Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ally attacks again :(

Ally attacks again :(

Ally just attacked me again. I was carrying her to the kitchen and she grabbed my hand and bit really hard, whilst scratching with her claws. I have 4 REALLY deap punctures on the back of my left hand. I actually had to sit down on the floor after she let go - I was in so much pain I felt faint. I am sitting here bawling my eyes out. Why does she do this??

Warren is away - he gets back tomorrow. I already know what he is going to say - that a cat with these severe savage behavioural problems cannot be around a baby. (She has bitten almost everyone except Warren, so it's not just me, although her nastiest attacks seem to be reserved for me). There is no way I can hide the bites, plus tomorrow my hand will be bruised and I won't be able to use it properly.

It's like she is twisting a knife in my heart. I love her so much. Why does she keep doing this????

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I am sorry to read this Julie! Do you need to have your hand checked by the doctor?? I wish I had something to offer - hope those with experience in aggressive kitties can help you more. I do not know why Ally would do this and yes, I imagine it makes you feel so terrible that she does this

I'm so sorry about Ally. The only thing I can suggest is to possibly put her on medication...this may help?
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

I am so sorry. It sounds just awful. Have you tried putting her on a behavioral medicine? It might be a comprimise for you.

I am so sorry to hear this! How long has she been acting that way? Is it because of the new baby and the changes that she has noticed? Do these attacks only happen when she is being carried?

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Oh Julie, I'm sorry to hear about your hand and about how naughty Ally is being.

I wonder too...does she only bite when she is being handled or is it at other times as well.

I know when I was working to try to socialize Merlin (who turned out to be someone's cat from up the street) I noticed that he would become aggressive and hiss and try to bite when he became over stimulated. If you pet him too much or tried to be around him he would get very aggitated. I later found out that that was his nature...he was like that with his other family.

I wonder if Ally becomes over stimulated by being petted or handled and this is how she reacts by biting.

I would try some calming agents with her. I know of Rescue Remedy, Pet Calm and Content Tablets that can be used as well as I would even try the Feliaway with her.

If you have trouble getting these types of things I would be happy to ship some to you. I just need your address again.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Some more info:

1. I don't think it can be related to the new baby - nothing has chnaged in the house yet (although I know some animals can sense pregnancy etc), but Ally has a history of this - and there is no pattern or specific trigger event

2. I have discussed medication with the vet here. Vet care is very outdated here (we have ONLY JUST got animal antibiotics in a "vitamin cream" form here in the last few months. Ally is impossible to pill, and the vet here will not look into the possibility of mixing the medication into a compound to apply to her skin.

3. Feliway plugins made no noticable difference.

4. It's not related to being carried - she will attack my arm or wrist if she is laying on my lap, or my ankles and feet if she is on the floor - it is unprovoked and vicious - she does NOT let go!!

5. I am up-to-date with Tetenus, and have washed with an antibiotic soap and now have an ice pack on and off, to try and reduce the swelling.

I am just so worried that Warren will put his foot down and say that she has to go. I love her so much.

Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I'm so sorry, Ally. It sounds like you've tried all the normal remedies to help calm her so I have no idea what to try next.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

5. I am up-to-date with Tetenus, and have washed with an antibiotic soap and now have an ice pack on and off, to try and reduce the swelling.
    You really need to get on antibiotics today. Reese bit me two weeks ago - just one puncture wound. I saw the doctor within 2 hours, and started on antibiotics. I still had considerable swelling and pain over the next two days.

Please don't wait on this. It could get bad enough you would need IV meds.

Originally posted by Grace
    You really need to get on antibiotics today. Reese bit me two weeks ago - just one puncture wound. I saw the doctor within 2 hours, and started on antibiotics. I still had considerable swelling and pain over the next two days.

Please don't wait on this. It could get bad enough you would need IV meds.
    Thanks - I'll have to see how it is in the morning - it's 10:30 at night here, and I don't want to go to an emergency clinic as:

1. it will totally freak Warren out and
    2. I want to check with my OBGYN first before I take anything

Ally Cat's Mommy

I wish I could offer advice . Spook sometimes attacks unprovoked, but I can tell with her that she is really trying to play but she thinks she can be as rough with us as she is with Remus. She will pounce on our feet and bite hard, but Ive noticed that if we react like a momcat with a misbehaving kitten she backs off. Spook never draws blood though.

I hope you can come to a solution, as it seems that you do love your kitty very much.

Julie, what about a large stuffed toy for Ally....maybe she could take her aggression out on the toy.

When she attacks could you maybe spray her with water...maybe she will eventually learn that what she is doing is not nice.

I hope your hand is OK. I know what you are going through with that. My mom's cat Lillie-Mae bit me with all 4 fangs a few years ago....we were trying to medicate her.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Originally posted by catlover4ever
    Julie, what about a large stuffed toy for Ally....maybe she could take her aggression out on the toy.

LOL Meg.....

I think you have a webcam into my kitchen. Ally will lie around when she is in a bad mood, GLARING at me or Connor, and LITERALLY RIP THE STUFFING out of all her stuffed toys, and even the cat beds. Little b&*(( has some serious anger issues

Ally Cat's Mommy

Originally posted by catlover4ever

If you have trouble getting these types of things I would be happy to ship some to you. I just need your address again.
    Thanks for the offer - you are such an angel (((HUGS))). I actually think she needs a personality transplant.

Anyone have ANY idea if it would be HUMANE and POSSIBLE to have her incisors "blunted"a bit by the vet??? I can't help but think that if they weren't so damn sharp they wouldn't do quite so much damage???

Ally Cat's Mommy

OMG, I'm so very sorry to hear about Ally. You say she has a history of doing this...have you had her since kittenhood? I'm wondering if it's a neurological problem in the brain as opposed to anger issues?

Please take care of that bite and let us know in the morning how you are feeling.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.