his leg. The vet did see that Grammy wasn't putting much weight on his leg when he walked.

The injury was to his front left leg, the same one he had a hornet sting on in August this past summer. That was an emergency visit since his leg swelled. It was all over within one day, since the vet gave him a diuretic and reduced the swelling. Once the swelling went down, he was fine. I don't think these two incidents are related, although the vet did comment on it.

I love my Vet because he does not immediately jump to pills, shots and extreme measures. The vet loves cats and really likes my two - he is more of the "wait and see if it can heal on its own" type person.

Graemer is a bit of a sissy (Moma's boy) and is very spoiled. So I imagine he is cashing in on the sympathy, although he is in some pain, I am sure. Graemer is able to walk, eat, sleep, use the litter....just slowly and he is not playing. So we are going to continue on the path of "keeping an eye open" on all his vitals.

I feel so relieved that the kitty doesn't have a broken or dislocated leg.

I will keep you all posted if anything changes - but it seems as though all will be down hill from this point. I can really appreciate how stressful it is for some folks who's pets are really ill and require constant attention. Yikes. Such worry.

Thank you for your concerns!!!!

CATS!!!!!!

Last edited by sasvermont; 03-08-2002 at 07:20 AM.

Former User Guest
    But don't you just love them anyways Sas

Good vibes for Graemer from Casper and Kitty!

If Graemer insists on climbing into high places while he should be resting, is there any possibility he might tolerate having his range restricted (like being confined to a bathroom & hall)? I hate to do that to a cat, but sometimes it's necessary. Do you think it's worth a try? He might go stir-crazy, but it seems as if that'd be better than taking a chance of aggravating that injury just when it's trying to heal.

Anyway--just a thought.