Thread: Fleas

Fleas

Hi all, got a question on fleas. I have very, very little experience with fleas since neither of my two have ever had a problem. I've never even had to get them a collar - or anything - because they (the fleas) have just never been around. The only time I ran into fleas was in a friend's cat who had them. The poor kitty had lumpy bumpy's all over, and it wasn't even pleasant to pet the poor kitty. She had obviously gotten them bad, and was in the process of being treated.

So the reason I bring this up is just last night I noticed a bare spot on Peanut's ear. It was the outside, the top part of the ear, not the part that goes into the ear. Oh, maybe ear mites? Anyway, I was kind of suspicious of it because for some reason she is stressed lately and licking her legs clean (de-hairing them) and I thought I noticed a part of her belly looking a little bare too, but that's so hard to tell because it's so hairy down there. So at first I thought the ear might be a new bald spot that she's creating, but it seemed an awful odd spot because she really can't get to it to lick, and she chews on her legs so it's not that her legs are bare because she's using them to clean her ears excessively.

I looked real close at the spot, but couldn't see any critters, but I know sometimes they can be so small that people can't see them, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I will keep an eye on it, and if it continues to get bigger, worse or seems to start bothering her, I will take her to the vet, but thought I'd get some ideas first.

I'm kind of wondering if it's some kind of bug too, because they were outside for the first time last weekend. Normally not a problem, but I know they could pick something up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Flea comb

I would purchase a flea comb....(small with very tiny teeth)..you can get them very cheaply at a pet store. Comb through the cat's hair (usually around the hind legs....and rear end)...and if you get little black specks you are looking at flea eggs...if the speck is moving, you are looking at a flea. Some pets have alergies to fleas, and start dropping their hair.... I use Advantage cat flea control even though my guys don't go outside and don't have fleas. I get this at the vet's and apply it once a month to the back of their furry little necks. Seems to work. Let us know how this turns out. I would put my money on fleas being the problem........

Good luck!

T&P M, Jumper has an alergic reaction to flea bites. This caused him to pull out his fur around his tail and rump. When I took him to the vets to find the problem, she said that he was alergic to fleas, and took a flea-comb and dug up a few of the critters. Now I use "frontline" on him or "bio spot" which is not as expensive. All of his fur is now growing back. Apparently, some cats are alergic to fleas, and the best way to keep them off of your pet is either to comb them once a week and put an anti-flea solution on your furkid, or use amonth-long medes like frontline.

I might add, that if you decide to use a flea comb on them, have a pot of boiling water or a dish of some solvent ready, such as rubbing alcohol , to kill the fleas that may come up on the comb.

.......wayne

I also use advantage on my cats. They are indoors all the time but last year they got fleas. We can bring them in on our shoes or clothing or they can come from untreated animals that live nearby. Since I've been using advantage, I haven't had a problem. Good luck.

Originally posted by wayne0214

I might add, that if you decide to use a flea comb on them, have a pot of boiling water or a dish of some solvent ready, such as rubbing alcohol , to kill the fleas that may come up on the comb.
    Soapy water works, too. The soap decrease the surface tension of the water, preventing the fleas from being able to simply float on top and skip away! This is good for kitties that don't like to be combed, as having dangerous boiling water or solvents around a flying cat might not be a good idea.

zip lock baggie and lots of pressure!

When my cats did have fleas (years ago) I would put the nasty fleas in a zip lock baggie and then press the he_ _ out of the baggie to kill (flatten the flea). It worked for me! Good luck!

I don't think I'll ever be able to crush crackers now without thinking of you!