Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maine Coon

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie
    I have a maine coon...purebred...his name is Timmy. Do you know anyone on here who makes the signatures? I want a pic of him on there.
    I have a rescued girl here that must be a Maine coon..she's a huge cat, not too well nourished yet, but we're working on that. As far as signatures go, post your question in "General" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers for one.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Quote Originally Posted by BigCharles
    I have a Maine Coon mix. Lamoni is such a sweat heart for being a big cat. Here he is at three months.

He only got bigger. Softer, too.

They are a special kind of cat. Of course they are all special. They call maine Coons "Gentle Giants" and Lamoni fits that description. We keep him trim with good food. He hates garlic so we started putting it in EVERYTHING. He now won't go near most human food.

Lamoni is what is called an Orange and White Bi-color (or bi-colour). I have seen Tabbys, solids, and Tiger Stripes at the cat shows.

Gotta Love 'Em.
    Yeah, gotta Love 'Em...what a gorgeous hunk of boy Maine Coon! We have a retired show girl...Maine Coon...Brown Tabby Classic with White. She belonged to a breeder and had two litters. Her kittens went for $500. each. She is smaller than the big male M.C.'s who fathered her kittens, but she produced some really pretty Classics and Silvers.

Most of all she is just our good lap cat with show days long behind although her colors are outstanding and we think she is quite beautiful. Once in a while if you pick her up she'll think she is to stretch all out like she used to do for the judges. She is six now and we have had her since she was 2 1/2.

She is a one person cat more or less but is friendly to most...just only cuddles with me. And she lives in a household with three other cats (all rescued strays we have gathered in over the years) so has to take her turn.

Here she is below with our rescued boy, LB, under the Christmas tree. Gusty (our M.C. girl) is on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

pic of my past loved kitty - looks like a Maine Coon RESCUE cat!

I will try an attachment here of a kitty I loved for 14 years... ZACKY. This is a drawing of him and he was obviously a Maine Coon kitty...

See what you think. He had the big paws and beautiful face too...

Sylvi -- trying to fix my sig still
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    See KITTY ART by SylviAnn
    www.SylviART.com/T-shirts

See KITTY ART for CAT LOVERS!!!

The drawing of Zacky is great!

I love Main Coons. Unfortunately in Europe they are not common, and there is almost no chance to adopt one from a shelter
    I can always enjoy Main Coon pictures on PT!

Maine Coons

I have Maine Coons also and I do breed them. They come in many colors and patterns. Except pointed as a siamese. They are know for being gentle and getting along with most everyone. $1300 outside the states may be right but I would make sure if you purchase one it is from a breeder. That way you get the registration papers with your kitten. Here in the states the only Maine Coons that cost that much is getting a kitten with breeding rights. And the breeder does have to fill out the form to be able to breed them, no breeding rights no registration papers for the kittens. And what a beautiful Red Tabby and White you have very nice looking! A bi color is either a black and white or a blue and white in the standards for the breed. I fell in love with the breed when I was helping a friend check on a female due at any time and the owner was out for the evening. Well, we came in as my Jez was being born. I ended up taking her and her 1/2 sister when they were old enough.
    Last edited by rpcathouse; 10-19-2005 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Font, Color and size did not come up.
    Tiny Paws (!?!) ready to walk in and on your heart. They will dig a hole and plant themselves there and grow like weeds wrapping themselves around your heart and soul.

I LOVE maine coons!!! I saw this gorgeous one at a catshow a month ago:
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks Stella (rpcathouse) for your answer!
    We also have some Main Coon breeders in France, but for the moment I cannot take the decision to get a cat from a breeder. Please don't take any offense for what I am saying now, I have nothing against you and breeders!
    I just visited your website, and I loved it! All your cats are so gorgeous! Stella has amazing colors! I also appreciated very much the "introduction" page, where we can see that you are not just a breeder and produce kitties to be sold, but that you really love them and that there are part of your family! I have seen other websites where you arrive directly to the pictures of kittens to be sold, a few pics of the parents and no other information is available

I have started to help in a cat foundation. The persons here take the kitties that are too wild, or sick or too young to go to the public shelter. And I see so many kitties who are waiting for a home! I just can't think of adopting a kitten from a cattery while so many of these kitties are here
    In the same time it is also fortunate that we have good breeders to maintain all the wonderful breeds!
    The problem for cat lovers is that there are too many kitties to be adopted everywhere and we have to make a choice!

Anyway, I am convinced you are doing a great job. And I would love to see a house with so many Maine Coons in it! Heaven!!!!

Hugs

LOL! I don't take any offense! I commend you on what you are doing. And God knows there are many kitties who need wonderful loving homes. As there are many people who need to be educated on spay/neuter and keeping kitties safe and healthy. And that is part of what I do also. I do help out with the areas feral population. Feeding the ones left outside all the time that have no fresh food or water available. And the Maine Coon is the breed that is the natural cat. It was an outside cat that the climate and surroundings turned it into the cat it is today. So back then someone decided to take this outdoor/barn cat in. And I guess that is why I fell in love with the breed it is an natural breed who developed from being an outdoor cat. And the breeders have not messed with it trying to make changes in the cat as some of the other breeds have done over the years. Thank you for your very kind word on my web site. I am very proud of all the cats and some of them belong to my adult children and friends. I love visitors and so do the cats because they know it is play time and time to show off. They can be big show offs. Thank you again.
    Tiny Paws (!?!) ready to walk in and on your heart. They will dig a hole and plant themselves there and grow like weeds wrapping themselves around your heart and soul.

Wow, I would love too see some more pics of all your furkids on the Cat General. I am a relatively new PT'er and I never noticed before that you have posted about them or may be I missed the threads.

And I agree with you, there are so many unresponsible owners, and thus so many abandonned kitties or unexpected babies because their cats are not sterilised!

I think that the reason why I completely melt for Maine Coons is, like you, that they just look like "normal" wild cats, which they originally are. In France and Europe in general, we have the equivalent that we commonly call "European" cat. They are not a breed, but just "street" cats, and they did not develop the Maine Coon's long hair (due to the warmer climate, I guess).
    My Peppito is the perfect example of a "European" tabby:

Matilda may be huge

The cat I adopted October 1 seems to be mostly Maine Coon. It has been a lesson that such a big animal can still be in her kittenhood. She has little idea of her size.

I call her Matilda. She's a smoky silver-gray topside, but white inside her ears & on her tummy & the underside of her tail. No real stripes except around her face. Her eyes are much rounder & close-set than most cats I have seen, and they're kind of a copper-green (hazel?). Her paws are gigantic.

So I'm wondering how big she may get. She already eats a heck of a lot more than my petite & dainty little Ingrid did. The one part of her that's actually smaller than Ingrid is her head, and it was when I noticed that she still has her baby teeth that I began to realize she's still very young.

She scoots around horizontally much more than she jumps; she tends to grab things with both of her front paws (usually without using her claws); she rolls around and stretches her legs everywhere and gets into some hilarious positions; she can meow if she really wants to (kind of a precious crying if she's under stress), but she generally doesn't talk at all & occasionally just chirps instead. She will tolerate getting picked up but she'd really rather not be held. All these seem to be Maine Coon traits.

So I'm kind of wondering what I have gotten into. It was just super lonely at my house after Ingrid died, and I didn't want to make the mistake of getting another cat too soon, or one that I'd expect to be like Ingrid. Well, aside from liking her tummy rubbed, Matilda definitely doesn't have much of anything in common with Ingrid!

Matilda

I think it's wonderful you have adopted a new cat, and you gave it time to get used to Ingrid not being around and didn't rush this. I've been looking at some of the pictures of the other maine coons on the site I was wondering how much you would feed them during the day?

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid's dad
    The cat I adopted October 1 seems to be mostly Maine Coon. It has been a lesson that such a big animal can still be in her kittenhood. She has little idea of her size.
    I call her Matilda.

So I'm wondering how big she may get. She already eats a heck of a lot more than my petite & dainty little Ingrid did. The one part of her that's actually smaller than Ingrid is her head, and it was when I noticed that she still has her baby teeth that I began to realize she's still very young.

So I'm kind of wondering what I have gotten into. It was just super lonely at my house after Ingrid died, and I didn't want to make the mistake of getting another cat too soon, or one that I'd expect to be like Ingrid. Well, aside from liking her tummy rubbed, Matilda definitely doesn't have much of anything in common with Ingrid!
    Congratulatiosn on adopting a Maine Coon, the gentle giants of the cat world. Yes, they have NO idea of their size and remain kittenish longer than other breeds - the kinder books say they take longer to mature. I find it endearing that my huge Mishi, who we estimate to be 4 or 5 years old, still acts like a giant kitten. I LOVE that. My experience wish Mishi is that he's VERY social and affectionate, loves people and water and at times can be extremely silly and playful, which is why I call him my Main Goon!

Maine Coons can get up to and over 20 lbs. Follow the feeding instructions on the food or ask your vet how much to feed. Mishi really doesn't eat any more than other cats I've had the privilege of being guardian to.

P.S. We need pictures!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10